Ld Lines - Spain Sailings - Check Your Crossing?

There have been rumours around recently about LD Lines stopping their services between Poole and Spain (Santander or via Gijon) and a recent check on the LD Lines website shows that they are no longer taking bookings on those sailings. This doesn't bode well for those who already booked on those sailings.

If I were booked on one of those sailings I would be checking with LD Lines whether my sailing was about to be cancelled, and what alternatives are offered.

I tried myself a couple of weeks ago and could not book but just thought you could not book a few months in advance.

I think it only went till about September.

Phoned them and left a message to ring back but nothing.

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

It is of course possible that they have not released the winter schedule for this route yet, or for the Gijon-St. Nazaire route which has been running successfully for a few years.

BF have also not released their winter schedule from December yet!

I must admit they are cutting things a bit fine though if they want bookings for October.

BF have also not released their winter schedule from December yet!

I must admit they are cutting things a bit fine though if they want bookings for October.

If they introduce them at the same time as they did last year, they should appear anytime now. I've had my outward crossing booked for end of October for a few months. I'll book March's return when they appear. Two single crossings booked at different times work out at the same total as a return booking.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

They have pulled the plug on the routes after September to Spain.

Dave

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

They have pulled the plug on the routes after September to Spain.

Dave

Which routes, I am only aware at the moment that the Poole - Santander route has been axed, what about Poole - Gijon and St. Nazaire - Gijon.

What is the source of your information I have not found anything on their website. They are still showing sailings up to the 26th and 30th September on these routes.

It was in the Bournemouth Echo yesterday. Will add the link.

http://www. bournemouthecho. co. uk/news/11395899. LD_Lines_to_pull_services_from_Poole___less_than_a_year_after_they_were_introduced/?ref=mr

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

• 2 weeks later...

We are going to Spain with LD Lines on Tuesday its a shame they did not give the service a better chance but I think several factors floor it, the boat they use is to small for that route and there was not enough freight companies using it, freight companies make deals with ferry operates well in advance to get the best rates so many deals would have been done before LD started the route.

We will need to watch Brittney Ferries prices now we are travelling at half their price on Tuesday.

<p>BMW X5 

Which routes, I am only aware at the moment that the Poole - Santander route has been axed, what about Poole - Gijon and St. Nazaire - Gijon.

What is the source of your information I have not found anything on their website. They are still showing sailings up to the 26th and 30th September on these routes.

I cross posted on this yesterday. .....the statement said. ......

LD Lines cancels Poole to Spain routes

A ferry company is stopping its services from Poole to two ports in Spain, cancelling hundreds of bookings.

French firm LD Lines has written to customers saying all trips booked after 7 September to Santander and Gijon had been cancelled.

"Several hundred" affected customers have been booked on rival firm Brittany Ferries, which docks at Portsmouth.

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

This report today in Lloyds Shipping Gazette may have some bearing on the changes in their direct sailing. ..

France’s LD Lines says it will have no choice but to axe its three-times weekly ’Motorways of the Sea’ (MOS) service between Nantes-Saint-Nazaire in France and Gijon, in Spain from mid- September if the public sector subsidies it has benefited from are not prolonged.

Launched in September 2010, the service was a pioneer of sustainable freight transport solutions in taking trucks off some of France’s most congested highwayswith Spain.

But it has enjoyed subsidies of €34 million from the French and Spanish governments and the EU over the past four years. These will end at the beginning of next month.

Speaking from the ro-ro company’s HQ in Paris, LD Lines MD Christophe Santoni told Lloyd’s Loading List. com: “These subsidies have enabled us compete with road freight and the stark truth is that if they are taken away we will be not be able to maintain our rates at current levels . We’ll become more expensive than road and our haulier customer base we’ve built up - load factors on the vessels are 72% - will leave us.”

He said that LD Lines was still hoping to find a solution that would allow the MOS service to continue and was in regular contact with government and EU authorities. “But what is clear is that any solution would have to include public funding, which in the current climate is not going to be easy to negotiate.”

The MOS service is operated using two chartered vessels, the Norman Atlantic and the Norman Asturias and crews have been notified of the likelihood of lay-offs.

Freight customers are being told the service cannot take bookings beyond mid-September.

geoff

• 3 weeks later...

This is an update to previous missive,,But note the Le Havre mention of possible closure of Portsmouth run from end 2014.

France’s LD Lines today withdrew its three-times weekly ’Motorway of the Sea’ (MoS) between Nantes-Saint-Nazaire in France and Gijon, in Spain because it is no longer economically-viable despite high load factors.

Late-August, MD Christophe Santoni warned that the service’s days were numbered if an agreement couldn’t be reached on either prolonging the public subsidies it has benefited from over the past four years and which ended earlier this month or an alternative business plan found.

Launched in September 2010, the service was a pioneer of the MoS sustainable freight transport concept focusing on taking trucks off congested roads.

But without the financial cushion of subsidies it would have posted annual net operating losses of €6 million.
Speaking to Lloyd’s Loading List. com today, he said : The service is suspended. Discussions continue but we remain short of finding solution that would allow a resumption.

Separately, DFDS has announced it has started consultations with French unions about plans to close its Le Havre-Portsmouth ferry service at the end of 2014 due to continued losses.

The daily round-trip service carried 185,000 passengers and 480,000 lane metres of freight in 2013 generating revenues of DKK165 million. It is operated by a time-chartered ro-pax ship, including crew.
The vessel will be returned to its owner, the Seine Maritime Council.

A number of initiatives to improve the route’s financial performance since it was taken over from Louis Dreyfus Armateurs in 2012 have had limited effect, the Danish group revealed.

Given the unsatisfactory financial results, the measures already taken and the new sulphur emission rules coming into force on 1 January 2015, the route does not have a viable future, it added.

Closure of the route will entail redundancy costs for shore staff which are expected to amount to around DKK 15 million.

geoff