Keeping Sunlight Out

krrgolf

Having bought a new caravan and being advised not to leave the blinds down for too long to save the tension, we wanted to find a way of protecting the upholstery from fading. I expect this is not a new idea but thought I would share it. We used A1 180gsm white card cut to fit inside the runners. Where the window size is bigger than one sheet we used one side of double sided strong tape to join two pieces together. From the outside they look like blinds. Locally one sheet costs £3. 15.

Worth using the thicker card and they do need to be cut very slightly on the large side to help them stay in place.

I spray the cardboard with silver paint so it looks like blinds, I also have a gap at the top and bottom of the cardboard so the heat can dissipate. On the large front centre window I've folded the cardboard in plats so it stays put in hot weather and lets more heat escape.

On the inside I mark the cardboard so I know which window they fit ;)

I got the cardboard of off used pallets,

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

Having bought a new caravan and being advised not to leave the blinds down for too long to save the tension, we wanted to find a way of protecting the upholstery from fading. I expect this is not a new idea but thought I would share it. We used A1 180gsm white card cut to fit inside the runners. Where the window size is bigger than one sheet we used one side of double sided strong tape to join two pieces together. From the outside they look like blinds. Locally one sheet costs £3. 15.

Worth using the thicker card and they do need to be cut very slightly on the large side to help them stay in place.

If, when you have the blinds down, or as in your case, a light (heat) reflective surface on the inside of the windows, you do not have a means of heat ventilation, then there is a considerable risk of excessive heat build-up within the window envelope. This could cause the windows to de-laminate.

It is advisable to latch the windows in their ventilation position thus allowing the heat to dissipate.

Pete
Range Rover(s) towing Buccaneer Caravel

I use a dust sheet while the caravan sits not being used on the front bunks and drawer unit were I know the sun shines in . The tyres should be protected if in the sun for long periods . I put a board in front of my tyres in the summer while the caravan sits in my drive in the sun till school holidays are over.

As said blinds can create window problems with excessive heat build up.

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

If, when you have the blinds down, or as in your case, a light (heat) reflective surface on the inside of the windows, you do not have a means of heat ventilation, then there is a considerable risk of excessive heat build-up within the window envelope. This could cause the windows to de-laminate.

It is advisable to latch the windows in their ventilation position thus allowing the heat to dissipate.

An alternative would be to secure protective covers to the outside of the windows. We did this using water resistant external blind material for a previous caravan which we owned in the 1990's. The top edge was secured into a rigid (wood) batten which was hinged onto suckers above the window and the bottom edge was tucked into the window when closed. I made support struts to hold the blinds up so as to form sunshades when we were using the caravan on site. The struts were also attached to the caravan with suckers.

This "sun shade" system made a remarkable difference to the inside temperature of the caravan keeping it much cooler than when shades were not deployed.

Pete
Range Rover(s) towing Buccaneer Caravel

I can't recall ever closing the curtains on any of our many caravans that had blinds fitted. .. and that's all but the oldest three. The others have always been stored with the blinds closed, and only once did I need to re-tension a front blind (a 10 minute job) and that was incorrect from new. The blinds are always left open while towing.

Our last two motorhomes have been treated the same, and the blinds closed. The exception is the windscreen, the only window with thick curtains (no blinds) so these are closed when it is stored.

We have never suffered from faded upholstery, excessive heat build up, delaminated windows, or (with the one exception noted above) lack of tension on the blinds.

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

Having bought a new caravan and being advised not to leave the blinds down for too long to save the tension . ..

Krrgolf,

I was told that the blinds on all modern caravans could be re-tensioned quite easily - you can on my 4-year-old 'entry level' van.

John

dont use cardboard it will trap the heat and damage the plastic window

There is a warning to this effect on our windows! We pull the blinds down with the flyscreen exposed for a couple of inches at the top to allow circulation.

Edited by DeltaTIowner

Draw the curtains :)

:goodpost: Same here!

2011 Land Rover Freelander 2, Lago grey 2013 Freelander Dynamic Black, followed by a 2013 Elddis 574 Magnum GT white

And me!!!!

Bailey Olympus s11.

Towed by a Man City fanatic and his long suffering wife.

And me ;)

Citroen ds4 2. 0 hdi 163bhp Lunar Venus 500 2012.

Draw the curtains :)

Same here, OK if you happen to have curtains.

Stay safe ~ Griff    :ph34r:

Wheels at the front ~ Green Oval Towing Machine

Wheels at the back ~ 4 of ‘em

Which is cheaper to repair or replace, curtains or blinds? The sun degrades the curtain material after awhile causing to to fade and look tatty.

Curtains easier to replace for me as just some relatively cheap neutral material in ours.

Our windows are also well tinted so fade probably reduced I guess

As someone else said a cheap throw over seats is probably easiest overall

Certainly not something I will be thinking about too much!

Unless you've tried it, you simply won't understand. .....

All seems a lot of hassle . . never have closed curtains/blinds except at night when in the 'van . . never been aware of significant fading.

Roughing it . . but in comfort . .

Which is cheaper to repair or replace, curtains or blinds? The sun degrades the curtain material after awhile causing to to fade and look tatty.

Did wonder that D'TIo', though in our case the curtains are lined so hopefully if any degrading takes place just be the lining that needs replacing then over to my 'in house seemstress' to solve ;)

Stay safe ~ Griff    :ph34r:

Wheels at the front ~ Green Oval Towing Machine

Wheels at the back ~ 4 of ‘em

I use a dust sheet while the caravan sits not being used on the front bunks and drawer unit were I know the sun shines in . The tyres should be protected if in the sun for long periods . I put a board in front of my tyres in the summer while the caravan sits in my drive in the sun till school holidays are over.

As said blinds can create window problems with excessive heat build up.

Dave

The reason I use covers is I want the sun to shine in a create a warm caravan so any moisture that is in the caravan reduces any problems of any damp rather than keeping the heat outside.

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

I went into our van yesterday with all the curtains and vent blinds closed and it was HOT in there.

Dark, but hot.