Unusual Place To Find A Bailey

F185

Driving across miles and miles of wilderness on east Falkland I came across this. ....

Bearing in mind this is 8000 miles away

post-68970-0-54015500-1407052308_thumb.jpg

Compass Corona (Magnum) 524 (2003) -----------VW Passat Alltrack 170 BHP DSG

They must of been seeking peace and tranquillity? I bet the ferry fare must of been horrendous?? :P

мы приходим невидимый - HM Submarines Conqueror, Churchill, Renown, Onslaught, Ocelot, Porpoise

Seaman, it must of cost a fortune to have it shipped out there, the weird thing was, it was sited at a settlement with no roads going to it apart from an old drovers track.

****** travellers!! :D Wot you doin' in the Falklands?????????? :blink:

Edited by WispMan

2011 Land Rover Freelander 2, Lago grey 2013 Freelander Dynamic Black, followed by a 2013 Elddis 574 Magnum GT white

****** travellers!! :DWot you doin' in the Falklands?????????? :blink:

Don't think the travelling community would like the Falklands, too blooming cold.

I was on a pilgrimage to revisited the places I was at 32 years ago during the Conflict, not much has changed, I was made very welcome by the locals who are still worried about being taken over by Argentina although we have a big military garrison down there. The people of the Falklands are so British, it's like stepping back in time to an era where seeing union flags flying outside peoples houses are a sign of being proud to be British, rather than here where you may be seen as being racist if you fly our Flag.

Sorry personal gripe of mine. ..

In March this year I saw a Bailey Pegasus Millennium edition being towed by an X-Trail checking into a campsite in Urunga on Australia's Pacific coast, I later spoke to the owner who told me he ad bought from an English family who's Mother had emigrated and shopped her caravan out. Bit after 2 months had decided she didn't like Oz and went home, telling her children to just get rid of the caravan!

He was very pleased with it, and I was able to explain the workings of the Alko stabilizer to him and gave him advice on getting pads etc. However in Oz they don't use breakaway cables, just a pair of crossed chains so the caravan stays behind the towing vehicle!!

BTW the site - North Coast Holiday Parks Urunga Heads - was excellent, we stopped in a cabin, right on the beach with glorious views and excellent facilities as all their parks have

Lunar Clubman SB 2013 following a Hyundai Tucson MHEV 4x4 2 ltr 185 hp Premium SE (2019)

Think he was the Baily Owners Club rally steward, first on the field"

Volvo XC60 D5 AWD AUTO. Lunar Lexon 570

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing

2 x darling grandaughters and her

Quality van. Bailey Pageant Normandie Series 7 :)

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

I was on a pilgrimage to revisited the places I was at 32 years ago during the Conflict, not much has changed, I was made very welcome by the locals who are still worried about being taken over by Argentina although we have a big military garrison down there.

Sorry personal gripe of mine. ..

Hats off to you for being there. One of the greatest British military triumphs in my view.

Were you actively serving and in which parts?

It's probably the closest transient dealer he could find to carry out his warranty work!

Fantastic :lol: :lol:

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi

Quality van. Bailey Pageant Normandie Series 7 :)

That's not a series 7. I think it's series 5.

Kia Sorento KX-2 Auto - Bailey Pegasus GT65 Ancona

Hats off to you for being there. One of the greatest British military triumphs in my view.

Were you actively serving and in which parts?

Thanks Caravanarfa, I was at the time a young Able Seaman serving aboard the frigate HMS Avenger, we were lucky as we came through unscathed, had a few scary moments though.

32 years ago!! Seems like yesterday. :huh:

2011 Land Rover Freelander 2, Lago grey 2013 Freelander Dynamic Black, followed by a 2013 Elddis 574 Magnum GT white

I worked for a company that supplied earthmoving equipment right at the start of the building of Mount pleasant airport. They shipped out Three caravans to house service engineers initially. They did it because they could be containerised and because there was a lack of lifting and handling equipment, so they could be moved by a lwb landrover which was shipped with them.

Thanks Caravanarfa, I was at the time a young Able Seaman serving aboard the frigate HMS Avenger, we were lucky as we came through unscathed, had a few scary moments though.

Did you pop into the globe for a pint or two! Must go and revisit one day and see if the Ambuscade plaque is still on the wall

Did you pop into the globe for a pint or two! Must go and revisit one day and see if the Ambuscade plaque is still on the wall

Sleepyfolk I went in to the Globe on a few occasions, not much else to do in the evenings,

A fellow 21'er Sleepyfolk?

post-68970-0-96590200-1407105312_thumb.jpg

Done some googling. Now I know where F185 comes from.

A short passage I found- reproduced the benefit of other readers. ...

Captain White led Avenger in the Falklands War surviving an attack by an Exocet missile which it shot out of the sky with the 4. 5 inch mark 8 gun on the focsle of the ship. Her divers salvaged a 20mm Oerlikon from the wreck of HMS Antelope which was remounted to increase her Anti-Aircraft capability,referred to on board as "Antelopes Avenger". She also assisted with naval gunfire support during the campaign.

Edited by Caravanarfa

Done some googling. Now I know where F185 comes from.

A short passage I found- reproduced the benefit of other readers. ...

Captain White led Avenger in the Falklands War surviving an attack by an Exocet missile which it shot out of the sky with the 4. 5 inch mark 8 gun on the focsle of the ship. Her divers salvaged a 20mm Oerlikon from the wreck of HMS Antelope which was remounted to increase her Anti-Aircraft capability,referred to on board as "Antelopes Avenger". She also assisted with naval gunfire support during the campaign.

Sadly Caravanarfa Captain Hugo White passed away about 6 weeks ago, a remarkable man with a outstanding naval career, I attended his funeral service in Tavistock with other ex Avengers, a true hero of a man.

Sleepyfolk I went in to the Globe on a few occasions, not much else to do in the evenings,

A fellow 21'er Sleepyfolk?

It was a bit more peaceful when I was there! Ambuscade was Falklands Guard Ship in 1992 - great trip, apart from a South Georgia jolly we spent three months alongside with SeaCat issues, Tyne engine change, port Olympus clutch change, had some great R&R time on Weddel island with the RAF and Rapier chaps, the RAF even air dropped us some more beer out of a Hercules when we ran out - those were the days when the MOD really knew how to spend the taxpayers money!

In the junior rates tri service bar at MP you could only buy slabs of beer or martini for some reason, never a stranger sight than Britains finest thousands of miles from home drinking pints of martini and lemonade and chucking half full tins of beer at each other in some sort of inter service battle to see who could take the most hits, then doing a runner when the red caps turned up - happy days.

It was a bit more peaceful when I was there! Ambuscade was Falklands Guard Ship in 1992 - great trip, apart from a South Georgia jolly we spent three months alongside with SeaCat issues, Tyne engine change, port Olympus clutch change, had some great R&R time on Weddel island with the RAF and Rapier chaps, the RAF even air dropped us some more beer out of a Hercules when we ran out - those were the days when the MOD really knew how to spend the taxpayers money!

In the junior rates tri service bar at MP you could only buy slabs of beer or martini for some reason, never a stranger sight than Britains finest thousands of miles from home drinking pints of martini and lemonade and chucking half full tins of beer at each other in some sort of inter service battle to see who could take the most hits, then doing a runner when the red caps turned up - happy days.

Happy days indeed, my only regret was after the fighting we didn't see much of the islands, and what we did see was totally wrecked and In a terrible state left by the Argentines, and I was keen to get home after 3 months of the south Atlantic weather.

There's a 21 club for ex 21 members and a reunion held in Plymouth every year at the RBL in Crownhill.

Cheers

Rob