Front Window Fell Out!

So, this was our first trip out in our caravan (complete novices), I have posted a new thread about more general problems we encountered but this is an emergency.

Opened the window in the morning (had been fine day before) and it fell out, more accurately it fell off the front of the van, as its glued on. Mnaged to put it back in and do the latches up so it is secureish. BUT local Adria agent cant fix it until end of September and wont say how much it will cost. In the meantime it is letting in some rain - have gaffered taped it up, this seems to have stopped it.

Anyone else had this issue? or can suggest a DIY fix?

As it is a 2011 caravan is it still under warranty? Did you buy from a dealer as you may still be covered under Sale of Goods Act?

Where did you buy the van from, is it still in Adria's warrantee period, how long have you had it? need to know so we can advise on best options.

Its a 2011, we brought from a dealer (not Adria) with it seems no guarantee or anything. Our local Adria dealer said that for this age only the damp is still covered.

Normally a dealer will give 3 montgs guarantee so if you bought it recently, I would get the dealer to fix it. Or at least try!

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Brought it a month ago, we have tried to ask nicely to get it fixed, lots of apologies, send photos etc. .....but no actual offer to fix. I think I'll mention Sale of Goods Act. Will also look at caravan insurance. Jut want it sorted sooner rather than later.

You may have to decide whether you pursue the dealer or not.

The threat of a County Court action through the small claims procedure may help.

But you will have to go through with this. People on the forum will gladly advise you but a visit to your County Court may help. The office staff there are generally very helpful.

Or you stand it yourself and never use them again, but I'm guessing that a 2011 van was not cheap.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

I dont even know what costs we're talking about to fix the window, may all be a storm in a teacup for £50. Not happy that the Altea dealer wont say how much. Could ring another one I suppose.

Be amazed if you don't have any sort of warranty with a 2011 van from a dealer, but either way you would have some recourse with threat of SOGA as mentioned.

Hope you get sorted and find out what has happened not a great start for you

Unless you've tried it, you simply won't understand. .....

The sale of goods act says the item must be of merchantable quality, your front window fell out any normal person would think that not merchantable, The dealer is fobbing you off unless the defect was pointed out to you and you accepted it before purchase, Give the citizens advice line a ring and arm yourself before going back to get it sorted.

The sale of goods act says the item must be of merchantable quality, your front window fell out any normal person would think that not merchantable, The dealer is fobbing you off unless the defect was pointed out to you and you accepted it before purchase, Give the citizens advice line a ring and arm yourself before going back to get it sorted.

In addition;

Sale of Goods Act Key Facts:

1 Wherever goods are bought they must "conform to contract". This means they must be as described, fit for purpose and of satisfactory quality (i. e. not inherently faulty at the time of sale).

2 Goods are of satisfactory quality if they reach the standard that a reasonable person would regard as satisfactory, taking into account the price and any description. Aspects of quality include fitness for purpose, freedom from minor defects, appearance and finish, durability and safety.

3 It is the seller, not the manufacturer, who is responsible if goods do not conform to contract.

4 If goods do not conform to contract at the time of sale, purchasers can request their money back "within a reasonable time". (This is not defined and will depend on circumstances)

5 For up to six years after purchase (five years from discovery in Scotland) purchasers can demand damages (which a court would equate to the cost of a repair or replacement).

OP suggest you send dealer the pics as still very recently happened and hopefully no need for all this as they should get on the case

You say that the window was "glued on", which I don't understand.

The window frame will be attached to the caravan at the top by means of a hinge, and in some vans it's possible to move the window from side to side on the hinge in order to line the window up more accurately with the caravan rubber seal. Move the window too far to the side and it will come away from the hinge.

Or has the hinge itself come away from the caravan ?

Worth adding this link in for Adria spares. Also the company running it offer mobile Adria approved servicing

http://www. adriaspares. co. uk/

dealer has photos etc, if he hasnt replied by tonight we'll get a bit heavier. Am unfortunately familiar with county courts as we have tenants and have had to take action a few times over the years (obv no SofGA). Was hoping he'd be a bit more helpful without persuasion!

post-68344-0-17845100-1407171624_thumb.jpg the window isnt broken luckily.

Thanks for the link to the approved mobile dealer, would be very useful, but we're not in 25 miles of Cambridge.

Sunny, was more the point they offer a mail order Adria spares service if needed.

Hope you are getting some answers

The person we brought it from has indicated that he will fix it, so just need to arrange when now. By the sounds of it if we were paying it is a few hours labour and some glue, so maybe would have been £150. Anyway, good news indeed!

• 5 months later...

Hurray! :goodpost::D

A Fiat Doblo camper and a Lunar Ariva 2019
grace my drive.