Non 4X4 Towcar

colonel

After almost 30 years of towing with a 4x4 I am now thinking, on financial grounds, of going back to towing with a "normal" car. Am I mad?

A Fiat Doblo camper and a Lunar Ariva 2019
grace my drive.

Not at all. If you don't need 4X4 there are lots of excellent 2wd tow cars.

1958 Morris Minor towing 2012 Hobby Landhaus

I towed with a 4x4 for six years and never needed it once.

gone back to 2wd drive now, Cheaper than the same vehicle with 4wd and more economical.

poolebob

Honda CRV Diesel Petrol & No caravan now. :angry:

According to CT's caravan specs, your van has a MTPLM of 1280 implying as a guide, a car of kerbweight of 1500kg.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Consider a half way house, I have an Audi Allroad which is a beefed up A6 estate. Great tow car, good fuel economy but retains the 4 wheel drive. It's incredibly sure footed and situations which would upset fwd or rwd cars don't provoke any protests from the Allroad. Comfort and fuel ecomomy of a normal car, excellent quality, plentiful on the used car market and tows 1800kg without a problem, highly recommended

We always had big 4x4 & big people carriers now we have a smaller car & caravan , driving solo is so much easier , parking now no problem owe car has the same engine & bhp as most of the bigger ford cars & only approx 70kg lighter, have seen them pulling much larger caravan than owes which weighs 1210kg, have read on other forum that they have been towing caravans upto 1400kg but you need to do your own homework. .....pete

We too have downsized to a V70 estate from a 4x4 but towing the same caravan, i thought i would have lost some of the stability but was suprised how good it is! better economy and more comfortable ride.

Volvo XC90 D5 AWD, Lunar Ultima 615,Towing at 62%

You have a second chance at life it's called tomorrow!

We too have downsized to a V70 estate from a 4x4 but towing the same caravan, i thought i would have lost some of the stability but was suprised how good it is! better economy and more comfortable ride.

I too tow with a V70, and can confirm it as a great towcar.

Land Rover Discovery and Conquerer 630

A Vauxhall Zafira, 2007, 1. 9 dti (150), auto has caught my eye.

A Fiat Doblo camper and a Lunar Ariva 2019
grace my drive.

E Class Estate for me - LOADS of power and stable too :)

Edited by ADG

Al.

To me the X-Trail offers the best of both worlds. It's reasonably economical and drives much like a saloon car. Mine delivers around 40 mpg solo and 30 mpg towing, but I believe the newer ones are better. Driving solo I use front-wheel- drive only but when towing I use the auto 4WD setting that brings in four-wheel-drive as and when needed. I've had my 2006 model for five years and I've found it to be very reliable over the 40,000 miles I've done in it.

We fight not for glory, nor for wealth nor honours . ..

but only and alone we fight for freedom,

which no good man surrenders but with his life.

Not at all. If you don't need 4X4 there are lots of excellent 2wd tow cars.

:goodpost: Exactly. .

Defender 90  cruising along with a Coachman Laser 640/4.  :)

I have the perfect 2wd bus and yes people are gob smacked :o when i say its only 2wd but has a jolly good rear diff which locks up when i need it .

I know its not a car but its 2wd and very capable .

post-50503-0-40670600-1407015641_thumb.png

. ....One life, Don't waste it fixing LandRovers .

Ford F350 SUPERDUTY Towing 640 Hobby @ 1%

The Chrysler 300c is a car worth looking at if it has a full service history. Can tow maximum braked weight 2000kg and on a long run will return in excess of 40mpg. Loaded with luxuries and has a reliable engine.

Consider a half way house, I have an Audi Allroad which is a beefed up A6 estate. Great tow car, good fuel economy but retains the 4 wheel drive. It's incredibly sure footed and situations which would upset fwd or rwd cars don't provoke any protests from the Allroad. Comfort and fuel ecomomy of a normal car, excellent quality, plentiful on the used car market and tows 1800kg without a problem, highly recommended

Same here, I went with the Alltrack, 2WD when driving normally and with the Haldex system 4WD when needed. Fuel economy is a bit lower than with the FWD Passat due to being heavier, but that's not too bad when used as a towcar. It can take 90KG nose weight and is not seen as a gas guzzling 4x4.

Compass Corona (Magnum) 524 (2003) -----------VW Passat Alltrack 170 BHP DSG

I changed from a Sorento to the Cee'd SW more than three years ago. It was a Kia Approved Used which means the 7 year warranty started again from when I purchased it at 15 months old. So it's got a warranty 'til it's over 8 years old.

Despite the Cee'd being classified a medium size car the SW has a boot bigger than most large estates and goes and handles well.

The auto has a tow limit of 1300kg, the manual pulls more as does the almost identical Hyundai i30 Tourer automatic.

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

After a few years in 4X4's I swapped backed to saloons.

Economy was one reason but the main reason was solo driving, I just wasn't enjoying driving an SUV.

Cheers

Lee

Yeti 2.0TDi EU6 150 DSG 4X4 L&K, Octavia TSi Manual, Fabia TSi DSG, Swift Challenger.

This year we went from a Disco to an S Max. The S Max is a brilliant Towcar with bags of torque and surprisingly the whole outfit feels a lot more stable. I'm not missing the big fuel bills or constant repair costs.

Just bought a Passat Alltrack. Caravans are getting heavier and cars are getting lighter so I wanted something a little heavier which was not an SUV. I know it will be a bit more thirsty than my previous Golf Estate but my annual mileage is not so great. I have towed for many years with 2WD cars with no problems. 😃

Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he'll tell you. If he doesn't, why humiliate him?

I was going to pick you up on 'Caravans are getting heavier' LL, having seen lots of recent blurb about caravans getting lighter, but I thought I'd better check before rushing to print.

I took the topical Unicorn 3 and compared it to the weights of the U2, noting that I'd not heard any trumpeting from Bailey at the launch that they'd saved gazillions of kg. Lo and behold all the U3s are heavier than the equivalent U2s, Strangely the Cadiz only weighs 1kg more, with the Valencia only 4kg extra, Vigo 10kg, Seville 17kg and Madrid 21kg. The twin axles are a bit worse with the Barca up 34kg, the Cart. 35kg and the Cord. up a thumping 94kg.

So having disproved my theory I looked at my own brand Lunar. There it's a mixed picture, the Quasars have all lost substantial weight between 2012 and 2014:

Ariva -24kg

462 -35kg

534 -45kg

544 -41kg

546 -30kg

BUT

trot to the top of the line Clubman range and the picture isn't so positive:

CK +7kg

ES +7kg

SE -14kg

SB +10kg

SI +20kg

Why the fixed double SE can lose weight and the others not is a mystery and why the sideways double SI puts on more than double the other highest gainer is another. Anyway it seems that the higher up the ranges you go the harder it is for vans to shed weight, or put it another way, the easier it is for them to get heavier.

The nearer you opt for entry level the more the competition to lose weight appears to hot up.

Hi Andy. I've never owned a Lunar so I'm not in a position to give an opinion on anything other than weight, but I have to say that I am impressed by the way that Lunar have kept weights down whilst still incorporating all the modern facilities demanded by today's caravanners.

John. 😃

Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he'll tell you. If he doesn't, why humiliate him?

Hi Andy. I've never owned a Lunar so I'm not in a position to give an opinion on anything other than weight, but I have to say that I am impressed by the way that Lunar have kept weights down whilst still incorporating all the modern facilities demanded by today's caravanners.

John.

Hi John,

It's odd because we've been thinking of changing for a twin single fixed bed and the Quasar 554 comes in at 1350kg MTPLM, whereas the Pursuit 550 is 1374kg and not nearly so nice inside and the Swift Challenger Sport 564 is 1443kg, all over our car's tow limit, but the Lunar is the lightest.

We may opt for a side dinette van instead and there the 524 Quasar's MTPLM is 1310kg this year, but only 1300kg last year. The 524 Swift is 1408kg and the only Bailey with a similar layout is a Unicorn at big prices and weights too.

We're just into our second year with a Quasar and although we've been casting around, we'll probably stick with it, especially as it's kitted out with lots of stuff from the Clubman and Lexon ranges, like ATC, larger Heki, Acrylic panelled kitchen lockers with LED interior lighting, shockers and heavy duty steadies, plus barbecue point. So you sort of get a mini Clubman/Lexon in a Quasar layout and low weight.

Before I bought my first Unicorn I had Lunar Quasar 525, which was a nice enough caravan, but I always thought its low weight was achieved by using lightweight materials, to the extent that I only had to look at it and something would break. I guess you can't have it both ways though.

We fight not for glory, nor for wealth nor honours . ..

but only and alone we fight for freedom,

which no good man surrenders but with his life.