Clicking Relay In Psu And No Power Problem

Al3x

Hello, first post, and in desperate need of some help and advice please?

Arrived on site with our lunar quasar 546 2010 caravan. First time this season. Everything was working perfectly last time we used it. now as i connected up the electricity I noticed a clicking sound coming from the PSU and no power. After checking further I can see we've got power to some lights, the sockets the heater is on (so at least we're not completely in the dark and cold!!)

When I press the voltage meter, I can see it going up and down with the clicking relay on the PSU. We have no water heater, no main lights, no fridge, no water pump. If all those things are turned off, then the clicking from the relay stops.

Tried connecting to a different hookup, but that's not helped. ..

Really bizarre! Any help greatly appreciated!

Also if I switch on one of the main lights, it also 'pulses' with the clicking relay. So can't be a loose connection. Must be a dodgy relay I'm guessing? Any thoughts? Can these be easily replaced?

Thanks

I suspect a faulty battery. What happens if you disconnect one of the battery leads at the battery?

Discounting the battery or a wiring fault it sounds as if your power supply may be faulty. When the PSU 'sees' a mains input it switches on and powers a relay to connect its 12V output to the van. If it detects a too-heavy load it will disconnect; that's the relay connecting and disconnecting that you can hear.

Tony

:welcome: and I hope you find the fault and keep us informed as to progress.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Thanks, I suspect the battery to be completely flat as we haven't used it for several months. And even if that is the case, it has never been a problem in the last four years. Shouldn't the van be powered from the hookup when connected instead?

The problem isn't resolved if I disconnect one or both leads from the battery.

TonyJover- are you suggesting that the site power supply may be at play here?

Nope. I'm talking about the van's power supply. If the battery is dead then it could have killed that power supply. It doesn't help you now but you should never allow a lead-acid battery to go flat.

Nothing to suggest to fix it quickly, unfortunately.

If you buy a battery charger you could try to charge the battery but I suspect you'll need to buy a battery as well. Then when you are able to get to a service centre you may need a new van PSU.

Is there maybe a mobile service engineer in your area who could come out to you?

Could a flat battery be causing our headaches? Since that's the only thing I can think of that's changed since we last used the van. How can relays break or wires disconnect by themselves?

However I'm sure the battery went flat all previous winter off seasons and has never been a problem on the first night. ..

See my previous post. As you have tried disconnecting the battery that is not the current problem although it could have contributed to it.

Well the good news is that the electrical problem is fixed, the bad news is that I haven't got a good explanation as to why.

We moved pitch (for another reason) and all electricals apart from a few lights started working!!! No idea why and no idea why a few lights are still not working.

Not sure what lesson to learn from this!

. .. no idea why a few lights are still not working

When you find out you may have found the cause of the original problem :)

Glad it's all working.

Tony