Mover Speed

dtg

Hi all, still not purchased the mover I have been promising myself for ages now, such a wide choice, one thing I have noticed is the speed or distance travelled per second, Purple line Enduro series 2 states a speed of 12cms/sec this to me seems very slow if you have to travel some distance, some of the Powertouch models are 28cms/sec, I realise that you don't want to be racing around like a radio controlled car but is the Purple line really fast enough? Any thought or experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Dave

Used my Powrtouch this afternoon but never thought about the speed. I turn mine 180 degs on the drive so I have to watch all 4 corners. Wouldn't want it too fast but more than fast enough for me.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

I have a Powertouch and find it a bit slow. It is odd that it has 3 speeds - slow, very slow, and very very slow. The speed you quote for the Powertouch is about 1/2 MPH. It will only do that if your battery is well charged. However as the others have said it is fast enough to get the job done.

Ern

I just fitted the powertouch classic and the speed is quoted at 25cm/sec, at first when I used it I thought it was slow but after using it a few times I realised you don't really want it any faster, it's slow and steady and a speed that is easy to control, mine has a variable speed also which is handy for hitching up to the car.

Compass Corona (Magnum) 524 (2003) -----------VW Passat Alltrack 170 BHP DSG

I have to reverse down a very steep drive with a single axle 1500kgs caravan. Are movers able to cope with steep slopes and do they have braking mechanism as I do not want the caravan to go crashing into my garage?

I have to reverse down a very steep drive with a single axle 1500kgs caravan. Are movers able to cope with steep slopes and do they have braking mechanism as I do not want the caravan to go crashing into my garage?

Moves don't have brakes, if the slope is steep there might be some slippage . Just walk with the van and be ready to pull on the handbrake.

The one I've just fitted, powertouch classic, has 4 speeds, normal, 75%, 50%, and 25% the slowest speed just inches along so you'd have loads of time and control of the caravan if it did start to slip to pull on the handbrake Edited by F185

Even at it's fastest speed my recently fitted Powrtouch EVO is noticeably slower than the Reich Move Control that it replaced. I guess the lower gearing allows it to cope better with slopes.

Land Rover is now back towing.

If you are going down a slope, be careful to note that it would have to be jockey wheel first or the hand brake will not work. Even if it did, the very action of the caravan stopping would tend to tip the van if it had a low nose weight . Be careful. .....Peter

Peter and Sandy pulling a 2016 Coachman VIP 565 with

2016 Ford Kuga 2. 0. 180 ps. Titanium Nav.

Retired and loving it.

Reversing, the handbrake really should work; it might take up to a foot to start and as it will be via one shoe it has not the full capability it would have in the forward direction; but it is malfunctioning if it does not work. Agreed the jockey wheel could kick up as the brake bites.

The power a mover pulls from the battery is greater if the mover drives faster, so the slower the better from that point of view.

Should you be using a good quality leisure battery as opposed to a relabelled starter battery this is very good news as then the current draw will be at levels that don't provoke the battery's plates to shed paste. Another reason why soft start is beneficial.

Edited by JTQ

Reversing, the handbrake really should work; it might take up to a foot to start and as it will be via one shoe it has not the full capability it would have in the forward direction; but it is malfunctioning if it does not work. Agreed the jockey wheel could kick up as the brake bites.

The power a mover pulls from the battery is greater if the mover drives faster, so the slower the better from that point of view.

Should you be using a good quality leisure battery as opposed to a relabelled starter battery this is very good news as then the current draw will be at levels that don't provoke the battery's plates to shed paste. Another reason why soft start is beneficial.

My battery should last for ever then, as to quote Edmond Blackadder, my powertouch is "as fast as an asthmatic ant. ......with some heavy shopping"

It's good that it goes slow but on the long straight run down the drive I wish it got a wriggle on!!!

I have a purpleline Enduro mover, and yes, it is quite slow. It gets there in the end.

when I looked into them, the enduro was cheap - but slow and drew more power off the battery than the more expensive ones. not bad for £500 though.

Re reversing down slopes. We have an ascent incline on to the flat bit of our drive and the van goes in forward so, when reversing out (with the mover), we always drop the jockey wheel to it's lowest position when we reach the start of the drop to offset the "tipping effect" on the rear end.

2019 Ford Kuga 2. 0 (150 bhp) AWD Manual and 2022 Coachman Acadia GTS 565.

I have the Mk1 powrtouch and it seems quite nippy compared to the later models :)

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)