Disinfect Awning - Please Help!

fkj

Hi, I've just got a new caravan (2nd hand!) & found extensive mouse poo & wee on the upholstery & awning. I am going to steam clean all cushions & carpet. I need some advice on cleaning/disinfecting the awning too. I'm not worried about stains I just need it to be hygenic, but maintain the proofing. I have use of a domestic steam cleaner - should I be able to use this? Or would spraying on a disinfectant like dettol or the like be better or would it damage the proofing?

Thanks

Welcome to the forum! Just use soapy warm water on the awning.

2011 Land Rover Freelander 2, Lago grey 2013 Freelander Dynamic Black, followed by a 2013 Elddis 574 Magnum GT white

if the upholstery is acrylic then any hot water will mark the fabric by distorting the pile. so get some foam car upholstery cleaner and spray it on, leave or work in with a soft brush.

And then spray Fabsil on it to reseal it and make it waterproof.

http://grangers. co. uk/product/fabsil-universal-cleaner

http://www. waudbys. co. uk/products/details/16119. html

Edited by doosan

Bailey Pageant Series 6 Champagne 2007    Tow Car Toyota Rav4

To add to gravon42 post, they used to recommend gentle soap something like Lux

Ps

What about hosing it down with plain water, then perhaps using one of those disinfectant foggers while the awnings up, air con cleaners etc might remove whats left of the smell

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

:welcome:

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Thanks everyone.

I will get some soap flakes as they are as gentle as you get, and then re-proof if necessary. I suppose I'll find out if it needs it if it leaks next week!! Now it's just a case of finding somewhere I can clean the thing! Can't do it whilst it's up onsite cos then all the mouse poo will be washed into/around the awning.

What a polaver!

I would try hanging it over the washing line and spraying it with the hose pipe first :)

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

Did you say there was droppings in the van? Very important to find entry places and seal them. Insurance will not cover you for rodent damage.

John

Volvo V70 D3 SE (was Peugeot 4007, SsangYong Korando), Pulling a Lunar Clubman SI 2015. If you are depressed, you are living in the past. If you are anxious, you are living in the future. If you are at peace, you are living in the present.

Did you say there was droppings in the van? Very important to find entry places and seal them. Insurance will not cover you for rodent damage.

John

Yes, lots! Bit depressing really, got a whole load of bleaching and steaming to do, plus wash all curtains. ...cleaning never been my strong point, you should see my house ;-)! Going to sterilise the water system today.

I'm on the look out for some kind of mesh to cover all the inlets/outlets - any recommendation? And of how to fix it on?

I thought I could drape the awning over the car and hose it down, save me dragging a pooey thing through the house to get on washing line. That will prob involve me washing the car with just water 1st otherwise I'll make the awning even dirtier! Oh deep joy. I'll be too exhausted to go on holiday after this!

It'll all be worth it when it's done I keep telling myself!

if the upholstery is acrylic then any hot water will mark the fabric by distorting the pile. so get some foam car upholstery cleaner and spray it on, leave or work in with a soft brush.

But then I'm not sure I want to breathe those upholstery cleaners in when using the cushions to make the beds? Pretty sure there'll be some residue left in the cushions. I'm toying with the idea of replacing it all, but its so comfy, and I'm sure that would cost a small fortune. Some bits are worse than others though, sobcould just replace the ones that are really bad, but it safe to assume the mice have been all over evrything even if theres no evidence of mouse damage.

For some holes where they might get in I have used stainless steel pan scrubs (non soapy). They can fill odd shaped holes easily. To make sure I have then stapled thin plastic sheet over to stop the scrub dropping out. The mice might chew through the plastic but I think the scrub will halt them.

John

Volvo V70 D3 SE (was Peugeot 4007, SsangYong Korando), Pulling a Lunar Clubman SI 2015. If you are depressed, you are living in the past. If you are anxious, you are living in the future. If you are at peace, you are living in the present.