Just Booked First Crossing

Off to La Belle France for some sun!!

Polarity tester, 2 pin adapter, GB stickers etc etc on their way.

What could possibly go wrong. ..................

Don't answer that!

Freelander 2 and Bailey Unicorn Valencia (Classic Edition. ..)

The only problem you will have is that you will enjoy it that much you'll get home and spend all your time planning the next trip !

Have a great, safe holiday.

PS. We are leaving shortly for a few weeks. ..our third trip this year

Dave

Off to La Belle France for some sun!!

Polarity tester, 2 pin adapter, GB stickers etc etc on their way.

What could possibly go wrong. ..................

Don't answer that!

Caravan?

Nothing! You'll have a great time and as said, will spend the last couple of days, planning when to come back!

Alcosticks, hi-viz per person inside car, polarity reversing cable, second mains cable, Michelin road atlas, plenty of top-up on phone, laptop/tablet, headlight adapters, spare bulb kit, breakdown triangle, sat nav with French traffic cameras removed, French dictionary, continental insurance/breakdown cover, personal medical insurance, European Health card, driving licence, - do I need say more?

:-))

Edited by Woodentop

2018 Passat B8 Estate 150GT TDi150 towing a 2018 Bailey Unicorn S4 Seville

Alcosticks, hi-viz per person inside car, polarity reversing cable, second mains cable, Michelin road atlas, plenty of top-up on phone, laptop/tablet, headlight adapters, spare bulb kit, breakdown triangle, sat nav with French traffic cameras removed, French dictionary, continental insurance/breakdown cover, personal medical insurance, European Health card, driving licence, - do I need say more?

:-))

A useful list - many thanks. Up to date with all that plus GB stickers.

Caravan?

Yes, caravan, Unicorn Valencia S1. Planning to take 2 days to/from Lot et Garonne from East Anglia via Calais.

Between Monflanquin and Monpazier. Not making any bookings though - if the weather's good we'll stick around but we're prepared to move on if we need to find things to entertain us.

That's the best way - go where you please, when you please. Our friends, on holiday at the moment, started in Sancerre, moved down to the Gorges du Tarn, then near LaGrasse in the Aude, and are now at Tulle in the Dordogne. They're teachers and holiday each year at this time, without booking anything!

Between Monflanquin and Monpazier. Not making any bookings though - if the weather's good we'll stick around but we're prepared to move on if we need to find things to entertain us.

Clothed or 'unclothed' site?

We've spent a fair bit of time around there this year house hunting. We use the storage at the 'unclothed' site and stay at the quieter clothed site. The weather has been warm and sunny with a few storms.

Clothed or 'unclothed' site?

We've spent a fair bit of time around there this year house hunting. We use the storage at the 'unclothed' site and stay at the quieter clothed site. The weather has been warm and sunny with a few storms.

We might try both. Or neither. It's been a very long time since we have set off without making firm plans. Feels very liberating to be going off piste.

Hi all,

First timer here - any tips for which ferry co to use. Likely to use Dover/Calais or Portsmouth/St Malo. Towing caravan!

It depends on your priorities. Dover/Calais is always cheapest, but if you've got a site on the west coast or Brittany then one of the western Channel crossings would be more sensible, though costlier.

If you don't have a site booked then Dover/Calais definitely. For us the big advantage is that if you're delayed by traffic there's always another sailing in about an hour.

Many of us don't book sites, and a short crossing gives you the flexibility to head off in whatever direction you fancy - east, west, south, and even north to Holland.

If you're thinking of next year, then there are often offers at the NEC Caravan show in October for Dover/Calais/Dunkerque crossings with DFDS and until this year you could book a car and caravan crossing for £58 return in low season and £78 return in high season, using that offer. This year's offer (perhaps because of the DDay and WW1 anniversaries) was not as good but I'm sure many of us are waiting to see what the offer for 2015 will be. You don't have to attend the NEC to take advantage - the code giving you the discount is 'shared' on forums such as this one.

We stayed on a lovely site in May 2008 in the area that you intend going near Montflanquin. It was called Fontaine Du Roc and was in the ACSI scheme. It was out in the country between Biron and Villareal and was run by a young Dutch lady and had previously been run by her parents. The facilities were immaculate and we were almost the only people on the site and liked the area so much that we stayed 8 nights which is very unusual for us. There was a large swimming pool but was only being used by frogs, or they might have been toads, as the pool was not yet open for the season. It is very rural, on the crest of a hill with good views and a short drive from any nearby villages but pre-ordered bread was delivered early in the morning.

Not sure what it will be like in August but thought that I would mention it when you start to look for somewhere to stay. There were lots of delightful old 'bastide' towns to visit and we went as far as the Prune museum at Granges sur Lot for a fascinating afternoon visit, going via a trip around Villeneuve sur Lot.

We stayed on a lovely site in May 2008 in the area that you intend going near Montflanquin. It was called Fontaine Du Roc and was in the ACSI scheme. It was out in the country between Biron and Villareal and was run by a young Dutch lady and had previously been run by her parents. The facilities were immaculate and we were almost the only people on the site and liked the area so much that we stayed 8 nights which is very unusual for us. There was a large swimming pool but was only being used by frogs, or they might have been toads, as the pool was not yet open for the season. It is very rural, on the crest of a hill with good views and a short drive from any nearby villages but pre-ordered bread was delivered early in the morning.

Not sure what it will be like in August but thought that I would mention it when you start to look for somewhere to stay. There were lots of delightful old 'bastide' towns to visit and we went as far as the Prune museum at Granges sur Lot for a fascinating afternoon visit, going via a trip around Villeneuve sur Lot.

It is still as you describe without the frogs, Joanna still runs it single-handedly even though she has two very young boys.

Thanks for the update. I had not spotted that you had already recommended the site when I hit the keys. We went to the area as I wanted to go back to St Cyr hospital in Villeneuf sur Lot to say thank you for my treatment the previous year. I spent 14 nights in hospital where they operated for appendicitis and complications and received marvellous treatment in Care Intensif for 3 days and then over a week in a room on the surgical - medical ward. I added a lot of new vocabulary to my French and the staff were incredibly friendly, polite, professional and hard working and the place was kept immaculately clean and hygienic. We had only stopped in the area to visit friends who retired there and planned to stay a couple of nights on our way to the Pyrenees but that journey had to wait a year.