Walkie Talkie

H E L P

I am travelling to Croatia by Car and Caravan with friends who will be in a Camper van, we would like to keep in touch whilst driving and possibly out of sight on one another and wondered whether anyone else can share their experience. We have been looking at Walkie Talkie Radios but they are either too expensive or have rubbish reviews ( we do not wish to use phones)

You must remember they are line of sight, to achieve the range quoted,

often over water. They might also attract attention by looking rather military.

A good phone with sims bought in the countries you are passing through

would possibly have better "over the hill coverage"

I bought a couple of middle of the road priced radios and although it stated 8 Km range, they are pretty useless unless its line of sight. How about the old fashioned CB radios or are they banned now in the UK, they are still on sale here and a few outfits that I know use them or the modern equivalent.

Knaus sudwind 500 TL C4 grand Picasso 2. 0 hdi 138 EGS Exclusive

Going south in Croatia you have to pass through 10k of Bosnia and it can take 2hrs or 2mins. Somtimes they can be particular and may not like military style walkie talkies.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Mobile phones are fine in eurozone. ..but can be expensive outside. A 7min call FROM Red Pennant to our Swiss campsite location this May, cost me £11. 50.

Edited by ericfield

I bought these for the kids and battery life is pretty good. 5 miles or 8Kms, only on line of site but the range is probably more like 2-3 miles on levelish terrain.

http://www. argos. co. uk/static/Product/partNumber/5531086. htm

In a car in any country you will attract attention if seen on a WT. I for one would be taking your Reg No Car Details and calling 5 0, its not the done thing lol :blink:

Not the done thing? What are you talking about? Is a passenger allowed to use such equipment or do you frown on anyone?Why on earth would you be calling anyone to report someone doing nothing wrong? Do you report all the lorry drivers you see?

Not the done thing? What are you talking about? Is a passenger allowed to use such equipment or do you frown on anyone?Why on earth would you be calling anyone to report someone doing nothing wrong? Do you report all the lorry drivers you see?

Look at my avatar my friend, walkie talkie in a car . o no. Never ever seen a lorry driver on one btw. I think you are referring to CB, breaker breaker big buddy.

I actually use the yellow ones, though have black ones as well just need line of sight with all. Now if you need line of sight to anything from a car, cops, military and former military are likely to get twitchy and I only frown on those from the north east lol

This is not a dress rehearsal.

I have a couple of 10km binatones that we use and stay in contact when we are travelling with friends. Good for 2-3 miles comms and never a issue, even when used in France

We have a couple of binatone radios which we use for the kids on site. Tested them once over a mile apart and worked fine

The freqencies are not necessarily legal to use in other countries and may well upset the authorities. Despite the OPs reluctance the only answer is 'mobile phones'.

Enjoy every minute of every day. It doesn't last nearly as long as you'd like, and there's no guarantee of coming this way again.

The freqencies are not necessarily legal to use in other countries and may well upset the authorities. Despite the OPs reluctance the only answer is 'mobile phones'.

Walkie talkies or PMR446 two way radios are legal to use in europe

http://www. walkie-talkie-radio. co. uk/walkie-talkie-international-issues. html

Same as Milky - and as ex military I wouldn't give a damn if I saw a car occupant (except the driver) using a WT, even if it was the driver I would only think what a fool and keep clear of them. I certainly wouldn't be reporting anyone.