Jacking Up Question

Sandpipers

I would like to lift my caravan onto axle stands for the winter layup, but have a problem in that the position it has to be left outside the house means that I cannot get the car into a hitch up position I use the mover to put the caravan into its store position.

I know that the book says you cannot jack up the 'van safely without it being hitched up to the car as it could move. Does anyone have any thoughts on this, and is there a way I can safely use the jack to place the axle stands?

Any thoughts gratefully received.

Brian

I sometimes need to jack my caravan when I can't get the car hitched to the van. I put the jockey wheel into a straight ahead position with the forks entered into the slots, then block the jockey wheel fore and aft with two concrete blocks.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

I just jacked mine up as it stands to put axle stands under it.

Compass Shadow 1988

chock the opposite wheel to the one your lifting. I think to much is made about having to be connected to the car.

macafee2

I think having the reason to have it attached to the car is to stop the van from pivoting which it could easily do depending on how level it all is. If it pivots, it could come of the jack.

Jockey wheel down with a rock or block either side of it rather than fore aft should also prevent a pivot.

It is very likely it will try to pivot unless you know the exact centre point of the weight distribution. I'd say definitely avoid if it's a twin axle, some people reckon it's ok to jack under the axle of a single axle as I've read on other threads, personally I wouldn't as I've had a twin try to move on what appeared to be quite level ground.

It is very likely it will try to pivot unless you know the exact centre point of the weight distribution. I'd say definitely avoid if it's a twin axle, some people reckon it's ok to jack under the axle of a single axle as I've read on other threads, personally I wouldn't as I've had a twin try to move on what appeared to be quite level ground.

Twin axle are easy, they don't spin round on you.

You could leave the motor mover engaged, it could reduce the risk of movement. Still use blocks against the nose wheel.

David

Edited by Seaman

мы приходим невидимый - HM Submarines Conqueror, Churchill, Renown, Onslaught, Ocelot, Porpoise

I guarantee you it did!

Either the jockey wheel was set too high or too low or you must have been on a very steep slope, I have jacked mine up more than once for service work and never had any sign of it turning.

Use a trolley-jack rather than a bottle-jack . . much more stable.

Roughing it . . but in comfort . .