Spare Tyre Size

bob1982

Hi all. I have tyres on my van which are 165/80 R13. It came with no spare so went back to get one and noticed it was not a match. Went back today and again seem to have been given another which does not match.

Logically surely the spare should be an exact match?

I now have a spare which is 175/80 r13. I am tempted to just take the spare to kwickfit and get the exact same tyre put on the wheel. ... is this nessiary or do I trust my dealer that its ok for a spare?

Not a great solution although the spare wouldn't be on for long. Are you sure the tyres on the caravan are the right spec ?

Check difference in diameter here http://www. etyres. co. uk/tyre-size-calculator

Land Rover is now back towing.

I would have thought so as they are the same type and size and age. The spare is the odd one out as it didnt come with a spare and I went back to het one. ... this is the wheel that differs.

why do you ask if the ones on the van are correct? Did something jump out at you?

It just seemed strange that the dealer provided the wrong tyre twice.

Land Rover is now back towing.

Its not a main dealer and its an old van. The first time he could not remember the size and I didnt go with the info so to be fair I didnt help. The second time I did go with the info and ended up with this one. Just dont know whether to go to kwickfit and change it or whether it would be ok as its a spare.

If it's the spare and you have to change it, then you will be running your van on two different size tyres, I say this because once you've changed it you're not likely to change it back. I would check for correct size tyres and make all comply. But that's me.

You don't say the caravan manufacturer, age and model, perhaps if you do someone can give you manufacturers recommended tyre size.

The other thing is how old is the tyre and how old are the tyres on the caravan, is it getting to the time when they should be replaced?

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

The tyres on the van are only two years old so ok there. I got the spare changed over to match this morning to be safe.

interesting though that the tyre fitter commented on thr 83t bit of the tyres already on the van saying these may be car not caravan tyres.

He said not to worry and it will be ok. But to change themto ones with a higher load rating next time. He has given me a higher load rated spare.

It looks like the ones on the van have a max load of 487kg. My vans miro is 850kg. My maw is 1060kg. Is this a worry? My thoughts are I may need to change the othertwo as well. Am I ok as long as I dont load the van too much?

It looks like the ones on the van have a max load of 487kg. My vans miro is 850kg. My maw is 1060kg. Is this a worry? My thoughts are I may need to change the othertwo as well. Am I ok as long as I dont load the van too much?

From those figures your caravan tyres are not suitable, they compromise the plated maximum figure.

The legal position I am not able to state, but I would not like explaining it to VOSA if stopped or my insurers if in an accident.

Edited by JTQ

Drat. Why o why do people do this. Looks like I will have to change the ones on the van as well. Down to cornwall on monday so will hope I can change over before then. If not may have to tow a near to empty van to make sure I dont go over the limit. Wot a pain :-(

Assume its ok as long as I keep the load in the van to a minimum obviously watching noseweight etc.

Edited by bob1982

Just a thought. .... the load rating seems to be the maximum load for the speed rating which in this case is T which translates to 118mph. Clearly i will be lucky to be travelling at half that speed so on this basis would it be reasonable to assume they are ok until I get round to changing them as a precaution? Which I will do.

Edited by bob1982

Why not get the dealer who sold you the 'van to sort it out. He is responsible. The tyres should each have a load rating of at least half of the 'vans maximum permissible weight. Nothing less is acceptable, and you may have problems if you are spot checked by vosa.

Edited by Ern

Ern