A T C Problem

Djged

Recently when I picked my van up from the dealer after having it serviced my ATC light came on flashing red, when I pointed this out to the chap at the dealers he said it was because they had adjusted the brakes and it was okay to drive as it would right itself as soon as I set off.

When I got the van home I'd forgot about this and put the van in it's usual storage space.

About a month later when I got the van out to go away the ATC red light came on again ( flashing ) so I phoned the dealer and explained what had happened, initially after agreeing the fault was caused by them adjusting the brakes they then retracted when they realised the fault hadn't righted itself saying adjusting the brakes wouldn't affect the atc , and they couldn't do anything I hadn't already done to fix it. Great so the ATC was working fine before they serviced the van now it's not but it wasn't their fault ? ?

So to sum up when I plug the van in the car the ATC light flashes red and doesn't go through it's self test, therefore the brakes aren't applied so technically I can still tow the van but the ATC won't function.

Anybody got any idea what the problem with the ATC might be ?

My opinion is that the problem lies with the dealer. Maybe a letter recorded asking them what they will do (keep copy and RD slip).

If no answer, then a follow up letter (polite) pointing out that the ATC instructions say:

ATC has detected a fault. Do not continue with ATC connected.

Ask politlely for a reply detailing their proposed action within 7 days or you will seek redress through the Small Clains Procedure. Keep copies of all letters and details of phone conversations.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Below is from the Alko website, might be useful to you.

I have a flashing red light. What should I do?

The flashing red light is because the system has turned itself off due to an internal fault. You will need to take the caravan to your dealer to determine the fault.

Before towing the caravan to your dealer you'll need to check whether the brakes are applied. The simplest way to do this is to see if you can push the caravan. If you can, then the brakes are not applied. If you cannot, you must first disconnect the push rod (see handbook).

Once the push rod has been disconnected the brakes will work exactly as they would if ATC hadn't been fitted and the caravan is safe for towing.

IMO the atc system is a waste of time. ....and money!

Edited by MalH

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

IMO the atc system is a waste of time. ....and money!

There are many who will disagree with you. It's like paying insurance premiums - nobody wants to, but they're glad they did when the unforeseen happens. If you get into snake situation then you'll be glad you have ATC.

2019 Ford Kuga 2. 0 (150 bhp) AWD Manual and 2022 Coachman Acadia GTS 565.