Led Light Advice

Chrissyp83

Quite a simple one but looking for some advice from others who have done something similar. Looking to upgrade the exterior lights to LED, already started on the inside. Anyone who has done the same can you add suggestions to LEDs that are good/ reliable/ bright etc . ..

Also on the exterior I have the rear marker lights on each side which are both forward (clear) and rear (red) facing. Again anyone recommend me one that they have used for this application as I am concerned that a bluey tinge of a nasty/ cheap LED will look awful behind red.

Thanks

Chris

Saab 9-3 2. 2 tid. Abbey Aventura 2001 312

We've replaced all the halogens inside with cheap ones from Ebay as we go off EHU and use our solar panels alot. I can't see the point of replacing the exterior ones though - in our case anyway ;)

There a lots of threads on here recommending which ones to buy. ...............

Edited by Shirl250

2007 Bailey Series 5 Senator Arizona (4 berth, rear bathroom, side dinette) towed by a 57 Kia Sorento XS Auto with Kumho KL17 tyres, Reich Mover, Kampa Rally 390, Caravan Tyres : GT Radial Maxmiler CX 185/80 R14 102R.

You might find you need CANBUS led bulbs for position lights and flasher bulbs or you can have problems . You could try red led in the rear but I have found in the past they are not very bright against the originals.

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

I have never had a car without an adequate enough alternator to cope very adequately with conventional bulbs. Nore in long over thirty years, I can't recall a caravan bulb failure, so for me I can't see a sound argument to change the van to LED road lighting.

Am I missing some big positive here?

Edit: just realised the first towcar was fitted with a dynamo, and that coped as well!

Edited by JTQ

You must replace bulbs behind a red lens with a red leds and the indicator bulb with yellow leds, don't use white leds behind a coloured lens.

The blue tinge on white leds is expected, to avoid you need to get warm white.

Its worth noting that in some people with Meares-Irlen Syndrome can experience problems when reading if using Led lights, much the same as with notebooks etc.

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

i have replaced the front marker lights with leds. They are much brighter. Was contemplating

the rest but too much bother. :unsure:

2011 Land Rover Freelander 2, Lago grey 2013 Freelander Dynamic Black, followed by a 2013 Elddis 574 Magnum GT white

I am concerned that a bluey tinge of a nasty/ cheap LED will look awful behind red.

Don't buy cheap LED's then!

;)

Trevor.

Don't buy cheap LED's then!

;)

What a wonderful response!!!!!

You must replace bulbs behind a red lens with a red leds and the indicator bulb with yellow leds, don't use white leds behind a coloured lens.

The blue tinge on white leds is expected, to avoid you need to get warm white.

Its worth noting that in some people with Meares-Irlen Syndrome can experience problems when reading if using Led lights, much the same as with notebooks etc.

Thanks though I am aware that behind coloured lenses you need to use the relevant coloured LED. The question really relates to my rear side marker which is red to the rear and clear to the front and wondered if anyone had found an LED that can do this job, I dont really want to put LED's on the front driving lights and leave the lights on the side as the poor relations as it will look plain odd.

I have never had a car without an adequate enough alternator to cope very adequately with conventional bulbs. Nore in long over thirty years, I can't recall a caravan bulb failure, so for me I can't see a sound argument to change the van to LED road lighting.

Am I missing some big positive here?

Edit: just realised the first towcar was fitted with a dynamo, and that coped as well!

I guess it is personal preference, I quite like the look of LED's in the right application so if I like them and I can upgrade for a small(ish) cost, why would I not?

Also on the exterior I have the rear marker lights on each side which are both forward (clear) and rear (red) facing. Again anyone recommend me one that they have used for this application. ..

No recommendation, but you will require two LEDs for this application, a red one racing rearwards and a warm white facing forwards (unless you want a cheap and nasty blue/white one facing forwards). I've never seen such a beast, so you will probably have to create one. You may have to (but probably won't) also have to fashion a divider between them to prevent any bleed.

The whole project sounds like an exercise in futility and wasted money to me, but each to their own.

No recommendation, but you will require two LEDs for this application, a red one racing rearwards and a warm white facing forwards (unless you want a cheap and nasty blue/white one facing forwards). I've never seen such a beast, so you will probably have to create one. You may have to (but probably won't) also have to fashion a divider between them to prevent any bleed.

The whole project sounds like an exercise in futility and wasted money to me, but each to their own.

Thanks for that, to be honest I thought that was probably the case I have never seen one however you don't know unless you ask and ultimately that's what I thought a forum was for, to share knowledge and experiences with others! I certainly don't go out to buy cheap LED's as I have seen to many go pop. I think I will concentrate my efforts on the interior bulbs which I have already started.