"largely Timber Free"?

Eddiewin88

I came across the Practical Caravan review of the Pursuit.

The sentence that caught my eye was, "the body is built using Bailey’s largely timber-free Alu-Tech construction"

Is that a misunderstanding? - surely the dreaded timber isn't making its way back!?

At first I thought they meant the floor - but they're quite specific about 'the body' - which I assume means the walls & roof.

http://www. practicalcaravan. com/reviews/caravan/29797-bailey-pursuit-560-5

Edited by Eddiewin88

Do Bailey still use plywood interior wall cladding? That's probably what the article means.

Ern

There is no wood in the main body panels, only the floor, and that was being investigated to replace with a bonded unit when it was possible.

PC does not make this clear, which is rather shoddy reporting.

Do Bailey still use plywood interior wall cladding? That's probably what the article means.

I thought they used a GRP inner wall cladding like the original Alu-techs.

No, there is no plywood on the internal walls, which is why the standard method of damp testing cannot be done with a damp meter which uses prongs to penetrate the wood.

How do they damp test. ...just curious because I think my Pegasus GT65 also has grp inner walls.

How do they damp test. ...just curious because I think my Pegasus GT65 also has grp inner walls.

By feel with the hand, damp areas feel colder than other areas, or with an ultrasonic tester.

Only wooden floor with alutech

When your van fills with water and runs into the wardrobe and under to the fixed beds no damp meter is need just your eyes.

. ., or with an ultrasonic tester.

That's why I bought one of those with a ball on the top. :)

Tony