We would like to tour around the highlands next year, would just like to fine out if members who have been touring around this area found the roads ok? Also any tips would be most welcome.

The roads are generally fine, if a little narrow in places. Traffic is often light, and so passing on single track roads is not a problem. Enjoy your trip.

Gordon.

If you've ever been to the Lake District (as I am right now) and survived - you'll be fine. Scottish roads are much easier

• Like 1

What about the big twin engined mozzies?

What about the big twin engined mozzies?

Top em up with smidge ;)

I've just looked at the picture on their website :blink:http://midgeforecast. co. uk/smidge/about-smidge/

arms.jpg

Have to agree with Rael here, the roads in Scotland are a piece of cake compared to some of the narrow lanes and steep inclines in bits of Cumbria. Come up and enjoy yourself next year, you won't regret it.

Shug

Go for it Scotland is great, go for it. The only road we were not keen on is the west side of Loch Lomond.

Just back from 3 weeks up in the North West and as newbies to towing got around with no problems.

The only thing I will say is be aware of the numerous bridges which tend to be narrower than the road, often with yellow and black striped warnings on the side. Oncoming vehicles tend to have an unnerving tendency to try and beat you over even if you are first to the bridge.

Had glorious weather with just a few days rain and even the dreaded midge was absent most days.

Go for it you won't regret it.

Normally the roads are excellent and have much less traffic on them than in England. However, there is no correlation between road numbering and road width and condition. 'A' roads with three numbers can be superb twin track wide roads with excellent surfaces and then suddenly become single track with passing places - the A832 is a good example which becomes single track for a short section near Gairloch. Do not worry too much about single track with passing places as the roads are normally wide open with no hedges and you can see miles ahead and the vehicles coming the other way will see your large white caravan and pull in to let you pass. A raised hand as you pass is the normal salute.

Fuel is very expensive away from the major towns and filling stations are becoming fewer so fill up in places like Fort William, Wick and Inverness where there are Tescos and other supermarkets.

If you have a choice of when you plan to tour, it is better to miss the Scottish school holidays which are earlier than the English. They start at the end of June but finish in mid-August. Remember that you are a long way North which means that the nights are very short. In May - Jul it will be light until well after 10 and the sun is back up again by 3am so make sure you have good blinds.

Another tip, if you are willing to stay flexible, is to watch the weather forecast. The distances from the West coast to the East coast are not significant and if the weather is bad on one coast, it will often be much better on the other due to the shelter provided by the mountains - wind from the East then go to the West coast and vice versa.

If you enjoy walking, take a look at the Walkhighlands website which has masses of walks all over the Highlands and they are of varied distances and show whether they fit with your ability. It is free to register and the walk directions and maps cost nothing. This is a great way to see places that you might not normally go to.

Bring binoculars and a camera. There is lots of wildlife to see from Red Squirrels, Deer (a road hazard), Otters, Seals, Sea Eagles, Golden Eagles, Salmon leaping and, in the Moray Firth, Dolphins and much more.

Some time ago, I did a review of the small sites that we have used in the northern part of Scotland which may be of use.

http://www. caravantalk. co. uk/community/topic/36601-northern-scotland/

Enjoy your tour - you are a vital part of the local economy!

If you're up near Aberdeen - Banchory CC site and if Near Fort William Bunree is a must.

Remember you don't have to go away up to the Highland to get lovely scenery.

Here in Ayrshire we have lots of lovely scenery and places to visit.

Having said that the west coast is a favourite of mine which also has spectacular views.

Whatever you decide come on up and enjoy !

If you're up near Aberdeen - Banchory CC site and if Near Fort William Bunree is a must.

Agree with Bunree. Had the best time of my life there.

Sadly I wont get to go again.

A good tip I was given for mossies was Avon Skin So Soft, apparently the Australian Army uses it all the time. . .........Peter.

A good tip I was given for mossies was Avon Skin So Soft, apparently the Australian Army uses it all the time. ..........Peter.

I agree. Used it when I went to Bunree. .. worked a treat.