Storm Damage

brotherdeal

I have just been away for the weekend in my caravan in the Cotswolds, where we experienced a freak storm. The kampa 390 awning was ripped off the van snapped two of the poles, then it smashed against the front corner and roof of van. There are 6 dents, they are small but noticeable.

This is my first year of caravaning and I'm just about to renew my policy. I'm not sure what to do, whether to claim or not! What effect would a claim have on my insurance in the caravaning world?

The caravan is a 2006 coachman and was in very good condition with no dents as of this weekend.

Do I claim or just leave it as battle scar's? As the awning poles are going to be cheap to replace.

Presumably you will loose the advantage of having one years no-claim on your renewal date. No idea how much that is as a percentage. How much is your excess?

I had some damage last year but as my excess was £200 and I did not expect the repair to be much more I paid for it myself. In the event it cost me £200. :)

Edited by Easy T

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

Where about in the Cotwolds were you? We had beautiful weather! :)

2011 Land Rover Freelander 2, Lago grey 2013 Freelander Dynamic Black, followed by a 2013 Elddis 574 Magnum GT white

Winchcombe, the weather really turned on us. Only for 30 mins or so

But it was enough to cause a fair amount of damage. Awnings damaged, tents destroyed and bits of trees every where.

Hi brotherdeal

Most insurers will consider your claims experience in the last 5 years as one of many factors (the caravan type, size, value, security fitted etc) in setting your price. So if you make a claim this year, and everything else stays equal, then you can expect them to hike your premium next year. If you really wanted to you could run a couple of quotes - one with a claim last year, one without - and then see what the difference is.

So I'd agree with Five Star that you need to check your excess and get a quote for the repairs to see what you'd be paid if you made a claim. I'd also double check the wording of your policy to ensure you can actually make a claim (e. g. awning cover is often separated from cover for the caravan's main body / chassis so I'm not sure how they'd look on damage to the body, caused by the awning!!).

Given that you say the costs to repair the awning itself are small, I'd be tempted to leave things and avoid the insurance hassle!

Has anyone ever tried getting dents out of caravan roofs (rooves??) with the contraption that

is used for car body panels? :unsure: It should be easier, as a roof is only thin aluminium. :)

2011 Land Rover Freelander 2, Lago grey 2013 Freelander Dynamic Black, followed by a 2013 Elddis 574 Magnum GT white

Not really gravon, the aluminium stretches and it would then be raised. Leave well alone as most dealers do not bother about minor roof indentations. .......Peter

Peter and Sandy pulling a 2016 Coachman VIP 565 with

2016 Ford Kuga 2. 0. 180 ps. Titanium Nav.

Retired and loving it.

Has anyone ever tried getting dents out of caravan roofs (rooves??) with the contraption that

is used for car body panels? :unsure: It should be easier, as a roof is only thin aluminium. :)

Its like throwing a stone into water, theres a undent where the stone hits followed by ripples to the surrounding area. pulling the hole back doesn't lower the ripple.

It can be done on steel with the aid of a hammer but aluminium stretches too much

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)