At 77 i am giving up camping. I have been towing a small trailer for years but need advise for towing

A caravan of some sort and what mite be suitable. Help!

what is the year, engine, and specification designation is your Jazz?, I don't imagine it will have a very good tow capacity, but with those details I can check it for you :)

Is this the Honda Jazz CVT Auto? I seem to recall a discussion (not sure if it was this forum or another) where it was confirmed that the CVT is not suitable for towing any braked or unbraked trailer. The information came from the Honda website.

As CaravanTech said if you can confirm the exact year/model of your Jazz then it will help.

Mark.

Bailey Unicorn 3 Barcelona

Hyundai Santa Fe Premium 7 seater

The Jazz is only just powerful enough to propel itself along yet alone dropping an albeit small caravan on the back. Its really not a suitable car for towing a caravan.

<p>2007 Sterling Cruach Cuillin & 2016 Volvo XC60 SE D4 190

Have you considered a teardrop trailer? Could be the answer as they can be towed by virtually anything with an engine & tow bar.

Have a look here. There are a few places that hire them as well so you could try before you buy.

http://teardroptrailers. co. uk

I refer you to the Rt Hon Member for the 19th Century.....................pictured just to the left of your screen..................

The Jazz is only just powerful enough to propel itself along yet alone dropping an albeit small caravan on the back. Its really not a suitable car for towing a caravan.

THE 2004 Jazz has 82 bhp, kerbweight of 980 kg, giving a bhp tonne of approx. 83 bhp/tonne. Depending on which version of the 2. 5 diesel you choose, the Navara has about 69 or 84 bhp/tonne. Everyone's favorite towcar (the old shape Sorento) has about 81 bhp/tonne.

There are plenty of reasons for not choosing to tow (something small) with the Jazz but I don't think power is one of them.

THE 2004 Jazz has 82 bhp, kerbweight of 980 kg, giving a bhp tonne of approx. 83 bhp/tonne. Depending on which version of the 2. 5 diesel you choose, the Navara has about 69 or 84 bhp/tonne. Everyone's favorite towcar (the old shape Sorento) has about 81 bhp/tonne.

There are plenty of reasons for not choosing to tow (something small) with the Jazz but I don't think power is one of them.

Bhp isnt the only thing to consider and there is a big difference between petrol and diesel. With only 119Nm of torque available it will be woeful with a caravan on the back. As you have used my Navara as a comparison I have 450Nm if torque to play with. It is not a suitable car for towing a caravan with. Edited by SamP

This site gives the CVT a no tow on all models

http://carleasingmadesimple. com/business-car-leasing/honda/jazz/towing-capacity/

Old Jazz had conventional fluid torque converter auto so you can read posts of Autos towing but i think the CVT is a no .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

This site gives the CVT a no tow on all models

http://carleasingmadesimple. com/business-car-leasing/honda/jazz/towing-capacity/

Old Jazz had conventional fluid torque converter auto so you can read posts of Autos towing but i think the CVT is a no .

Dave

The vehicle in question is a 2004 model, so might have the older style torque converter. this is why i've suggested a tear drop. they are unbraked, so well below what even the smallest of caravans weigh. gets you off the ground though & you can just turn up, drop the steadies & your done. Some have leccy hook ups etc.

Edited by Woodie106

I refer you to the Rt Hon Member for the 19th Century.....................pictured just to the left of your screen..................

The OP states he has a CVT . Post 4. Rubber bands ?

cvt-mechanism.jpg

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

It is not a suitable car for towing a caravan with.

Great to know that you speak with such authority on the subject; I'm assuming you've tried the Jazz with a caravan (of suitable weight)?

The OP states he has a CVT . Post 4. Rubber bands ?

cvt-mechanism.jpg

Dave

Hi Dave,

As I raised in post #3 I have definitely read before that CVT models are not suitable for towing, whether it is some or all I have no idea. I will do some searching on the web and see if I can find the info again.

Mark.

Bailey Unicorn 3 Barcelona

Hyundai Santa Fe Premium 7 seater

Hi Dave,

As I raised in post #3 I have definitely read before that CVT models are not suitable for towing, whether it is some or all I have no idea. I will do some searching on the web and see if I can find the info again.

Mark.

I think that it is the newer model (GE) which is not recommended for towing. The GD version appears to be allowed to tow 800 or 1000 kg (braked).

http://clubjazz. org/forum/index. php?topic=4845. 0

I'm not saying it will be a great towcar, but there are definitely options with it. Personally, given that the Jazz holds its value so well, I'd be tempted to sell it and buy something that gives you more options.

Either that or go for a Penine type trailer tent, which are excellent if you don't want to camp in the dead of winter. Loads of space, proper beds, fits in your garage, fridge, cooker (and shower at a push).

We test drove the latest Honda Jazz 1. 4 and frankly the performance was rubbish .

If you were carrying 4 adults it would be slow especially on long gradients .

Compared to the equivalent sized VW / Skoda / Seat range of cars fitted with the 1. 4 tsi engine which have good performance.

Towing 500 kg the Jazz would be painfully slow on any gradients and couldn't imagine

being on the Motorway

2022 Pilote P696GJ for European touring-  2022 Coachman VIP 565 for touring the UK towed by a 2020 Kia Sportage GT line S

Great to know that you speak with such authority on the subject; I'm assuming you've tried the Jazz with a caravan (of suitable weight)?

I've had the displeasure of driving a 1. 4 Jazz as a courtesy car last year, it can hardly drag itself along, yet alone a caravan. Have you driven one?

According to Autotrader the 1. 4 CVT Jazz of 2004 has a braked tow limit of 1000kg. But it's now 10 years old and power declines with age, plus the drivetrain will be well worn, so I'd not be happy about pulling anything over 800kg, just to be safe.

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

Bhp isnt the only thing to consider

Quite true, though it was the criteria you originally highlighted in you verdict.

I've had the displeasure of driving a 1. 4 Jazz as a courtesy car last year, it can hardly drag itself along, yet alone a caravan. Have you driven one?

Yes, and it was one of the original ones (that the OP has). It was fine, fairly spritely actually. I have found that since owning a powerful diesel car it is possible to become de-tuned to how to drive smaller petrols, maybe that's what's happened to you?

Quite true, though it was the criteria you originally highlighted in you verdict.

It wasn't, but never mind.

We are all entitled to differing opinions, and mine is that this car is not suitable to tow even a small caravan.

It wasn't, but never mind.

We are all entitled to differing opinions, and mine is that this car is not suitable to tow even a small caravan.

Indeed we are. But we should probably make it clear what is our opinion (rather than stating it as fact), especially if it is a little over-exaggerated and possibly referring to the wrong car.

post-50503-0-19735200-1407443282_thumb.jpg

Seriously ignoring the scooter the little van behind is about the only option .

Ste

. ....One life, Don't waste it fixing LandRovers .

Ford F350 SUPERDUTY Towing 640 Hobby @ 1%

Yes, and it was one of the original ones (that the OP has). It was fine, fairly spritely actually. I have found that since owning a powerful diesel car it is possible to become de-tuned to how to drive smaller petrols, maybe that's what's happened to you?

" Fairly sprightly " I certainly didn't think the latest models were anything startling compared to the VW polo with same sized engine, we test drove both the 1. 2 and the 1. 4 jazz and there more geared for economy than performance .

The OP should forget towing anything bigger than a very small garden trailer because there not up to it .

Or buy a more suitable car

2022 Pilote P696GJ for European touring-  2022 Coachman VIP 565 for touring the UK towed by a 2020 Kia Sportage GT line S

Indeed we are. But we should probably make it clear what is our opinion (rather than stating it as fact), especially if it is a little over-exaggerated and possibly referring to the wrong car.

Oh how pedantic do you want to get. Yes I said powerful (referring to the engine and it's performance in general, not the actual BHP) for gods sake.

Anybody who think's a 1. 4 petrol Jazz is a credible tow car is frankly delusional.

" Fairly sprightly " I certainly didn't think the latest models were anything startling compared to the VW polo with same sized engine, we test drove both the 1. 2 and the 1. 4 jazz and there more geared for economy than performance .

The OP should forget towing anything bigger than a very small garden trailer because there not up to it .

Or buy a more suitable car

Yep, wrong car again. And yes, spritely was a good word for it. My experience of petrol Polos has been that they are generally slow and underpowered, I haven't tried a recent one though.

"Not up to it"? What's your evidence? What assumptions are you making? why not be more helpful and say "I prefer a heavier caravan and you might have to be prepared to tow either an ultra lightweight or a folder and not expect earth shattering performance"?

Oh how pedantic do you want to get. Yes I said powerful (referring to the engine and it's performance in general, not the actual BHP) for gods sake.

Anybody who think's a 1. 4 petrol Jazz is a credible tow car is frankly delusional.

Oh dear, you seem rattled. If asked to measure engine power what possible other metric did you assume anyone would use?

As for credible, then I guess it depends on what you are expecting it to tow. I certainly wouldn't pick it for out 'van, but I don't think I am delusional (but then I would say that as I am delusional).