Abbey Freestyle

Wildkat

I do not know about the Abbey but we have got a utopia wich is a chalenger built for Broad lane leisure you get loads of extras but pay very little more than you do for a standard chalenger

We have just purchased BUT yet to be delivered an Abbey Freestyle 470 :rolleyes:

As we ar brand spanking new to caravanning we hope we have done the right thing.

BTW the Freesttyle is from Colin's near Reading.

Hi dave what's the difference between a utopia and a challenger extras etc, as we will soon pick - up are new challenger 550L . rgs egcc.

6086[/snapback]

With the Utopia you get extra wide corner steadies, extra 12Volt conection point +TV+240 volt CD player dimmers for the spot lights remote control alarm chrome grab handles and there is probably more but I have not got the paperwork here it is at my mom and dads where we keep it when I go over next I will get it and let you know exactly As I can not remember if the large Hikki roof light over the fixed bed is standard or not we got it in September last year at a cost of £13550 as it was the end of the season it had not been used as demo and that included a 110 amp battery and few other nick nacks

Whith the utopia you get extra wide corner steadies,extra 12Volt conection point +TV+240 volt CD player dimmers for the spot lights remote control alarm chrome grab handles and there is probably more but I have not got the paperwork here it is at  my mom and dads where we keep it when I go over next I will get it and let you know exactly As I can not remember if the large Hikki roof light over the fixed bed is standard or not  we got it in September last year at a cost of £13550 as it was the end of the season it had not been used as demo and that included a 110 amp battery and few other nick nacks

6314[/snapback]

There are a few differences, we don't get the dimmers or the cd player(but it is wired ready) unless we pay extra, the corner steadies are the same but again our handles are plastic, we do have two tv points fixed and we have a small skylight above the fixed bed with the large at the front. to be honest i'd never heard of the utopia until i saw one advertised in the auto trader. sounds a good buy. does your drinks cabinet scrape along the sky light fittings when open fully?

There are a few differences, we don't get the dimmers or the cd player(but it is wired ready) unless we pay extra, the corner steadies are the same but again our handles are plastic, we do have two tv points fixed and we have a small skylight above the fixed bed with the large at the front. to be honest i'd never heard of the utopia until i saw one advertised in the auto trader. sounds a good buy. does your drinks cabinet scrape along the sky light fittings when open fully?

6316[/snapback]

To be Honest I have not opened the drinks cabinet yet we have only used for 2 nights and that was over christmas to save on driving, the extra tv point etc. is located by chest of drawers at the front to enable puting the tv on the chest or a least I think that is the extra one we are very pleased with it so far the proof will be when we have had a few weeks away properly in it but unfortunatley I will not be able to get away in it until end of april due to being on stand by for work although MrDecember is stopping at a site only a mile from where i live so I may go to that site I will still be ok for work and be away in the van You always miss places to stop when they are under your nose and it looks a good site

We have just purchased BUT yet to be delivered an Abbey Freestyle 470 :rolleyes:

As we ar brand spanking new to caravanning we hope we have done the right thing.

BTW the Freesttyle is from Colin's near Reading.

6311[/snapback]

My reason for asking is I have bought one too, due to pick up beginning of March, We have choose the 500. Fingers crossed we have done the right thing too, also our first van. We spent a lot of time at different dealers looking at layouts build quality, budgets etc. and the freestyle ticked the most boxes. Roll on Easter our first trip away and no falling out putting up the trailer tent (not bought an awning yet)

We have also bought a Freestyle from Lowdhams which we pick up in March.

It is an Aventura with upgraded upholstery, dimmer switch to lights, omni vent, bbq point, wet locker with socket, alarm, extra 240 socket, speakers and wiring for cd all for just £700 pounds extra.

Not quite up to Challenger spec but right up there.

We already have a 2002 Meridian which is a challenger special edition with extra things but there isnt really anything in it to warrent paying out for the Challenger.

Looking forward to our new design with the fix bed. Got sick out puting out the beds in the other even though the washroom is probably the best in the market.(exactly the same as in the Bessacar.)

Well we picked up our Abbey Freestyle 470SE today and it was looking as good as we remembered from Earls Court.

The only downside was that Colins Caravans has been taken over by Lowdheim Leisure and the staff all seemed thouroughly demoralised and did not seem to care one way or the other about us.

In many ways this attitude was their misfortune because they could have sold us a lot of 'extras' - as we are first timers and needed everything the list (as I am sure you all know) is endless but we bought just the essentials from them and we now need to find a 'friendly' dealer.

• 3 months later...
:) 3 months since we took delivery and we are well chuffed with it. I just wish we could get out in it more often, even though we have been away 6 weekends so far, can't wait to try it over a longer time. WE have been on EHU sites and acouple of rallies with out, the freestyle proformed exellent even in some really bad and very cold weather. Would recommend the Freestyle. :D

hi all

we have been looking at these vans to upgrade to at lowdham . we seem to like the 2004 model better than the 2005.

we will get one oneday i hope.

:P cheers dazkim

hi all

we have been looking at these vans to upgrade to at lowdham . we seem to like the 2004 model better than the 2005.

27450[/snapback]

The 2005 is wider than the 2004 if that makes a difference.

I'm amazed that our dealer special is cheaper than the regular brand, about 2k cheaper, with all the extras, bbq point, alarm, electric flush, extra cushions.

I did read a thread that said dealer specials are harder to sell? Anyone agree with that comment?

Michael Jordan in Guildford do an Abbey dealer special too, Expression/Impression, might be worth checking out their website.

I'm amazed that our dealer special is cheaper than the regular brand, about 2k cheaper, with all the extras, bbq point, alarm, electric flush, extra cushions.

I did read a thread that said dealer specials are harder to sell?  Anyone agree with that comment?

Michael Jordan in  Guildford do an Abbey dealer special too, Expression/Impression, might be worth checking out their website.

27673[/snapback]

We are very pleased with our Freestyle and can not see why it should be more difficult to sell a 'fully loaded' van as long as you accept that most extras will not actually add a lot to its resale value - just like most 'loaded' cars. :rolleyes:

I would have thought the alarm would help it sell, it saved us a few quid on the insurance, not that I have any intention in selling in the near future.

I would have thought the alarm would help it sell, it saved us a few quid on the insurance, not that I have any intention in selling in the near future.

27735[/snapback]

You are probably right - we have also added the Pro-Active Phantom tracking device to ours as it is in store and we wouldn't know that it was gone until we went to the site!

And we have no intentions of getting rid of it just yet, we find that it (the Freestyle 470SE) is just about the right compromise for touring and living in when on site. Plenty of storage, full size shower in end bathroom and a full size oven, grill and hob with dual fuel - the wife likes to cook AND I like to eat what she cooks :P

The van is plenty big enough for the two of us and not too heavy for our 406 2. 2 HDI. :rolleyes:

Hi

I think the dealer specials are a great buy.

We got our Abbey Cardinal 330 6 berth from Davan caravans of Weston Super Mare. It is based on the Aventura 330.

Its got better fabric,cd player,omnivent roof light,gas bbq point,stainless steel oven/hob, Alloy wheels and a few other things i cant remember. It was less than the Aventura yet better equipped. (£11500)

I cannot see why they should have any trouble selling them. :)

• 1 year later...

Hi all

We have been looking at these vans to upgrade to at lowdham . we seem to like the 2004 model better than the 2005.

we will get one oneday i hope.

Cheers dazkim

Well we did it today will be picking up our new to us 2005 model freestyle 540.

WELL CHUFFED

CHEERS DAZKIM

• 2 weeks later...

We are trading in our 2005 Freestyle 540 in a month for a 2007 Avondale Argent 650.

We got a great trade in price for it. Only lost £500 on it which is a lot better than Lowdhams offered us. We would have lost £3000 last year when it was only 6 months old which I found insulting and just laughed at them.

Its a great caravan but we just wanted a bit more space and got sick of mopping out the shower tray.