Cl Sites And Awnings

F185

Anyone else get annoyed by some CL owners who charge for awnings.

Surely if you pay for a nights rent of a area of their land it shouldn't matter if you have a awning attached to your caravan, as it's on your pitch that you've rented.

I can just about see why some charge for extra people and dogs but awnings, a piece of cloth that's attached to you van,and some want to charge up to £3 a night.

Ok on a commercial site awnings take up valuable caravan space, but on a CL they're only allowed 5 vans anyway, so why charge.

If I never had an awning and just outlined the area of one using windbreaks I wouldn't be charged, so why if it's attached to your van, aaghhh !!!!

I use CLs all the time now the kids don't come with us, and when searching for one to book I more often than not ignore the ones who want to charge, and go for ones that have a one price for everything.

Is it greed on the owners part or is is me getting old and cantankerous. :)

Compass Corona (Magnum) 524 (2003) -----------VW Passat Alltrack 170 BHP DSG

It's just rip off Britain, I used to go to a CL in Perthshire . We had a caravan store sun canopy and where charged half the price of an awning, the only physical part of the canopy touching the ground where the feet of the poles, about the size of an old 10p.

I have found a CL in the borders that have huge hard standing pitches, no high or low season just a flat rate, no charge for awning & no charge for constant water all for less than £20 per night.

Another thing that ticks me off is ferry pricing, years ago we took the van abroad and I put a roof box on the car & was charged £25 each way on the ferry . Now I could understand if because of the roof box I had to be put in a special area of high roofline, but the box isn't higher than the van .

It's just rip off Britain, I used to go to a CL in Perthshire . We had a caravan store sun canopy and where charged half the price of an awning, the only physical part of the canopy touching the ground where the feet of the poles, about the size of an old 10p.

I have found a CL in the borders that have huge hard standing pitches, no high or low season just a flat rate, no charge for awning & no charge for constant water all for less than £20 per night.

Another thing that ticks me off is ferry pricing, years ago we took the van abroad and I put a roof box on the car & was charged £25 each way on the ferry . Now I could understand if because of the roof box I had to be put in a special area of high roofline, but the box isn't higher than the van .

As you say it's rip off Britain.

I remember reading in one of the CC magazines a while back about a person who set up a CL site and was complaining that no one was booking in, as it was fairly local to me I thought I'd look it up and maybe visit.

After finding it on the website I now know why people wasn't using it, £20 for outfit +2, £2 p/n for EHU, £2. 50 for awning, £1. 50 per extra person p/n, £1. 50 per dog.

Now I don't mind paying up to £20 p/n for a good CL but for that money I'd want everything.

There are some fantastic CL sites around charging £10-£15 per night all in, and I think I'll stick to them. It's a shame as the CL network is brilliant and wish there was more of them, but some just spoil it IMO,

Unfortunately an awning can do just as much damage to a grass pitch whether there are 5 vans or 500 on the site, so a little extra to cover that I feel is justified (but I emphasise "a little extra").

The former is true of some sites, but at the risk of offending, I feel the latter may also be true ;)

Happy holidays. ..

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

Haha your probably right on the last bit Gordon,

BUT. .... The point is, as I see things, a small 2 berth caravan without an awning will pay the same as a huge twin axles 6 berth caravan twice the size, that can't be right surely, If the owner is charging for damage to the grass!!., and like I said earlier if I make a 3 sided area next my van using windbreaks the size of an awning, then I won't be charged but sticking a awning up, BANG £3 please.

Ahh your right Gordon cantankerous. ..:):) hehe

We were booking a CL and were asked the size of the caravan,

no mention was made of charges for an awning either on the

telephone or on the website, so I asked, yes there was a charge

for an awning. I asked why and was told because it was "extra"

I cancelled the booking then and there on the telephone (the booking

process not completed, no card details taken) they phoned back a while

afterwards asking for the non refundable deposit to be paid!!

We were booking a CL and were asked the size of the caravan,

no mention was made of charges for an awning either on the

telephone or on the website, so I asked, yes there was a charge

for an awning. I asked why and was told because it was "extra"

I cancelled the booking then and there on the telephone (the booking

process not completed, no card details taken) they phoned back a while

afterwards asking for the non refundable deposit to be paid!!

That's awful, they won't be candidates for CL of the year then? It's sad that some owners spoil what is to me, the only reason we have a caravan, if it wasn't for these site offering peace and tranquility at a reasonable cost we would of given up caravanning years ago.

That's awful, they won't be candidates for CL of the year then? It's sad that some owners spoil what is to me, the only reason we have a caravan, if it wasn't for these site offering peace and tranquility at a reasonable cost we would of given up caravanning years ago.

Same with us although I do think that CL owners should be able to charge exactly what they want. As Gordon says above, the damage some awning carpets do to the grass takes time and money to rectify and puts that part of the site out of action for a while. We never use an awning carpet and as a consequence hardly leave a trace when we leave. Maybe they should just charge for the use of an awning carpet, or ban them ! ;)

2007 Bailey Series 5 Senator Arizona (4 berth, rear bathroom, side dinette) towed by a 57 Kia Sorento XS Auto with Kumho KL17 tyres, Reich Mover, Kampa Rally 390, Caravan Tyres : GT Radial Maxmiler CX 185/80 R14 102R.

At our last CL the access road badly needed pruning back, the hardcore was full of weeds,

the farmer said that it (the site) was a waste of money, hardly breaking even.

I would love to have a CL to run

Surely if you pay for a nights rent of a area of their land it shouldn't matter if you have a awning attached to your caravan, as it's on your pitch that you've rented.

I can just about see why some charge for extra people and dogs but awnings, a piece of cloth that's attached to you van,and some want to charge up to £3 a night.

Ok on a commercial site awnings take up valuable caravan space, but on a CL they're only allowed 5 vans anyway, so why charge.

If I never had an awning and just outlined the area of one using windbreaks I wouldn't be charged, so why if it's attached to your van, aaghhh !!!!

I use CLs all the time now the kids don't come with us, and when searching for one to book I more often than not ignore the ones who want to charge, and go for ones that have a one price for everything.

Perhaps the site owners think that those who book for a caravan and then suddenly expand the footprint with an awning (some of which have a bigger footprint than the caravan) are the greedy grabbers or jack-the-lad trying to grab more than they have paid for.

The site operator posts his charges, you decide if you are willing to pay.

It's a commercial decision, let's leave the personal bitchiness out of it.

Pete
Range Rover(s) towing Buccaneer Caravel

If they want me to pay a few quid for an awning, and then another couple of quid for my dogs, that's cost me an £42 a week. ...

. ...so we just look elsewhere, simple.

Edited by KimmyandGinge
Hyundai Santa Fe 2. 2 Premium Auto 2010 - Sterling Eccles Moonstone 2005 - Kampa Ace Air 300 2016

Perhaps the site owners think that those who book for a caravan and then suddenly expand the footprint with an awning (some of which have a bigger footprint than the caravan) are the greedy grabbers or jack-the-lad trying to grab more than they have paid for.

There was someone on this forum posted pictures if their pitch, car, caravan, full size awning & then a huge canopy extending the awning . It didn't say anything at the time, but that is just taking it too far .

The site operator posts his charges, you decide if you are willing to pay.

It's a commercial decision, let's leave the personal bitchiness out of it.

Ok Pete I take your point, there's no 'bitchiness' about it, each to their own eh

We've only stayed on 2 CLs and one was in February so no awning erected. The other did charge for awnings but when the owner was calculating the price she worked out 4 nights pitch fees and 3 nights awning supplement, "because you'll be taking the awning down the night before you leave" she said. I thought that was very considerate.

2019 Ford Kuga 2. 0 (150 bhp) AWD Manual and 2022 Coachman Acadia GTS 565.

I think it's impossible for us to compare one CL with another on price. We have no idea how much capital had to be invested to set up the site - some need drainage before they even start with electrics, water, showers etc.

Can't blame them for trying to, at least, recoup their costs let alone make a bit of profit!

Sam :beardy:

Theres another thread running, on site pricing. Both that one and this one have made mention of rip off Britain, but of course there are two sides to consider. There is the "want everything for nothing" Britain as well. Everybody has to make a living. Site owners need to turn a profit and campers need to believe that there is value in what they are getting. I tend to look at the total nightly cost by adding it all up, EHU, Dogs, Kids, awnings, etc etc, and if it all comes within what Im prepared to pay for a few days Im happy and even though I dont have kids, I understand why I might pay a bit more during peak times.

Theres another thread running, on site pricing. Both that one and this one have made mention of rip off Britain, but of course there are two sides to consider. There is the "want everything for nothing" Britain as well. Everybody has to make a living. Site owners need to turn a profit and campers need to believe that there is value in what they are getting. I tend to look at the total nightly cost by adding it all up, EHU, Dogs, Kids, awnings, etc etc, and if it all comes within what Im prepared to pay for a few days Im happy and even though I dont have kids, I understand why I might pay a bit more during peak times.

I'm the same. We've only been caravan for 11 months, but we've been on CS's with awning, dog and EHU for £15pn and Haven/Park Resorts sites for under £10pn all-in.

We're soon off to Cornwall (CS £15pn), Devon (Woolacombe Bay £20pn) both with dog, awning and EHU, and a stopover on the way down and back at a basic CL for £5pn ( dog, no awning or ehu). We're more than happy with all of those prices to be honest.

Edited by fatgit

I don't see many caravans without an awning, its part and parcel of caravanning,

most pitches are sized to take a car, caravan and awning. I have seen a Camper

towing a caravan and both put up awnings "face to face" these people were

charged for two pitches. So far we have paid around £12 per night on cl's and they

have all been worth it. No extras on any of them.

Ok without this escalating, I'm already a greedy grabbing jack the lad bitchy person who wants everything for nothing. .....oh *****.

All I'm saying is that I find it annoying to be charged extra for something that's on the pitch that I've rented for the night, and if I made an area the size of my van alongside my van using windbreaks then I'm ok but putting an awning up the same size is chargeable. The same would apply if I was charged for having 2 aquarolls, I would be annoyed that they are charging that and wouldn't go there. Simple.

I'll pay good money for a pitch, the most I've payed is £26 a night but that was an exceptional site with great sea views and I was happy to pay, I'm also happy for the CL owner to make a profit from doing it. So I don't want everything for nothing. So there. ..

Sorry to of upset some people who don't share my opinion, it's only MY opinion.

Generally speaking if you have a caravan you have an awning,

pitches are sized for Car, Caravan, Awning. The awning is part

and parcel of the caravanning experience.

We did see a camper towing a caravan, they pitched up with the

awnings on each of them "face to face" they were charged for two

pitches. So far we have paid £12 per night on Cl's and worth every

penny. No Extras.

When I wish to buy something on line I add the cost of delivery/postage and packing to the cost and use this figure to compare prices.

I do the same with CLs - add the charge for an awning to the site fee. I can then compare this price with other CLs/CSs in the vicinity. This way you are not getting worked up about someone else paying less than you because they have chosen not to use an awning. :)

Incidentally, when we first joined the Caravan Club (many moons ago) they charged extra for awnings. :o

Edited by Pollywollydoodle

Generally speaking if you have a caravan you have an awning,

pitches are sized for Car, Caravan, Awning. The awning is part

and parcel of the caravanning experience.

We did see a camper towing a caravan, they pitched up with the

awnings on each of them "face to face" they were charged for two

pitches. So far we have paid £12 per night on Cl's and worth every

penny. No Extras.

It seems awfully like an echo chamber on here

Pete

It seems awfully like an echo chamber on here

My first post disappeared, so I retyped it, then the other one came back :D

(I have requested the other version be deleted by the mods.)

Ok without this escalating, I'm already a greedy grabbing jack the lad bitchy person who wants everything for nothing. .....oh *****.

All I'm saying is that I find it annoying to be charged extra for something that's on the pitch that I've rented for the night, and if I made an area the size of my van alongside my van using windbreaks then I'm ok but putting an awning up the same size is chargeable. The same would apply if I was charged for having 2 aquarolls, I would be annoyed that they are charging that and wouldn't go there. Simple.

I'll pay good money for a pitch, the most I've payed is £26 a night but that was an exceptional site with great sea views and I was happy to pay, I'm also happy for the CL owner to make a profit from doing it. So I don't want everything for nothing. So there. ..

Sorry to of upset some people who don't share my opinion, it's only MY opinion.

I see light at the end of this tunnel

Pete