Poland Don't Bother!

A word of warning for Poland, most countries in Europe ignore a caravan when calculating what type of vignette or toll rate you need, NOT POLAND!

I was pulled over on the Polish motorway system, and because the combined weight of car/caravan was over 3500kg they fined us the equivalent of £700 yes £700.

Pucka traffic vehicle all kitted out with computer, printer customer seats etc they asked us to follow them of the motorway, and conveniently stopped by the cash point!

We needed an electronic device that fits on windscreen!

Auschwitz is the only place worth going to in Poland nice site adjacent, the rest of what we saw left me with the impression that's it's dirty place, houses not cared for and very poor roads.

We left ASAP, Czech Republic, Hungary, Croatia, Slovenia, could all teach Poland a lot!

Take Heed!

Hi,

No wonder the place is in a state -- they are all living over here ( it seems ! )

TOLLS- Mersey tunnel consider a caravan to be a separate vehicle and charge for car & caravan as two vehicles ( £2 80 i think -- each way ! )

david

Skoda Scout 4x4 pulling a coachman Amara 520/4 at 93%---- when full!

Sorry you had such a rough deal in Poland Thosmas. I am sure that hefty fine clouded your vision.

We went there in 2012 and had read previously about the toll box for over 3,500kg. We crossed the border between Dresden and Gorlitz and hired a toll box, paid some toll in advance and a deposit on the box using my UK debit card. When we crossed the border at Chyzne, south of Krakow, a week or so later we gave the box back and unused toll and deposit were refunded to my card. When we got back to the UK I checked my statement and because the pound had hit a bad spot and the zloty was strong I actually made a couple of pounds profit!

We had a couple of nights at Jelenia Gora, nearly a week in Krakow and a couple of nights in Zakopane and came away very happy. Yes, some of the smaller roads were rough, but we found it clean, friendly and very cheap. I would have no hesitation in going again.

Strange though. By the tone of your post you liked Hungary. We thought it a terrible place and it fitted the description you give of Poland!

Goes to show we are all different and like different things!

Hyundai Santa Fe CRD auto + Burstner Belcanto 525 TL

http://www. oldagetraveller. net/

Hi Thosmas

Sorry to hear about your experience. You are not the first to have been caught out by this policy. I live here for part of the time and the only way that I knew about the need for a Viabox when towing was when I was fortunately warned by a Swedish caravanner who had just been fined 800 Euros.

It can only be that it suits the authorities very well not to publicise this as the income that they get from this action is considerable.

Information at the borders is almost non existent and even if you know about the need for a box actually trying to find one to rent is a challenge.

A case recently occurred where a French coach load of children on an educational tour was held for 48 hours until the coach company stumped up the 3000 Euro fine to release them.

How this action is acceptable to Europe goodness only knows.

David

David and Barbara

Landrover Discovery with Hobby 495

This is important information for those visiting Poland, and I would suggest that those people who are members of other forums, circulate it as widely as possible. This will hopefully lead to more people becoming aware of what is required, and less people being fined.

I've posted it already on those forums where I'm a member - CT, T&T, PC, UK CS and ST - not sure if I can list them with their full titles!

Perhaps as more and more people are becoming more adventurous perhaps it's worth having a separate section for tolls and other special needs in the different countries,

David

David and Barbara

Landrover Discovery with Hobby 495

Interestingly, on another forum, there is a query about the truth of the French coach story, so I googled it (in French) and there is a report about it from the Midi Libre, so it's a true story. If it had been a British coach I'm sure we would all have heard about it on the news.

Here's a (rough!) translation:

A coach returning from a school trip to Poland, with 52 high school students of La Trinité in Beziers was stopped by Polish police on the highway between Krakow and the border.

"A new tax"

The coach was stopped, by police citing a new tax in force since 1 July 2011 (the viaTOLL tax for the use of Polish roads all vehicles over 3. 5 tonnes, Ed), and they claimed € 4,000 in cash to allow the vehicle to proceed.

Unable to pay the amount, the bus was seized and blocked for several hours, leaving everyone without news.

Finally, the Beziers school the children attended challenged the consulate of France in Krakow. The Embassy of France in Poland and the transport company were then mobilized to repatriate everyone.

Housed in emergency

The students, who were to return Wednesday night in Beziers, were housed in emergency boarding. After tough negotiations with the police, it was agreed that a banking transaction between States would allow the vehicle to leave.

"I was really shocked by this method of piracy where the police do not hesitate to kidnap young French tourists on the pretext of recovering a cash fine toll which was increased to € 4,000! It's a real racket . When a country confuses freight transport and transport of human beings, that country betrays the freedom of human rights and does not deserve to call itself a European countries," Fabienne Cottin, mother of one of pupils concerned.

"Taxes blooming everywhere in Europe"

Poland has not communicated a lot, it is true, this new law. However, this does not surprise a representative of the National Federation of carriers (FNTR). "Taxes are popping up all over Europe. This is hard to follow and carriers must register on a tax file in each country. Poland practices, as Spain, the payment of fines in cash, which is disquieting."

One can only imagine the money that will be collected and during the European Football Cup if no communication is made around this new tax provision.

Hi,

No wonder the place is in a state -- they are all living over here ( it seems ! )

TOLLS- Mersey tunnel consider a caravan to be a separate vehicle and charge for car & caravan as two vehicles ( £2 80 i think -- each way ! )

david

£3. 40 with caravan or trailer each way.

Well worth a posting - sorry you got caught out - certainly naughty if not easily available info

Unless you've tried it, you simply won't understand. .....

£3. 40 with caravan or trailer each way.

Thanks -- shows how long ago i last used the "hole-in-the-ground" ! Looks cheaper to go via M6 these days.

david

We are currently in Slovenia. We entered via the A 3 through Germany, then Austria. All motorway, with very good signs telling you about the vignettes for both Austria and Slovenia and both easily bought along the route. There is also mention of toll boxes for bigger vehicles.

Obviously Poland don't make it so obvious?

Just two clicks found . ....

Friday, 16 September 2011 Poland's heavy vehicle national toll system

From 3 July 2011, Poland became the sixth country in Europe to implement a national heavy vehicle tolling system based on distance travelled. The system, branded as viaToll, applies to all vehicles over 3. 5 tonnes (not just trucks).

my highlighting

Just two clicks found . ....

Friday, 16 September 2011

Poland's heavy vehicle national toll system

From 3 July 2011, Poland became the sixth country in Europe to implement a national heavy vehicle tolling system based on distance travelled. The system, branded as viaToll, applies to all vehicles over 3. 5 tonnes (not just trucks).

my highlighting

Looking at the via toll website, it specifically includes vehicles with trailers with a combined weight over 3500kg

Brian

Thanks -- shows how long ago i last used the "hole-in-the-ground" ! Looks cheaper to go via M6 these days.

david

By my reckoning Birkenhead (i. e. North Wirral) to Liverpool is about three miles via the tunnel. Birkenhead to Liverpool via the M6 is about 58 miles.

If your vehicle can travel for 55 miles for less than £3. 80 in fuel costs you would break even. :rolleyes:

It's the same for Austria - you hire the "GO" box at the border. Without being unkind I don"t think the proper research was done prior to travelling, but you did pay heavily for the oversight.

2019 Ford Kuga 2. 0 (150 bhp) AWD Manual and 2022 Coachman Acadia GTS 565.

I think a quick google of towing in Poland doesn't show anything hugely obvious is more the issue and seems quite likely it isn't being well publicised for obvious reasons when fines like this are involved

I think its a useful post and should due to size of fines be a sticky headed "towing in Poland"

Unless you've tried it, you simply won't understand. .....

I think a quick google of towing in Poland doesn't show anything hugely obvious is more the issue and seems quite likely it isn't being well publicised for obvious reasons when fines like this are involved

I think its a useful post and should due to size of fines be a sticky headed "towing in Poland"

I see what you mean - there isn't anything that's obvious on the TollTickets website either, so I apologise for my previous flippant remark about lack of research.

2019 Ford Kuga 2. 0 (150 bhp) AWD Manual and 2022 Coachman Acadia GTS 565.

When we went to Poland we really enjoyed it and had no problems. We stopped at the Polish Border paid for our Vignette and changed our money before entering the country. We do this in every new country we visit.

Elddis Crusader Storm with Kia Sorento XS

Joys of European Caravanning

By my reckoning Birkenhead (i. e. North Wirral) to Liverpool is about three miles via the tunnel. Birkenhead to Liverpool via the M6 is about 58 miles.

If your vehicle can travel for 55 miles for less than £3. 80 in fuel costs you would break even. :rolleyes:

Hi,

Its not that simple! We go through the hole in the ground in order to pass through Liverpool ( you dont drive a rig through Liverpool if you can help it ! ) to get on the M58 then the M6( north ) The roads being what they are & traffic lights every 200 ft ( it seems ) all push up fuel consumption . Going "the long way round " ( its about 20 miles more than going through town ) to get on the M6 is less damaging on the car ---- and driver ! In the past it has taken up to an hour from our storage to getting on the M6-- via Liverpool. So its not only the cost of the tunnel but also the cost of the stop start driving that is needed to be taken into account

Edited by david 1220

We we. went to Poland and other Easter European Countries some years back. We always stopped at the Border to buy the Vignette and change money you then get all the info and what you need. It appears the Viabox only came into force in 2013 it is certainly covered by the AA on their website.

Elddis Crusader Storm with Kia Sorento XS

Joys of European Caravanning

http://www. viatoll. pl/en makes it very clear, but of course you would not necessarily go to this site. However it is the first site on a google search "Polish Road Tolls" that has a Polish (.pl) domain name.

http://www. gddkia. gov. pl/en/1126/motorway-tolls is the second on the search and this mentions vehicles or combinations of vehicle with a maximum. permissable weights of over 3. 5tonnes.

http://www. autostrada-a4. pl/tolls/tolls-and-methods-of-payment the next one with a . pl domain relates to a stretch of the A4 which is outside the viatoll system, but provides a link to the viatoll website for the rest of the A4

So of the first seven entries on google all the Polish sites would lead you to the need for a Viatoll box.

It is indeed sad that you have been caught, it has cost you so much and has spoilt not just your opinion of Poland but probably your whole holiday. The lesson for us all though is to do our homework before we travel.

Hyundai Santa Fe CRD auto + Burstner Belcanto 525 TL

http://www. oldagetraveller. net/

If you google 'towing in Poland' though, you don't get the same websites and if you didn't know there were tolls perhaps this is more likely to be what you'd type in. Perhaps someone should instruct the Viatoll tecchies in the art of 'Search Engine Optimisation' so that 'towing in Poland' also brings it up! ;)