Bailey Pageant Downlighter Bulb Change

mecamero

Hi All,

I have a 2007 Bailey Pageant Provence Series 6 caravan, and I am struggling to try to change the bulb in one of the 4 lights which are flush mounted in hte surround of the Heiki skylight, which has failed. I am not interested in changing to LEDs, I simply want to change a bulb which has blown. I have read other advice which seems to suggest you either need to twist the bezel anti-clockwise or prise it apart. I have tried to twist it anti-clockwise to open it, but it will not open, I haven't yet taken tools to it. Other advice posted says you have to lever it apart.

I want to avoid breaking it, since replacing the entire unit looks like it requires much more dismantling to get to the connection point for the wires.

Does anybody have a method for opening these reliably without breaking so that I can change the bulb?

Thanks in advance,

Ian

Sounds the same as the spots in my s5 senator, if they are with a slightly frosted glass disk and a black plastic circle around the inside rim, you need to get a very thin bladed electrical screwdriver or small knife (watch your fingers!), the join in the black plastic ring is difficult to see until you look really closely.

When you find it you can prise the retaining ring in on itself to make it smaller than the fitting, keep your finger on the glass disk or it will fall to the floor.

When refitting, spin the black plastic until it locates firmly, you may need to tease the two ends together with a blade again as they can be a bit stiff.

If they are totally different, apologies for butting in!

Hi and welcome to the Forum. :)

Yours are the same as mine and I will say DON'T use a screw driver too prize it off as it WILL BREAK :(

What you need to use your thumb and first 2 fingers on both hands, pushing upwards and at the same time turn anti clockwise.

Once it moves you can pull it down. I found 1 of the 4 was very difficult too turn as it would slip between you fingers, just persevere and you will get it. ;)

Dave

PS

There are 4 moulded lugs on the rim of the part you are trying to remove and these line up with 4 slots in the ceiling part

Edited by doosan

Bailey Pageant Series 6 Champagne 2007    Tow Car Toyota Rav4

I ended up changing to LED on our pageant. The halogen bulbs had as good as welded the light fittings together. They are supposed to be rotated to get the two halves apart. They will break or the glass will crack if you lever them apart.

Edited by rusty63

We have the Burgundy version of your caravan and I had just the same difficulty as you.

Do as Doosan says in his post and grip the fitting with thumb and 2 fingers of each hand and rotate anti-clockwise. I tried wearing a pair of rubber washing-up gloves to gain some extra grip and found that they really helped.

Hi All,

Thanks for all your fast replies. My downlighters are not like the ones described by sleepyfolk, but of the variety that seem to weld themselves together. In trying to twist the two halves apart the light started to work again, so its ok for now. However I am sure I will need to replace the complete unit or one of the others soon. Has anyone put a set of instructions together as to what you have to take apart to get at the wiring connections?

Ian

Its very easy. The cables pull out after you remove the lamps and I just used crimp connectors. You can get them from Bailey as LED ones think they were about £14 each and have to be wired only one way or they dont work.

Edited by rusty63

If you go to the Bailey part of the Tourers section of this forum you will find the top (pinned) item is about changing bulbs in a Heki roof light.

2018 Passat B8 Estate 150GT TDi150 towing a 2018 Bailey Unicorn S4 Seville

If you go to the Bailey part of the Tourers section of this forum you will find the top (pinned) item is about changing bulbs in a Heki roof light.

Just had a look at that and it's nothing like my Heki roof lights, mine are round so doesn't have a longest edge. :blink:

So I'm confused now. To me that pinned post is wrong for my Heki roof lights IMHO ;)

Hi, yes the pinned post doesn't describe the lights in mine either, which is why I posted my query.

In terms of replacing the whole light, I was thinking about being able to get to the point where the other end of the wires from the llights go. Does anyone know which bits of the surround hou have to dismantle to get to this and how easy it is to do? If its too difficult, I guess I would just use some sort of crimp connector as rusty63 suggested.

Are they the same as this one?

http://sfmcaravans. co. uk/products/copy-of-dometic-seitz-heki-2-spare-exterior-frame-960x655mm

This is the type I have.

Yep that's the same as mine.

yes thats the one. I couldnt work out how it came off and had a long list of other jobs so kind of lost interest! There was enough slack cable so used crimp tool and connectors and it was done. Now its LED dont expect to ever touch it again!

Edited by rusty63

Sounds the same as the spots in my s5 senator, if they are with a slightly frosted glass disk and a black plastic circle around the inside rim, you need to get a very thin bladed electrical screwdriver or small knife (watch your fingers!), the join in the black plastic ring is difficult to see until you look really closely.

When you find it you can prise the retaining ring in on itself to make it smaller than the fitting, keep your finger on the glass disk or it will fall to the floor.

When refitting, spin the black plastic until it locates firmly, you may need to tease the two ends together with a blade again as they can be a bit stiff.

Ours are the same as these so they must be Senator ones only. We've replaced all ours with smd's.

2007 Bailey Series 5 Senator Arizona (4 berth, rear bathroom, side dinette) towed by a 57 Kia Sorento XS Auto with Kumho KL17 tyres, Reich Mover, Kampa Rally 390, Caravan Tyres : GT Radial Maxmiler CX 185/80 R14 102R.

• 5 years later...
On 05/08/2014 at 03:28, sleepyfolk said:

5 years later, this was very helpful.. my Bailey P Monarch has those lights.. Thankyou..Sleepyfolk..🙂