Acrylic Shelves

I have several of these in washroom of van. Problem is over the sink where shelf too wide. Any one know how to cut acrylics down to size?

CARPE DIEM

While we're talking, envious time is fleeing: pluck the day, put no trust in the future.

If you really must, I would use a fine toothed hacksaw blade and cut

close to the scribed line leaving a small amount to allow refinishing

the edge, chalked fine file then a steel to scrape and lightly radius

the edge. Acrylic can crack easily, could you not swop it for a narrower shelf?

Call into local Glaziers and get a bit of Polycarbonate sheet, usually some in the gash bin for free or a drink. This is the stuff that vandal proof windows etc are made of. can be cut with a saw and drilled etc just like wood but unlike acrylic does not shatter or crack. Warm it slowly with a hot air gun and you can even bend it. Almost indistructable in normal use. Make a new shelf = NO Risk.

Kia KX 3 auto / Bailey Alicanto Grande Estoril and Swift Challenger 570 (2010 model Not towed - used as a static)

I use a tilers wet cutter and go slow.

Just beginning our adventure. 95% of my time on CT I use my phone. As a result correct spelling and grammer will be used sparingly. This is due to fat fingers. Please don't let it bother you.

In the 4 years I have worked with acrylic, never have I had a sheet/ piece shatter . You have to make sure you get the right material for the job and the correct thickness.

Cut right with a laser cutter then no stress cracks will be on the cut edge and it is smooth with no rough edges. No filing/ sanding/ sawing needed. Its safer than glass. If acrylic were to break, it does not shatter, it cracks. If it shatters. .. using the wrong stuff as there are different types of acrylic.

An acrylic shelf is perfectly fine. I have no experience with cutting acrylic with anything other than a laser cutter. ... had no need to!!.

I think my Guardian Angel Drinks.

Call into local Glaziers and get a bit of Polycarbonate sheet, usually some in the gash bin for free or a drink. This is the stuff that vandal proof windows etc are made of. can be cut with a saw and drilled etc just like wood but unlike acrylic does not shatter or crack. Warm it slowly with a hot air gun and you can even bend it. Almost indistructable in normal use. Make a new shelf = NO Risk.

Not a rigid as acrylic and therefore no so good for shelves unless you have a lot of supports.

In the 4 years I have worked with acrylic, never have I had a sheet/ piece shatter . You have to make sure you get the right material for the job and the correct thickness.

Cut right with a laser cutter then no stress cracks will be on the cut edge and it is smooth with no rough edges. No filing/ sanding/ sawing needed. Its safer than glass. If acrylic were to break, it does not shatter, it cracks. If it shatters. .. using the wrong stuff as there are different types of acrylic.

An acrylic shelf is perfectly fine. I have no experience with cutting acrylic with anything other than a laser cutter. ... had no need to!!.

Had a quick look and those laser cutters are expensive!

Just beginning our adventure. 95% of my time on CT I use my phone. As a result correct spelling and grammer will be used sparingly. This is due to fat fingers. Please don't let it bother you.

The company I bought the shelves from are willing to sell me one customised to my dimensions which is fine as I can use the other elsewhere. Considered all your suggestions folks but either cost or my own cack handedness put me off the cutting route, thanks anyway.

CARPE DIEM

While we're talking, envious time is fleeing: pluck the day, put no trust in the future.