We Are Picking Up Up Our New Unicorn Barcelona 2014 Today....so Excited!

Appleby13

Can't believe today has finally arrived and we are picking up our Bailey Unicorn Barcelona 2014 after having just sold our lovely Adria Sportline DK 2013. The large front seating and the large kitchen work surfaces really sold us on the 2014 version even though we had waited for the Unicorn 3's release assuming it would be the same, but alas not, just glad we managed to grab one of the very few brand new 2014's as they as well as the forecourt show vans were all selling like hot cakes.

Is there anything we need to look out for on the caravan? We are planning on staying on a site close to the dealer for a few days just to make sure there are no real start up problems as will be easier to drop the van into them rather than the 3. 5hr drive with the van to them from our seasonal site. Any help/advice most welcome. We still consider ourselves to be newbies to caravanning as only started doing it last year with our Adria. :blush:

1st Caravan was an Adria Sportline DK 2013 which we owned for just over a year. ....fab van, brilliant construction but unfortunately internal set-up wasn't quite up to our needs!

2nd Caravan . ... here and now . ... Bailey Barcelona 2014 . ....

Check everything works and enjoy the whole experience!

Congratulations on your new purchase. Hope you have years of happy caravanning in the Barcelona. Just need to update the caravan details on the left now! ;)

2019 Ford Kuga 2. 0 (150 bhp) AWD Manual and 2022 Coachman Acadia GTS 565.

There are some oddities when comparing dimensions of the U2 & U3 Barcas.

Firstly they are about the same shipping length at 26ft and 25ft 11ins, but strangely the U3 is supposed to be 20ft 11ins internally and the U2 20ft 5ins. Quite where that extra 6ins has come from is a mystery.

The fixed double bed of the U2 is 6ft 3ins by 4ft 4ins but the U3's has shrunk in length by an inch and widened by an inch.

The nearside front benches of both are of an identical length at 5ft 9ins, but the U3 has lost 2ins off its offside bench as the U2's was 6ft 2ins and they're now 6ft exactly. Quite how Bailey can square this with the claim that bench/bed sizes have grown on the U3s seems strange. It's especially strange when you realise that the U2's front benches are 2ft 4ins wide, whereas the U3 makes do with 2ft 2ins. Presumably this means the aisle between them has grown from from 1ft 10ins to 2ft 2ins

Moving on to the much commented on kitchen, as best I can tell the U3 Barca's worktop, including the sink, amounts to 728 square ins and with the extension erected it becomes 962 sq ins. The extension adding roughly a third more space.

Comparing it to the U2's equivalent, the total worktop is 1062 sq ins or 10% more than the U3 with the extension extended. However compare that with the U3's without the extension and the worktop has shrunk by more than 30%.

This is being a bit unfair to the U3 however, because across the aisle from the kitchen both models have a cabinet with a work surface on top. In the case of the U2 this amounts to about 234 sq ins, whereas the U3 has a much larger 800 sq ins. When you add all those things together then the overall worktop on a U2 amounts to 1296 sq ins and 1762 sq ins on the U3 with the extension flap, or 1528sq ins without.

So whilst the actual kitchen of the U3 Barca is undoubtedly smaller, the overall amount of worktop can be up to 36% larger.

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

Firstly they are about the same shipping length at 26ft and 25ft 11ins, but strangely the U3 is supposed to be 20ft 11ins internally and the U2 20ft 5ins. Quite where that extra 6ins has come from is a mystery.

The fixed double bed of the U2 is 6ft 3ins by 4ft 4ins but the U3's has shrunk in length by an inch and widened by an inch.

The nearside front benches of both are of an identical length at 5ft 9ins, but the U3 has lost 2ins off its offside bench as the U2's was 6ft 2ins and they're now 6ft exactly. Quite how Bailey can square this with the claim that bench/bed sizes have grown on the U3s seems strange. It's especially strange when you realise that the U2's front benches are 2ft 4ins wide, whereas the U3 makes do with 2ft 2ins. Presumably this means the aisle between them has grown from from 1ft 10ins to 2ft 2ins

Moving on to the much commented on kitchen, as best I can tell the U3 Barca's worktop, including the sink, amounts to 728 square ins and with the extension erected it becomes 962 sq ins. The extension adding roughly a third more space.

Comparing it to the U2's equivalent, the total worktop is 1062 sq ins or 10% more than the U3 with the extension extended. However compare that with the U3's without the extension and the worktop has shrunk by more than 30%.

This is being a bit unfair to the U3 however, because across the aisle from the kitchen both models have a cabinet with a work surface on top. In the case of the U2 this amounts to about 234 sq ins, whereas the U3 has a much larger 800 sq ins. When you add all those things together then the overall worktop on a U2 amounts to 1296 sq ins and 1762 sq ins on the U3 with the extension flap, or 1528sq ins without.

So whilst the actual kitchen of the U3 Barca is undoubtedly smaller, the overall amount of worktop can be up to 36% larger.

Andy you need to get out more. .. :D:D

If memory not foamed, reckon it's standard that the internal measurement is taken at the height of the top of seat back so there could easily be that 6". The slope of the front or rear of a van could also show differences when measured at that height.

Sam :beardy:

Swift always define the internal measurement 'at bed box height', which is fine, but is it top, bottom or middle of the bed box?

As far as I can see there's nothing really altered on Barca's at that height that would provide a 6ins difference. In theory it could mean the hitch was 6ins shorter on the U3.

Looking at the two Cadiz and Valencia models, the U3 version is an inch longer and 4ins longer inside on each, so maybe the attack angle of the front panel has been altered, which allows more space inside.

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

Thank you all, we are currently here on site enjoying her and yes we did check that awning rail, just as well too as there was a jam happening on the rear end of her which was sorted before we left the dealer. Have to say we LOVE her already, the work top space is truly amazing, we were not happy about the lift up version on the new U3 as we feel it would not be substantial enough to weight bare for chopping or placing certain things on and such and certainly not where kids are concerned as they have a tendency to lean on things. ...plus they went right over the seating area which mean't whoever was sat there had to move plus if anything was knocked over lets just say i wouldn't have been very happy!!! In our Adria we had a lift up flap coffee table which was perfect for cups of tea/coffee and a sandwich but not much more so we are very happy with our choice. We are also happy to keep those extra 2" on the width of the front seating as we saw they had knocked of those 2" on the newer versions. As we need them for singles for both an adult and a child every inch counts and coming from an adria with a very good width sizes, this was important. Love the fancy wine cabinet too, the mirror in her is lovely and bounces the light out nicely. We have just turned the lights on around the heki in the lounge and have closed the blinds. ....WOW. .....i'm not sitting in a caravan anymore i'm in a house LOL. Seriously those blinds and ambient lighting. .. can't believe the difference they make. Hubby has only just figured out how to turn the water heater on for hot water heehee, he forgot about that switch on the bottom of the front seats :P sorry just laughing at him.

The only things we would change if we really could is the kitchen sink, would put a larger one in, a less noisy water pump - our adria had no sound hardly at all, a child/adult friendly tap in the bathroom (we'll probs change this ourselves anyway) and a direct water supply to the toilet rather than the flush tank - again as our Adria. But seriously overall she's fantastic. ..that front window is seriously amazing, all that light and all that view!!! And for the record I like her "eyebrows", although hubby's not that impressed by them heehee. .i think they are cute. ...and gives her some character LOL! My opinion though so please don't knock it :P We know she'll be better suited to us and our needs than our last van especially when she's placed on our seasonal site. Happy Days so far :D

1st Caravan was an Adria Sportline DK 2013 which we owned for just over a year. ....fab van, brilliant construction but unfortunately internal set-up wasn't quite up to our needs!

Hi Appleby

Hope you all enjoy your new van and it proves a hit for your family!

Happy 'vanning

ST

Unless you've tried it, you simply won't understand. .....

Shower leaks due to lack of sealent and the front sunroof decor falling off or the only reported issues.

Hi Appleby, re the lights around the Heki - are you aware that the switches for these are dimmer switches ? Try depressing a switch & hold it down. You can really get some ambient lights then :)

Les.
2. 0ltr 150TDCi TITANIUM X KUGA + 2016 Elddis Crusader Mistral ( Misty )

" I could agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong "

Glen and Les Posted Yesterday, 12:44 PM

Congratulations on your new purchase. Hope you have years of happy caravanning in the Barcelona. Just need to update the caravan details on the left now! ;)

Thanks Glen and Les and Perksm and thanks for reminding me to update my caravan details. ....forgot about that one :P

Awesom choice of van guys, hope you love yours as much as we love ours B)

Thanks Kiwi x

Hi Appleby

Hope you all enjoy your new van and it proves a hit for your family!

Happy 'vanning

ST

Hey sunshinetours :D Thanks for all your help and support with our Adria over the last year you've been great and and its been an honor for us to meet/chat to you on this forum x

Shower leaks due to lack of sealent and the front sunroof decor falling off or the only reported issues.

Thanks for the heads up xtrailman, we'll keep an eye out on these.

Hi Appleby, re the lights around the Heki - are you aware that the switches for these are dimmer switches ? Try depressing a switch & hold it down. You can really get some ambient lights then :)

Thanks lesbunny for this fab sounding tip, have just informed hubby of this info and he's going to be trying your tip out tonight LOL . ... we can't wait for the sun to go down now :lol:

post-59988-0-84054800-1407261329_thumb.jpg Saying goodbye to our Adria Sportline DK (Sporty) on Sunday just gone :(

post-59988-0-06758300-1407261121_thumb.jpg Picking up our new Unicorn yesterday :D

Check for leaky shower.

Telltale is mousture on floor inside dirty clothes bin - and 'weeping' from under shower base.

Known issue - byt Bailey still sent mine out April 14 Build- with this fault.

Dealer sorted now - not properly sealed behind grey corner unit at factory!

DJ

I seem to remember reading somewhere on the CaravanTalk forum that you need to take care when closing external lockers,making sure you push shut both corners of the door, to avoid damp entering.

Perhaps other Unicorn owners could confirm this to you.

And enjoy that new caravan!

attachicon.gifbye bye sporty. jpg Saying goodbye to our Adria Sportline DK (Sporty) on Sunday just gone :(

attachicon.gifOur new unicorn. jpg Picking up our new Unicorn yesterday :D

Did you get the new Barcelona from Forest of Dean Caravans? It all looks familiar to me!

Glen.

Check for leaky shower.

Telltale is mousture on floor inside dirty clothes bin - and 'weeping' from under shower base.

Known issue - byt Bailey still sent mine out April 14 Build- with this fault.

Dealer sorted now - not properly sealed behind grey corner unit at factory!

DJ

Thank you DJ, i have literally just tried out the new shower (very nice :) ) and hubby has checked in the clothes bin and under shower base as you suggested and all seems okay, we will keep checking this though. The sealant looks to be everywhere as we would expect but we will keep on checking this as you never can tell. Love the two drains, really handy in the shower. Thank you DJ.

I seem to remember reading somewhere on the CaravanTalk forum that you need to take care when closing external lockers,making sure you push shut both corners of the door, to avoid damp entering.

Perhaps other Unicorn owners could confirm this to you.

And enjoy that new caravan!

Thank you MillieDog, will do so :)

Did you get the new Barcelona from Forest of Dean Caravans? It all looks familiar to me!

Glen.

Yes we did Glen and Les :D You know them well i take it LOL

However - I loved my S2 pegasus - really well built - think and hope U2 will be as good.

Positives - love the big window - heating is cosy - kitchen great - higher level sink is good - comfy seats and bed!

Enjoy!

Hi. Appleby's hubby here

Should the Barcelona have a blue shower mat. We recall seeing it in the vans when we were looking around, but can't see one in ours?

Yes we did Glen and Les :D You know them well i take it LOL

We bought our two previous caravans from them and I was genuinely upset that we had to defect to another dealer to buy the Coachman. We always had good deal prices and good service as well - we miss them!

Glen and Les

Yes they do seem very good and helpful. Nice to find good service

Kidman

Thanks, will have to ask for it as can't see it anywhere

sportycara, on 05 Aug 2014 - 9:54 PM, said:

Hi. Appleby's hubby here

Should the Barcelona have a blue shower mat. We recall seeing it in the vans when we were looking around, but can't see one in ours?

Have you got the carpets fitted? Ours came still rolled up and the shower mat was in amongst them.