A Productive Weekend

F185

Just had a good weekend fiddling around fixing things on the caravan and fitted a motor mover, the job wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, I think the worse bit was lifting the mover into position before bolting it on, also I was able to work reaching under the van from the side without having to crawl under. The electrics are easy a case of just following the instructions, and it works ( hooray).

I was able to move the van down the drive and on to the grass and position it in a way I would never of been able to using the car so a real bonus, and to top it all off I put the new awning ( canopy) up on my own!! In a few minutes

All in all a grand weekends work and now were ready for our trip to Devon next week.

Can't blooming wait. ..

post-68970-0-46909400-1407146546_thumb.jpg

post-68970-0-91844200-1407146631_thumb.jpg

post-68970-0-95252800-1407147205_thumb.jpg

Compass Corona (Magnum) 524 (2003) -----------VW Passat Alltrack 170 BHP DSG

Did it come with a fuse for the battery connection ? I have seen a number even professionally installed that are not fused to the control box which means the circuits are not fused and could result in a fire if it dead shorted somewhere .

i always fit a 80A in-line fuse at the battery to cover any problems .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

Well done!

If I get a mover I'll probably fit myself due to cost.

Just beginning our adventure. 95% of my time on CT I use my phone. As a result correct spelling and grammer will be used sparingly. This is due to fat fingers. Please don't let it bother you.

Did it come with a fuse for the battery connection ? I have seen a number even professionally installed that are not fused to the control box which means the circuits are not fused and could result in a fire if it dead shorted somewhere .

i always fit a 80A in-line fuse at the battery to cover any problems .

Dave

Dave, there was a inline fuse included between the battery and isolation switch, the kit was all pre crimped with the connectors so real easy to fit, I think the most time consuming part was drilling the hole for the isolation switch.

Really impressed by the powertouch kit and doesn't look too bulky sat in front of the wheel

Well done!

If I get a mover I'll probably fit myself due to cost.

It wasn't too hard to self fit Mark, and I'm glad I did do it myself,as I now know where the wires run and how it's attached so any probs in the future I can sort out easy knowing the system I fitted( if that makes sense).

As I said before the hardest part was lifting the loosely assembled cross bar and motors into position ready to clamp on, I did this by raising one side a few inches and chocking with planks then the other side until it was more or less in position and held it up with a trolley jack whilst I reached under to clamp it on. Bit of a fiddle but got there in the end

Congratulations - a job well done!

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Leave the caravan where it is, it looks a lovely site! :DIs it your garden??? :)

2011 Land Rover Freelander 2, Lago grey 2013 Freelander Dynamic Black, followed by a 2013 Elddis 574 Magnum GT white

Leave the caravan where it is, it looks a lovely site! :DIs it your garden??? :)

Thankyou It is my garden and behind where the van is parked is a bit of waste ground and that's where I want to put it instead having it in storage which is getting costly, and I can't reverse it up there using the car so hopefully the cost of the mover will be covered in 2 years in saved storage fees. :-)

My Thoughts excaclty! Can I book! :)

Looks like a good job to me. I have never fitted mine but think I could being a mechanical and electrical engineer. The biggest mistake I have seen is cutting the wires to the motors to the right length to fit. Different lengths of wire mean different resistance in each line hence both motors have different power so van won't go in a straight line. Curl up the excess wire so it can be fitted to another van if required.

2004 Citroen C5 2. 0ltr diesel auto VTR and 2011 Bailey Orion 430/4

How long did it take to fit the mover?

I started on the Friday and fitted the motors and cross bar which took about 2 hours after dodging the rain clouds, then on sat morning I done all the inside work so all about 4 hours i suppose.

Then there's all the tidying up . .....I got the wife to do that bit so she felt she helped :)

Three hours is pretty good, especially given that the dealer supplying our new van claimed it would take their workshop four hours . ... I think he might have been making that up to justify not giving me a discount though :-)

Three hours is pretty good, especially given that the dealer supplying our new van claimed it would take their workshop four hours . ... I think he might have been making that up to justify not giving me a discount though :-)

Four hours for a workshop is a bit much I think, I must of spent at least an hour drinking tea and working out what the next move would be and what tools I got, I if I do another one I could probably crack it in two and a half.

One thing that threw me was Powertouch refer to the van as the right hand motor being on the right side looking at the caravan from the front, ie the near side, now I've always thought about it looking forward to the hitch, so the right side is the off side.

After running the wires I had to triple check I was doing it their way as you end up with four wires going in to the control box, 2 for the right and 2 for the left.

• 2 weeks later...

My Thoughts excaclty! Can I book! :)

F185. ............can you get 5 caravans in your garden?? :D:D

2011 Land Rover Freelander 2, Lago grey 2013 Freelander Dynamic Black, followed by a 2013 Elddis 574 Magnum GT white

Do you take deposits?

Can I bring my 4 dogs?

Is there a playground?

Do you allocate pitches?

Can I arrive before 12 noon?

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Hey you think CC club wardens are strict, just wait till you book in to my garden, no dogs, no kids, no moaners, no Queueing outside, no arrivals before 6pm, must depart before 6am, additional charge for awnings, satellite dishes, generators, wind breaks, and the most important rule, no drinking alcohol without inviting me. All this for two tinnies a night. .......bargain haha

do you do 9 o'clockers and if I bring me stamps can I draw my blue liners?

Blimey Yeoman I have heard the phrase Blue liners for yonks, 9 0' clockers every night and make a mends every afternoon.

you sound like you've served on the pussers grey war canoes?