Dash Cam

barrychas

Well i be thought long and hard about fixing a dash cam to the windscreen but kept putting it off . ..that is until last weekend convinced me that I can no longer delay the inevitable after witnessing three diabolical acts of aggressive driving.

Which ran a feature on cams, with prices running into the hundreds. So after some long thought about it I realised that I have an old mobile phone and wondered if there was a dashcam app. ...and there is . ..dozens.

So download £2. 50. ..cradle £10. .charger and USB conection £3 and I am sorted . I can report that the setup worked extremely well . ..brilliant HD video . ..5 sections of vid then last section written over as required . ..saving function to memory if involved in an incident and even an option to dial 999 if detecting extreme g forces.

What's not to like.

Well i be thought long and hard about fixing a dash cam to the windscreen but kept putting it off . ..that is until last weekend convinced me that I can no longer delay the inevitable after witnessing three diabolical acts of aggressive driving.

Which ran a feature on cams, with prices running into the hundreds. So after some long thought about it I realised that I have an old mobile phone and wondered if there was a dashcam app. ...and there is . ..dozens.

So download £2. 50. ..cradle £10. .charger and USB conection £3 and I am sorted . I can report that the setup worked extremely well . ..brilliant HD video . ..5 sections of vid then last section written over as required . ..saving function to memory if involved in an incident and even an option to dial 999 if detecting extreme g forces.

What's not to like.

Great tip. What's the app called?

I've had the same thought, I had been watching a dash cam on ebay. ..it was reduced by 75% to £20 then about a week later I had a notification to say it had been further reduced £14, needless to say I snapped it up before the price returned to normal. Just waiting for it to arrive

As both our mobiles are from the Dark Ages, we would require the proper Dashcams and have been looking due to some very stupid drivers on the road, however cannot make up our mind which is best. Ideally one that has a rear camera would be good, but I supposed cost would be a factor and it may be cheaper just to have two separate dashcams.

i bought a mobius cam, very small, about the size of a matchbox. takes very good quality video, had it about a year, very pleased with it.

I've got a Blackvue DR 500 HD, it wasn't cheap, cost £220 about a year ago, I can connect it to my iPhone via the built in wifi, it records in 1080p HD for 10 hours before it starts recording over everything.

It's mounted full time in my truck, but when travelling long distances with the caravan, it's moved onto the car.

Very pleased with it.

Hyundai Santa Fe 2. 2 Premium Auto 2010 - Sterling Eccles Moonstone 2005 - Kampa Ace Air 300 2016

There are loads of apps on Google play for Android phones and plenty on iOS for apple . app shop. .just open them up and you decide . ..some are free and as o said I paid a very small amount for the features

Lidl got one on sale this week, or did have on Thursday, 40 quid.

Edited by donb

2016 Lunar Quasar 554, tugged by Honda CR-V.

Lidl got one on sale this week, or did have on Thursday, 40 quid.

I bought one, the quality is pretty good with Full HD recording although the audio recording is poor

2022 Pilote P696GJ for European touring-  2022 Coachman VIP 565 for touring the UK towed by a 2020 Kia Sportage GT line S

I have one of these and am very pleased with it. ....

Volvo XC60 & Hobby Premium 540efu

BlackVue WiFi Dual Channel (1080p front - 720p HD rear) both record onto the one card.

The App will be great, but no i would forget to put it on. .. or phone will be flat. ... or men full. ...

Al.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update for anyone visiting Germany. On Tuesday, a court in Germany ruled that recordings made by a dash cam may be used for personal use only and must not be passed on to a third party, not even the police. That basically rules out the use of a dash cam for use as a means of evidence in court or for insurance purposes.

Edited by Lutz

Just an update for anyone visiting Germany. On Tuesday, a court in Germany ruled that recordings made by a dash cam may be used for personal use only and must not be passed on to a third party, not even the police. That basically rules out the use of a dash cam for use as a means of evidence in court or for insurance purposes.

So if this is true and someone had video evidence of a hit & run fatality. The police couldn't view the footage to gain a prosecution.

Think you'll find any European court would call on such evidence, even if its to settle an insurance dispute. A court has the responsibility to except all relevent evidence to pass judgement.

Edited by Gaz40

So if this is true and someone had video evidence of a hit & run fatality. The police couldn't view the footage to gain a prosecution.

That is correct. The court's decision was made on the basis of a hit and run incident (which fortunately did not, however, involve a fatality). It ruled that the footage from the dash camera is not permissible evidence because other parties not involved in the accident were included in that same film. As they had not given their consent to be in the picture, data protection rights precluded the use of the film as evidence.

That is correct. The court's decision was made on the basis of a hit and run incident (which fortunately did not, however, involve a fatality). It ruled that the footage from the dash camera is not permissible evidence because other parties not involved in the accident were included in that same film. As they had not given their consent to be in the picture, data protection rights precluded the use of the film as evidence.

Nonsense. ......

And you didn't quote my post below.

"Think you'll find any European court would call on such evidence, even if its to settle an insurance dispute. A court has the responsibility to except all relevant evidence to pass judgement"

If you have evidence that can convict, proof or settle a dispute, the court must allow it. If they don't, you can appeal their judgement. Its also very easy to submit video evidence of an incident if it captures other patties not involved. You just proffesionaltly edit the footage to obscure the other folks identities not involved.

Just off to watch any German TV news broadcast, to see if there are any German folks caught on film in the background during any of those broadcasts. :blink:

Edited by Gaz40

Nonsense. ......

And you didn't quote my post below.

"Think you'll find any European court would call on such evidence, even if its to settle an insurance dispute. A court has the responsibility to except all relevant evidence to pass judgement"

If you have evidence that can convict, proof or settle a dispute, the court must allow it. If they don't, you can appeal their judgement. Its also very easy to submit video evidence of an incident if it captures other patties not involved. You just proffesionaltly edit the footage to obscure the other folks identities not involved.

Just off to watch any German TV news broadcast, to see if there are any German folks caught on film in the background during any of those broadcasts. :blink:

I'm sorry but I'm only relating the court's decision. It's not the first time a German court has taken the same stance. The right to withhold personal data takes precedence over all other criteria.

CCTV in Germany is much the same. It is only permissible if adequate warning is given that one may be recorded. It would be rather difficult to warn other road users that you have a dash camera.

It is hardly unlikely that anyone would be able to edit footage to obscure others without professional help from a third party.

In the case of news broadcasts, it is fairly obvious from the presence of the film team and their accompanying broadcasting equipment that one may be filmed and one would have the opportunity to move out of the recording area, if one does not wish to appear in the picture.

Another example. ANPR alone is not considered adequate evidence to convict a driver. It must be accompanied by a photograph in which the face of the driver is recognisable. When the authorities send the summons to the vehicle owner, any other vehicle occupants must be obscured. The case is dropped if the driver is not recognisable.

Edited by Lutz

I'm sorry but I'm only relating the court's decision. It's not the first time a German court has taken the same stance. The right to withhold personal data takes precedence over all other criteria.

CCTV in Germany is much the same. It is only permissible if adequate warning is given that one may be recorded. It would be rather difficult to warn other road users that you have a dash camera.

It is hardly unlikely that anyone would be able to edit footage to obscure others without professional help from a third party.

Another example. ANPR alone is not considered adequate evidence to convict a driver. It must be accompanied by a photograph in which the face of the driver is recognisable. When the authorities send the summons to the vehicle owner, any other vehicle occupants must be obscured. The case is dropped if the driver is not recognisable.

Your stretching it there . ....

Having a video that you owned being edited by an professional would be "personal use" if that image was still retained by the original owner. Usually the problem comes about when the "third party" would use the video commercially or within social media that could slander or tarnish by none association. It would be your right within a European Court to have the any video shown as evidence of guilt, innocence and judgement. If not any court that refused the images to be shown as evidence could be accused of withholding vital evidence and perverting the course of justice, even possibly open to corruption and conspiracy.

Of course any facial image that was not of a definite likeness on any level of offence or crime wouldn't stand a conviction. Though in the UK the registered keeper would receive the fine for the traffic offence from the registration from any image.

Edited by Gaz40

There would be no need to obscure others if the recording was for purely personal use so the issue wouldn't arise if you keep it for your own use.

As the right to withhold personal data is enshrined in the German constitution, I think a European court would have difficulty in overruling a German court's decision on an issue like this.

A bit of research suggests that it is at the judges discretion on whether it is used as evidence.

As dashcams are not "Unfalldatenspeicher" UDS, means the evidence it produces may or may not be used in court.

The privacy thing is related to you posting it on the interweb and a court room is certainly not that ;)

It is not illegal to have or use one so it goes without saying that in the event of an accident it would help the police in deciding who to baton to death :D

H.

Finding things funny since 1968 :blink:

You are correct. It is not illegal to have a dash cam in Germany but, for the reasons already given, the latest court decision ruled that it would be illegal provide the police with any footage recorded. It is true that previous court decisions accepted footage so long as the recordings remained within the court, but on the basis of last week's decision I think the police would be very wary about accepting a dash cam recording as evidence in future.

On a similar vein, there is quite an active movement in Germany to prevent 'black-boxes' from becoming mandatory. Only one car insurance has dared to go ahead with a black-box scheme on a purely voluntary basis, but the acceptance is very low.

Edited by Lutz

There would be no need to obscure others if the recording was for purely personal use so the issue wouldn't arise if you keep it for your own use.

As the right to withhold personal data is enshrined in the German constitution, I think a European court would have difficulty in overruling a German court's decision on an issue like this.

Personal use :blink: . ..... Your obscuring others on the images to present to the court or police for evidence. How can the other parties in the image proof its them (colour of their shoe laces) Just the same as in your post above, with the police not prosecuting from a clear facial image. All of this is irrelevant because this video, photographic evidence would still be allowed in court.

How is a person accidently caught on a image going to know its used in a court and prevent its use and how is a court going to identify the persons accidently caught in the image to uphold any rights. If there's clear evidence the court will use it.

I can understand it if there is a video of a third party giving evidence at the scene, who then changes their minds and doesn't want it used. You cannot use it without that persons permission. Just the same if a person doesn't want to attend a court to give evidence or make statement, but then a court could overrule that persons decision not to give evidence. (Summoned to court)

Germany is Europe :(

A bit of research suggests that it is at the judges discretion on whether it is used as evidence.

As dashcams are not "Unfalldatenspeicher" UDS, means the evidence it produces may or may not be used in court.

The privacy thing is related to you posting it on the interweb and a court room is certainly not that ;)

It is not illegal to have or use one so it goes without saying that in the event of an accident it would help the police in deciding who to baton to death :D

H.

:D :D

And there goes my fantasy of a fraulein with a baton :wub:

Edited by Gaz40

Personal use :blink: . ..... Your obscuring others on the images to present to the court or police for evidence. How can the other parties in the image proof its them (colour of their shoe laces) Just the same as in your post above, with the police not prosecuting from a clear facial image. All of this is irrelevant because this video, photographic evidence would still be allowed in court.

How is a person accidently caught on a image going to know its used in a court and prevent its use and how is a court going to identify the persons accidently caught in the image to uphold any rights. If there's clear evidence the court will use it.

I can understand it if there is a video of a third party giving evidence at the scene, who then changes their minds and doesn't want it used. You cannot use it without that persons permission. Just the same if a person doesn't want to attend a court to give evidence or make statement, but then a court could overrule that persons decision not to give evidence. (Summoned to court)

Germany is Europe :(

As I said right at the beginning, I was only relaying information that caused quite a stir in the news media over here during the last few days and has been subject of much debate even in this country where presumably, same as elsewhere, quite a number of people had been contemplating getting a dash cam in the hope that it could be used as evidence.

Of course, Germany is Europe, but if a court rules that human rights anchored in the German constitution are being compromised, there's nothing that Brussels can do about that.

I'm not trying to justify the court's actions, only to inform the forum of the situation over here.

Edited by Lutz

On holiday this year in France the couple next door to us invited us into their awning to look at a recording of their journey from Calais to the site about 500 miles, is that sad or what ?

Les

Les