Toilet Not Flushing

ABI Days

Hi all need a bit of help.

We are away in caravan next week so just checking everything and the flush isn't working on the thetford c2 toilet.

Only used the van once before and all was fine but there was blue liquid in the flush water and it was vey bitty. Just wondering if this could have blocked the pump ? I've checked all the fuses and they are fine.

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks

There should NOT be any Blue liquid in the flush tank, that is for the cassette only!

As you say it is "bitty" then you have a lot of algae in the tank, pipe and pump which has either blocked the pump or ruined it.

The whole system needs cleaning out and the pump, hopefully cleaned and running again, or more likely a new pump.

I appreciate that you said that you had checked all the fuses but did that include the one behind the actual cassette right at the back?

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

There should NOT be any Blue liquid in the flush tank, that is for the cassette only!.

Elsan Organic is blue and can be used in both flush and waste

Stuck pump impellor is the usual culprit, when it goes dark turn on the lights in the loo and try a flush, if the lights dim but nothing happens its the pump, take it out give it a spin with a small bladed screwdriver and try it again, it usually kicks back into life.

And when you have got it working, forget the top tank additive, just a complete waste of money. ....Peter

Peter and Sandy pulling a 2016 Coachman VIP 565 with

2016 Ford Kuga 2. 0. 180 ps. Titanium Nav.

Retired and loving it.

Yes checked the one where the casette goes.

Ordered a new pump so hopefully that will sort it and no more blue liquid in the flushing water in future.

Thanks fir the help

We use Elsan products. We use Pink in the flush tank . It smells nice and everything slips in nicely. We use the Blue in the cassette. If we are somewhere that doesn't have main drainage ie has a cesspit then we use Elsan Organic which is Blue and goes in both the flush tank and in the cassette.

We also use these. Happy Bowl Liners. They are brilliant if you use the toilet for 'everything'.

2007 Bailey Series 5 Senator Arizona (4 berth, rear bathroom, side dinette) towed by a 57 Kia Sorento XS Auto with Kumho KL17 tyres, Reich Mover, Kampa Rally 390, Caravan Tyres : GT Radial Maxmiler CX 185/80 R14 102R.

We also use these. Happy Bowl Liners. They are brilliant if you use the toilet for 'everything'.

Very delicately put. I will have to remember that terminology.

And when you have got it working, forget the top tank additive, just a complete waste of money. ....Peter

Correct, use a few squirts of washing up liquid in the header tank, it leaves a very smooth surface for the waste to flow away, also good for the seals.

Correct, use a few squirts of washing up liquid in the header tank, it leaves a very smooth surface for the waste to flow away, also good for the seals.

Washing up liquid is NOT good for the seals as it contains too much salt and is a detergent, which leaches away the plasticisers in the seal and makes them hard and brittle.

Washing up liquid is NOT good for the seals as it contains too much salt and is a detergent, which leaches away the plasticisers in the seal and makes them hard and brittle.

I too was thinking that surely it's better to use the stuff that was made to do the job !

2007 Bailey Series 5 Senator Arizona (4 berth, rear bathroom, side dinette) towed by a 57 Kia Sorento XS Auto with Kumho KL17 tyres, Reich Mover, Kampa Rally 390, Caravan Tyres : GT Radial Maxmiler CX 185/80 R14 102R.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, unless you are a "qualified technical expert", in this case from fairy liquid.

All I can say is, my last three caravans have been owned on an average of four years, in each one I have used washing up liquid with no problems. In fact the last caravan, the owner is a member of our club and I have just called him to find if he's had any issues with seals etc and reported "NO".

I sold it him the caravan two years ago, so with my ownership, that makes six years of trouble free service of toilet use.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, unless you are a "qualified technical expert", in this case from fairy liquid.

All I can say is, my last three caravans have been owned on an average of four years, in each one I have used washing up liquid with no problems. In fact the last caravan, the owner is a member of our club and I have just called him to find if he's had any issues with seals etc and reported "NO".

I sold it him the caravan two years ago, so with my ownership, that makes six years of trouble free service of toilet use.

However you don't state if the new owner is using washing up liquid or proper products?

You mention qualified technical experts, I would put theftford and Elysian in that category and as such, pink fluid in the top and blue down below for me.

Edited by nme2no1

With our toilet the water is drawn straight from the aqua roll anyway, there is no top tank and we have never had any problems. Our other 2 caravans had top tanks and we used the pink fluid which caused little black thingies to be ejected every now and then. This was traced to the "correct' pink Thetford fluid which we discontinued using, no problems since. I therefore speak from personal experience not advertising speak. ...Peter

Peter and Sandy pulling a 2016 Coachman VIP 565 with

2016 Ford Kuga 2. 0. 180 ps. Titanium Nav.

Retired and loving it.