Testing For Damp In Front Lockers

decho

A lot of people seem to have a problem with damp in the front lockers so I thought I would check myself. I emptied the lockers and was going to remove the tray but it seems to be sealed to the floor.

I was just wondering how other people check for damp in these lockers? There's no obvious signs inside the van.

Hi can I ask which Bailey you have please I have a unicorn 2 and I don't think I have any trays in my front lockers

Ok thanks that could be why I haven't got trays then. Next time I see a U1 on site or in a dealers I will check out the difference between the locker internals

The Unicorn 2 didn't have locker trays, they were carbon like sheets bonded to the floor. If you want to check for damp under your bonded sheets use one of these http://www. tooled-up. com/product/protimeter-aquant-damp-meter-with-lcd-display/201043/?Referrer=googleproductlisting&gclid=COP10tKk_78CFfMZtAodTggABw Or just get your dealer to check for you.

post-28733-0-57951800-1407350751_thumb.jpg

Basically if you haven't got a front gas locker on your caravan its a Unicorn 2

Take a look at Caraman1 own website and the construction of the Unicorn 2 http://www. mycaravan. org. uk/Bailey%20Factory. html(Excellent website for information)

Edited by Gaz40

An easy solution is to drill two tiny holes through the plastic tray a probe distance apart, then screw in two stainless steel screws.

I've done this directly into the floor on mine, but with the trays lifted, I decided to do it after the floor started looking like a pin cushion. I put mine adjacent the front bulkhead floor bolt covers, they can be identified by the plastic oval nut holders.

It's essential that you get the plastic trays up and look underneath. We discovered serious damp issues on the used 2011 S1 Seville we bought, the damp in the floor had come right through from the front lockers and come right inside the living area of the van, you can see from the photos that it was underneath the tray that the internal water tank sits on. We have since looked at 2 others and have insisted to the dealer that they remove all 3 trays and inspect the floor.

We have finally found a dry one at last.

post-53709-0-33381800-1402066055_thumb.jpg
post-53709-0-52288500-1402066069_thumb.jpg
post-53709-0-71188800-1402066085_thumb.jpg
post-53709-0-71188800-1402066085_thumb.jpg
post-53709-0-90570000-1402066211_thumb.jpg

FYI. ..

When my Valencia v1 returned from the factory after having the damp lockers addressed, the plastic trays had been sealed into place - including the screws, making removal difficult.

I would be very reluctant to drill two holes through the tray so that I could test for damp, but wonder how I now tell that the problem is finally resolved.

Bailey Unicorn Valencia v1 with MAX Upgrade + POWR HD mover with roller upgrade + ALDE 3010-246 + Al-Ko ATC Display
Seat Ateca 190PS TDI 4WD

I would drill the holes, my van is going back to Bailey for the 4th time for front locker leak, so they still have not resolved the problem.

I have removed my trays and instructed Bailey that no trays are to be fitted, then I can monitor the situation.

I would drill the holes, my van is going back to Bailey for the 4th time for front locker leak, so they still have not resolved the problem.

I have removed my trays and instructed Bailey that no trays are to be fitted, then I can monitor the situation.

wow. ..

We were lost when it went away just the once - for 3 months!

That is not good. ....

Just rung my dealer, he is goint to talk to Bailey. ...

Edited by wiz2003

Bailey Unicorn Valencia v1 with MAX Upgrade + POWR HD mover with roller upgrade + ALDE 3010-246 + Al-Ko ATC Display
Seat Ateca 190PS TDI 4WD

FYI. ..

When my Valencia v1 returned from the factory after having the damp lockers addressed, the plastic trays had been sealed into place - including the screws, making removal difficult.

I would be very reluctant to drill two holes through the tray so that I could test for damp, but wonder how I now tell that the problem is finally resolved.

Well don't drill holes just drive two screws in, drilling the plastic tray is only to make the job easier, there's no problem with doing this as most trays are drilled anyway, my original trays had 5 for the screw fixings, the replacement ones that bailey laid in loose have none.

That was after the failed factory repair, one locker still leaked, my lockers to date are dry, but only after two dealer and one factory repair, the dealer repair at the same place on the second attempt was successful, but they did take instructions from the factory.

Appalling track record. When will UK manufacturers pull their fingers out and get things sorted BEFORE vans leave the factory. ...I don't see many European vans having as many issues ?.

Well don't drill holes just drive two screws in, drilling the plastic tray is only to make the job easier, there's no problem with doing this as most trays are drilled anyway, my original trays had 5 for the screw fixings, the replacement ones that bailey laid in loose have none.

That was after the failed factory repair, one locker still leaked, my lockers to date are dry, but only after two dealer and one factory repair, the dealer repair at the same place on the second attempt was successful, but they did take instructions from the factory.

All of the manufacturer drill/screw holes have been sealed by Bailey with black sealant. ...

Seat Ateca 190PS TDI 4WD