Commonwealth Games - Lots Of Fords

MillieDog

We've been enjoying the TV coverage of the Commonwealth Games, and couldn't help noticing how many Ford Mondeo Estates there are supporting the cycling.

Will they appear for sale somewhere - cheap?

From next week. . any dealer near you!

They will probaly end up on dealers forecourts as ex demonstrators

Quite normal they have been supplying two events that i do for years being RIAT (Where they have supplied evrything from fords, JLR, Volvo and Aston Martins (some in the past)) and also the Mac 4x4 where they provide exporeres.

Bailey Pageant Bretagne Series 6 - LR Discovery Td5 Auto

From next week. . any dealer near you!

I went into a Ford dealer yesterday enquiring about a new Mondeo hatch, the one that is just finishing, and they did not have one. They searched all the Ford dealers and found one in Bristol. I will keep hold of mine and see what the new one is like. Good tow car by the way.

Mondeos good workhorses in my opinion.

Good tow car by the way.

I can only agree with you.

And lots and lots and lots of these supporting that other bike race!!!

14609639691_1659036abf.jpg

14426509417_53af2daa8f.jpg

Edited by Czech connection

Škoda Octavia Estate 2. 0TDi 4x4 towing a Compass Omega 482.

Product placement is good publicity for manufacturers, they often pay the event organisers to be allowed to provide the vehicles!

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

BMW paid a fortune to provide the cars for the London Olympics. Over 3,000 of them, I seem to remember.

Enjoy every minute of every day. It doesn't last nearly as long as you'd like, and there's no guarantee of coming this way again.

Why have I never despite being in the trade ever driven a nice Mondeo diesel. Tried a 2009 one last week, horrible car with more faults with it than it had a right to.

You've been unlucky - my 2009 diesel has been a fantastic famiy/towcar. Owned from new, now on 61000 miles, and no real faults (gear linkage got a bit stiff and dealer lubricated it, bonnet catch siezed and needed cleaning/lubricating), its economical, good nose weight, big boot. .. the list goes on.

I accept its not as smooth as a friends 6 cylinder petrol BMW, but its a good diesel.

Why have I never despite being in the trade ever driven a nice Mondeo diesel. Tried a 2009 one last week, horrible car with more faults with it than it had a right to.

My 57 reg Mondeo TDCI 140 has needed new brakes a few times and now needs a new part for the aircon that will cost £300 to put right.

I have had it from new and it has covered 120,000 miles, still on the same battery, exhaust system and clutch. Yes, it has been regularly serviced. I am taking it to France, again, in a few weeks time. I will be looking at the new one to come out soon to replace it. This one is the third one I have had. I have been caravanning for 30 years and trailer tenting before that and it is the best tow I have had without going the 4 x 4 route.

The ones I have driven and there was another one today, seem to have heavy snatchy clutches, seem to wobble down the road and just feel tired when compared with something with twice the mileage on from Audi or VW.

Maybe it is just that I get to drive quite a few cars each day so I guess I compare each more than some do, I am in the market for a change and like the looks and size of the Mondeo, however not the drive or it seems build quality.

What about this one ?

GAS .

I want the bikes.

I make that 3-1 for the Mondeo up to now.

The ones I have driven and there was another one today, seem to have heavy snatchy clutches, seem to wobble down the road and just feel tired when compared with something with twice the mileage on from Audi or VW.

Maybe it is just that I get to drive quite a few cars each day so I guess I compare each more than some do, I am in the market for a change and like the looks and size of the Mondeo, however not the drive or it seems build quality.

I want the bikes.

I'm surprised by your experiences wih Mondeos, screenman. Before this one I had 2 of the previous model (estates), the first of which was a real gem, but the second had the dangerous habit of cutting out on motorways. Since neither the dealer nor Ford seemed interested in prolonging my life I moved on to the Skoda Octavia estate (x2).

When the current van arrived I needed a bit more power and quite a bit more weight, so I decided to try another Mondeo Estate, the current shape (Mk4?) made in 2011. All I can say it - it goes extremely well both solo and as a towcar, absolutely nothing has gone wrong with it in 40,000 miles, and its build quality and economy are quite outstanding. And no snatching clutch or road wobbles. There is just one drawback (there's always at least one) and that is the fact that parking it is some of the more modern multi-storey car parks is like parking a barge - so I just keep well clear of them.

I propose to hang onto this one for at least another 2-3 years, by which time they should have ironed out the bugs in the new model (when it finally arrives) although I believe that it may be even larger than this one, so that may be the time to try something else. But I shall certainly be sorry to see this one go.

Edited by GMC

Swift Challenger 565 2016 and Ford Kuga Titanium X TDCi

I remember the time that they cut out especially on motorways, it wasn't a hard job to fix if you knew someone with the tackle.

I'm another that fell out with fords and said I wouldn't have another. However I'm very happy with mine, both towing and solo driving is a pleasure :)

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

I remember the time that they cut out especially on motorways, it wasn't a hard job to fix if you knew someone with the tackle.

I'm another that fell out with fords and said I wouldn't have another. However I'm very happy with mine, both towing and solo driving is a pleasure :)

Hi Paul, you don't say what car you are happy with and your tow car is not in your profile.

Hi Paul, you don't say what car you are happy with and your tow car is not in your profile.

Its a Mk4 Mondeo per his signature (you won't be able to see it on mobile version of site however)

I've driven a couple of Mondeo's and nice enough but I do have to agree at a few years old you can tell difference between them and more premium German makes at a few years old. You pays your money. ...

Unless you've tried it, you simply won't understand. .....