Devestating Damp

Well guys n gals I cannot even put into words how devistated I am. I can honestly say I have never felt so low. Some of you may remember me mentioning that I have a 17 year old son with Autism and we had bought an old (1980's) abi monza 1400ct to try caravanning. My son really loved it. This week on facebook the opportunity arose for us to upgrade to a lovely Abi nightstar. We picked up the van we had been told about previous damp and was told this had all been sorted and were really looking forward to trying it out. We had noticed that at the rear of the van there was what I initially thought was a cushion, there was a metal sprung bunk as one of the support arms had no screws in that it would be best to remove it as we had no use for it and it (with my son) be safer. I cannot begin to tell you my horror when we removed the bunk the wallpaper pulled away like tissue and the majority of the back wall is damp, and still wet. I can't go in the caravan without bursting into tears. I know you lovely people will say it can all be fixed but I have used our hard saved savings and do not have any disposal funds for the repair work. I am heartbroken. I'm sorry but needed to share. xx

Sorry to hear about that, sounds like a nightmare scenario, take some pictures and post in the repair section as something similar happened to someone else recently and I think they've got sorted with some useful advice on here without it costing a fortune

You MUST check before purchase whatever you are told. If you don't know how to, get advice. I'd regard anything second-hand advertised on facebook, ebay, whatever as rubbish until I was satisfied otherwise.

Enjoy every minute of every day. It doesn't last nearly as long as you'd like, and there's no guarantee of coming this way again.

If the ad stated no damp and it is a private purchase, then the only way is to use the Misinterpretations Act and if necessary once misinterpretation has been proved, do a small claims court which should cost you under a £100 but you need to know what you are doing.

I know you must be devastated and you've heard it before but it IS fixable on a low budget, trust me i'm not a big spender!

I've a blog on here about how I did ours with pics if it's of any help to you if you fancy tackling the job yourself or getting some inexpensive or free help.

It's also amazing what people are chucking out their garages etc when they realise you've got a project on the go even if it is old bits of wood, wallboard etc.

Come on, Girl Power, show them you can do it!

Do you have any pics?

Compass Shadow 1988