There is a lot of chat about the SCA charger/PSU used by Bailey. I am now on my third unit in 4 years. Basically in very hot weather they burn out, Partly a design fault and partly a Bailey installation issue.

A number of people have recommended CTEK. Whilst a good battery charger they struggle as PSU's. When in their Bulk charge phase their is a point where they go into an Analysis phase. If you have a charge on the battery, say a TV, the CTEK will think the battery is failing and switch off. Result a dead battery some hours later unless you notice and restart the CTEK.

Best solution to go for another specific caravan charger like SCA, Amperon or Sargent. Don't try and fit it into the Bailey PSU box but leave it outside in the locker.

There is a lot of chat about the SCA charger/PSU used by Bailey. I am now on my third unit in 4 years. Basically in very hot weather they burn out, Partly a design fault and partly a Bailey installation issue.

A number of people have recommended CTEK. Whilst a good battery charger they struggle as PSU's. When in their Bulk charge phase their is a point where they go into an Analysis phase. If you have a charge on the battery, say a TV, the CTEK will think the battery is failing and switch off. Result a dead battery some hours later unless you notice and restart the CTEK.

Best solution to go for another specific caravan charger like SCA, Amperon or Sargent. Don't try and fit it into the Bailey PSU box but leave it outside in the locker.

I think you misunderstood. .. You need to use one of the larger Ctek units that have a 'supply' mode. These can supply a constant 13. 8v supply, like the original caravan PSU unit. See --> http://www. ctek. com/gb/en/chargers/MXS%2025

A 'standard' Ctek charger is a fantastic charger but is no good as a power supply. There is also a company that repairs the original BCA PSU and improves upon the original design and makes it less problematic in heat.

ALSO Welcome :):welcome:

Edited by dreadly

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi

I don't know about the Bailey charger and any problems it may have, I don't own a Bailey.

But I do have a CTEK charger on my van and there have been no problems over the 3 years I have owned it.

It was quite an expensive unit at about £89 IIRC ( self fit ), but it has performed admirably - when used in the correct mode.

IIRC it has 7 modes.

If I wanted to use the CTEK as a PSU I wouldn't use it in the charge mode, I'd use it in the PSU mode, mine does have a PSU mode though I think maybe the cheaper CTEK's don't.

I am familiar with the analyse mode you speak of - that does not happen in the PSU mode though, I suggest you are using it in the wrong mode.

There are distinct differences in the electrical requirements for just a PSU or for charging.

And my CTEK makes provision for those differences in the mode switch options - that is why I bought my particular model of CTEK.

But then again - I did read the manual supplied with it.

2001 Swift Charisma 230.
Volvo V70 TDI Auto

I also read the manual and spent many hours researching the various modes and alternative suppliers of PSU's. I have the CTEK XS7000 which puts out up to 7A. I started off using the SUPPLY mode which dies not have any of the "intelligent" features of the NORMAL mode. I even contacted CTEK and was told by them explicitly to use the NORMAL mode. It seems pretty clear to me that the problem with NORMAL mode is as I have said an issue to do with the ANALYSE feature. If there is a drain of say 4A at true time it goes into ANALYSE it believes the battery has a fault like a dead cell and goes into ERROR mode i. e. suspends charging. Then what happens is unless you notice and press the MODE button to reset the cycle the battery simply goes flat.

I do however think the SUPPLY mode is correct and the advice from CTEK was wrong.

I may keep the CTEK XS7000 as a backup and replace the original SCA Charger/PSU but instead of putting it into the original Bailey box which does not allow any cooling I may mount the new unit outside the consumer unit but still in the underseat box area and mount an additional 12V computer cooling fan.

Dreadly can you tell us who repairs the SCA units?

:welcome: To the Forum

Try this company http://leisureelectronicrepairs. co. uk/

Bailey Pageant Series 6 Champagne 2007    Tow Car Toyota Rav4