Motor Mover

Speedo

watch out there are trolls about.

Mercedes GLC 250d towing a 2015 Bailey Unicorn Valencia

If you need one of these because you cannot back on to a pitch, should you really be allowed to tow on the road?

If you can't post anything more useful than that should you be allowed to post?

knarf

I can reverse my caravan but I use the motor mover because it is cheaper to buy a mover than to replace the clutch.

knarf

I can reverse my caravan, but I use the motor mover because it is cheaper to buy a mover than to replace the clutch.

Honda CRV 2009 & Bailey Pageant Bordeaux S7, 2008

If you need one of these because you cannot back on to a pitch, should you really be allowed to tow on the road?

Your probably right Speedo, if you really need one because you can't reverse on to a pitch then really you shouldn't be in charge of a large trailer on the roads, but people have them fitted ( me included ) because it's easier to site the caravan, less stress on the clutch, to be able to site the caravan in positions not possible using the towcar and a whole load of other reasons why. I think the majority of serious caravanners are able to reverse their van with a certain degree of competence but have a motor mover fitted to make life a little bit easier and stress free.

Compass Corona (Magnum) 524 (2003) -----------VW Passat Alltrack 170 BHP DSG

Perhaps you would be good enough to tell us what car you have (and caravan if you have one), so that we can try and be as perfect as you.

Land Rover is now back towing.

Could you explain to me how you can safely reverse on to a pitch when caravanning alone?

I'm very able to reverse a caravan and tow an outfit much bigger than most, I use a mover because it's safer, more accurate and very convenient. You shouldn't be too quick to judge people

Perhaps you would be good enough to tell us what car you have (and caravan if you have one), so that we can try and be as perfect as you.

I noticed that as well.

Perhaps he could read this http://www. caravantalk. co. uk/community/topic/98138-why-not-put-your-caravan-details-on-here/

Bailey Pageant Series 6 Champagne 2007    Tow Car Toyota Rav4

knarf

Love it !!

Would you try and back a artic onto a pitch surrounded by caravans ? I find very few sites have the space opposite the pitch to reverse.

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

I don't drive in reverse on the road.

Jim.

Jim.

:lol::lol::lol::P

Bailey Pageant Series 6 Champagne 2007    Tow Car Toyota Rav4

Jim.

Have you never towed in Devon :o. Seem to spend more time reversing out of small lanes for lorries than actually going forwards sometimes.

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi

Oh dear I seem to have touched a raw nerve here with some!

My intention was to start a discussion but it appears some people have become very defensive, bordering on aggressive!!

I have just come back from a lovely week in my Sterling Europa 490 (yes I do have a caravan) where I have been watching people site their vans.

Now I am no expert driver, nor HGV trained, but with a bit of concentration I can reverse on to a pitch without too much trouble and get better as my experience builds. I have spent the last week watching people with motor movers mess about wiggling their caravans until they are inch perfect and at right angles to the pitch, taking twice as long as anyone would to back on.

This made me think, if you really need that equipment to get on the pitch, you will never learn the art of reversing. Could this then cause a problem on the road if you needed to reverse to maybe let an ambulance down a narrow road for example?

Just saying!!!

Edited by JanandJay
Offensive word removed

I would partly agree with Speedo in that if you can't reverse a caravan then you should not be on the road. Reversing is part of the B+E test and if you are towing with a B+E under grandfather rights then a maneuvering course is essential unless you have prior experience.

I would also agree with others regarding the efficacy of movers, it may be possible to reverse onto CC & C&CC sites but try reversing onto most Spanish sites or sideways in a hedged pitch.

Oh dear I seem to have touched a raw nerve here with some!

My intention was to start a discussion but it appears some people have become very defensive, bordering on aggressive!!

I have just come back from a lovely week in my Sterling Europa 490 (yes I do have a caravan) where I have been watching people site their vans.

Now I am no expert driver, nor HGV trained, but with a bit of concentration I can reverse on to a pitch without too much trouble and get better as my experience builds. I have spent the last week watching people with motor movers fart about wiggling their caravans until they are inch perfect and at right angles to the pitch, taking twice as long as anyone would to back on.

This made me think, if you really need that equipment to get on the pitch, you will never learn the art of reversing. Could this then cause a problem on the road if you needed to reverse to maybe let an ambulance down a narrow road for example?

Just saying!!!

It was the implication that anyone who uses a motor mover do so because they cannot reverse onto a pitch that provoked the comments.

I have watched people trying to reverse onto a pitch and taking longer than if they had used a motor mover.

The question you should have asked is "if someone is incapable of reversing on to a pitch should they be allowed on to the road?"

poolebob

Honda CRV Diesel Petrol & No caravan now. :angry:

Whilst I agree to a degree with the sentiments of the OP, I personally would not have a caravan without a mover fitted. ..

With the mover I can even tow the van forwards into my driveway, unhitch, move the van and turn it around ready to be towed out. Don't have to break a sweat never mind pull a muscle struggling wth the weight of the van. It would be physically impossible to do that whilst hitched to the car no matter how good the driver was!

Trevor.

Occassionally you see drivers (without any caravans) unable to reverse normally - especially in car parks.

Maybe they should also be banned from driving?

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Some can't drive forward. ..

Lunar Solaris 1 Limited Edition 2007 Hopefully Behind A

BMW 520D MSport Touring. ...

***** Jack of all Trades. ... Master of None *****

If one didn't buy it for the reason given, then the comment does't apply to you.

However, the reason given is far to broad and would need to be better explained or narrowed-down to be of any value.

If the reason for the inability is a failure to comply with the test standards, then the question is valid.

Otherwise, the whole OP demonstrates the well known failure to engage brain before opening mouth and we all know the best way to save face is to keep the bottom part closed.

Edited by Superpete

Pete
Range Rover(s) towing Buccaneer Caravel

Occassionally you see drivers (without any caravans) unable to reverse normally - especially in car parks.

Maybe they should also be banned from driving?

It begs the question, how did they pass a test?

There's an awful lot of them about, a friend of mine has been driving for 40+ years and is clueless about reversing just the car!

It begs the question, how did they pass a test?

There's an awful lot of them about, a friend of mine has been driving for 40+ years and is clueless about reversing just the car!

The majority of drivers on the road would be incapable of passing the current driving test.

I tihink the access in front of the pitch is an important factor. At the Kendal CC site, the access roads are tight, and I would have had a problem reversing in the pitch, also depends on the length of your outfit. I watched a peugeot struggling to get his van reversed in up the bank above us. I felt sorry for his clutch :blush:

It was easy, with the mover and most of all after 8 hours travelling (due to 2 accidents) stress free.

I am contemplating the purchase of a motor mover, not because I am incapable of reversing in fact I have held a HGV now LGV1 licence driving articulated vehicles for over 40 years but no matter how experienced I am or think I am I will still need a mover to park the van at my home address

Dave