Has Anyone Done An R V Trip In Usa?

Just wondering if anyone has hired an RV in the USA. We've been planning a trip for a couple of years time admittedly, starting in Seatle & the pacific north west, taking in as many of the places from the TV series Twin Peaks - if any of you remember that classic series from the early 90s - well it's always been one of our favourites.

We then plan to travel down the pacific coast, possibly with a detour via Las Vegas, ending up in San Fransisco.

We are just trying to find as much info as we can at the moment, so wondered if anyone had done an RV trip?

Thanks

Woodie

Edited by Woodie106

I refer you to the Rt Hon Member for the 19th Century.....................pictured just to the left of your screen..................

Freinds of ours did a three week tour in an rv last year, must be good because they haven't shut up about it and are planning to go back ASAP. They covered a fair bit of ground but Yellowstone seemed a particular highlight.

I gather the sites are excellent and very reasonable, they never paid more the 15us and most were 10 dollars, loads of room as you would imagine and they were pleased that they only had to reverse once, I doubt the drive through pitch will be coming to us anytime soon!

Only scare they had was wild camping one night when they couldn't find a site and seeing a lot of animal activity (confirmation indeed that bears do xxxx in the woods apparently) by the van the next morning, could have just been yogi bear and an over active imagination!

It is a personal opinion, but my wife and I are put off the USA due to the immigration process and time, when arriving into the country. Not very welcoming, from what we hear.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

We did it years ago, very enjoyable, distances are huge, vast areas of nothing interspersed with major towns of either 5 inhabitants or x00,000s.

Only argument was with a German family who had taken our pre-booked pitch, the locals around took no notice until he moved off and parked next to a fire hydrant, he was a 'red ' card immediately.

Wild camping was an experience because the national park rangers would come along at 3am, give you a hefty fine and move you on. We stayed awake listening for the first RV to start up then all the others near by also started up and shot off so we did to.

At the campsites when you found your pitch you plugged everything into the 'mains', water, electricity, TV, Waste water, toilet waste etc.

As stated immigration is a nightmare,

Thanks. We know about the immigration thing as my brother & sister in law own a house in Florida - next summers holiday - & he's told us what it's like, but as they go quite often he's used to it now.

We have a few guide books & they all say to avoid wild camping at all cost & to be honest as we will have our son with us who has quite high medical needs, we will have to be within a stones throw of civilisation each night.

We know that medical insurance for him is going to be a nightmare, but there are a couple of places that want to see him if we do go as he has such a rare condition, so they've made noises about covering him if he was there.

I refer you to the Rt Hon Member for the 19th Century.....................pictured just to the left of your screen..................

Hired an RV in Vancouver years ago and spent a week over on Vancouver Island. Went everywhere from Nanaimo up to Courtenay, across to Wickaninnish and down to Victoria and back on a ferry from Swartz Bay through the Gulf Islands. Memorable trip. We used a hire firm called 'Go West' http://www. go-west. com/

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

I believe Lutz did this quite recently - may be worth sending him a PM.

Land Rover is now back towing.

Our wild camping experience was because certain campsites didn't take bookings, were often isolated, therefore it was first come first served so if you arrived in the evening and it was full it was too far to go anywhere else!!

We have done a couple of RV rentals in Canada. I'm pretty sure the RV experience there is the same as it is in the US.

The RV's are slightly bigger (wider) than european models. The ones we hired had aircon units on the roof and quite a larger freezer as well as the fridge. Very comfortable to live in for a couple of weeks.

The biggest surprise we had was during the handover. Everything was very straightforward. The guide though noticed something was missing. Went off to the stores and came back with an axe, saying, you'll be needing this! Once we arrived on our first campsite, all became clear. Each pitch had it's own firepit. One of the chores was to get to the woodpile, fill up the barrow and wheel your night supply of firewood back to your pitch so you could sit round the campfire, just like in Blazing Saddles. ..

As ever with motorhome/RV trips (we've also done rentals in the Alps and Scotland), we've found that careful route planning is essential so that you don't spend large chunks of every day driving. At least 2 nights at each campsite worked for us and we tried to find sites that we're very short distances from whatever attraction it was we were in the area to visit.

We enjoyed both our trips, would like to go back again (and to the Alps, Scotland, Oz, NZ etc etc).

Edited to add:

Our Canada visits were in July and September. On both occasions it was very warm during the day (mid 20's) but the clear nights in the Rockies were very cold. It snowed (wet snow) one morning. Paddling off to the shower blocks through the slush in your flip flops wasn't what we planned for. We ended up with a trip to Walmart for a couple of extra sleeping bags.

Another edit:

The RV's don't use toilet cassettes. They have a grey water tank for waste from sinks and shower and a black water tank for toilet waste. Pitches have drains for both so you can fully plumb in. Advice on how to use the black tank varied: one school of thought said to let it fill up at least halfway before emptying to keep the contents from drying out. The alternative is to keep it on drain so it doesn't fill when you're on site. I guess it depends on what temperatures you encounter. ..

Edited by F70100

Freelander 2 and Bailey Unicorn Valencia (Classic Edition. ..)

We've been four times - the most recent last Autumn when we flew to Denver and visited Yellowstone, Grand Teton the Rockies, and points west in a 3 week trip. Our first 3 trips we used Cruise America but found their vehicles a bit wanting although cheap. This time we used Motris / Camping World, booked through motorhomebookers. com. It was a bit more expensive but a far superior RV - we had a 27-footer which was fine for the 2 of us. Plus there was a shuttle to take ius to / from the airport - American taxis are horrifically expensive.

It's a very different experience to caravanning in Europe - huge distances, driving conditions very different, friendly (although sometimes a bit strange!) people, absolutely stunning scenery (at least in the Rockies / west).

We used National and State Park and Forest Service sites (campgrounds as they call them) exclusively. We've used commercial sites before and hate them - they're generally cramped & crowded and expensive. There's not much to beat sleeping in the forest with a view of the Tetons on a pitch you've paid about $12 for. Admittedly they're not fully serviced but there's no need for it. However, they may be a bit remote for your purposes.

We can thoroughly recommend it although it is not cheap.

Ian.
2013 Freelander 2 SD4 Auto / 2005 Bailey Pageant Vendée; 1952 Norton ES2

You would need to consider fuel now in the US with a RV doing as low as 6 mpg on a long trip. You see a number of US RVs imported with only a few thousand miles and about 6 years old due to them not being affordable to run now.

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

We have just come back from 8 weeks in a rented motorhome from Vancouver, Canada to Newfoundland, with a few detours into the northern USA, and we also had one for 3 weeks over Christmas in Florida. Get in touch with me by email if you want to know something specific.

A word of advice to begin with, though. Select an RV one size larger than the minimum number of berths or else you may feel cramped. Unless you intend to avoid going into any of the busy large cities don't choose one that is too big or else 'downtown' parking will be a nightmare, as we recently found out in Toronto and Boston.

We parked and rided on the edge of Victoria rather than take the RV in there.

BTB I can thoroughly recommend a trip on 'The Canadian'. I did Toronto (known as 'Tronner' in Canada) to Vancouver over three days in a single sleeper compartment. There was a superb shower at the end of the coach, the upstairs viewing lounge, a la carte meals on board and the rear parlour car with free coffee and refreshments. A superb experience and because I travelled at the beginning of November the price was peanuts compared to high season.

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

We've done several trips, including Alaska, the American Rockies out of Denver and Arizona/New Mexico. All were very different and all were wonderful.

If you know about immigration delays then it will be fine - we've never found it a problem apart from being very boring!

Re hiring an RV: look carefully at where you want to go and make sure the beauty spot/pass etc can accommodate the size of vehicle you're considering - we found a couple of places were prohibited for RVs over 25 feet, and of course city parking can be a problem, but most supermarkets have enormous car parks & we just chose the far end. Generally everything is so big over there you shouldn't have a problem - wide lanes on the roads, huge (by British standards) pitches on the RV parks, and many are pull-thrus so you don't have to reverse. As iansoady says, the Forest Service sites are great and very cheap and some have an "Honesty box" for putting your fee in - would never work here! Some have a closet toilet but no other facilities, but with fantastic views or locations. Just use the onboard generator if you need to top up the electricity.

Fuel IS expensive as the RVs don't do many to the gallon but again if you know that, it won't come as a shock.

Another option for hiring is to use a "broker" who rents out real people's RVs for them as opposed to a big firm - we saved a lot over Cruise America prices. The firm we used is no longer operating, but Google the city you want to rent from and then do your research. Ours came fully equipped to the Nth degree including a US mobile phone, for 2/3 the price of the big firms.

We loved all our trips over there - I'm sure you'll enjoy it wherever you go. Our Alaska trip is on the blog link below if you want to have a look.

Follow the link to read of our travels with & without the caravan :- Blog

• 2 months later...

We did Canada, well a bit of it in an RV. A great holiday, but two weeks was not long enough.

Downside was that they only expect you to average 60 miles a day for the hire period. Exceed that and there are charges. There will always be charges unless you don't go far, which is unlikely.

You cannot take the RV into big cities and park up, not that you can't go into them, but the hire companies don't allow it. Evidently there are people who steal RVs!!!! :o

A bit of a read of our trip here: http://inspirebte. yuku. com/topic/379/Tour-of-Canada-well-a-bit-of-it#.VDL0UVewR5E

Bailey Orion News & Information - 

We had 3 weeks Florida over Christmas, starting and finishing in Atlanta (because it was a lot cheaper to rent an RV there instead of in Florida) and 8 weeks in Canada/Northern USA starting in Vancouver, ending in Newfoundland in June/July. In both cases we had an RV from Cruise America/Cruise Canada and were satisfied with their service. We booked unlimited mileage and were very glad we did because we covered over 3000 miles at Christmas and almost 9000 miles during the summer trip. The 25' RV averaged 11mpg.

We had no problems taking the RV into the big cities other than it was difficult to find somewhere to park. In Toronto they wanted $100 for us to park all day near the CN Tower (needless to say we didn't take up the offer) and in Boston we gave up trying to park after cruising around the city centre for an hour or two.

Downside was that they only expect you to average 60 miles a day for the hire period. Exceed that and there are charges. There will always be charges unless you don't go far, which is unlikely.

You cannot take the RV into big cities and park up, not that you can't go into them, but the hire companies don't allow it.

These rules aren't universal - it depends which company you use.

Ian.
2013 Freelander 2 SD4 Auto / 2005 Bailey Pageant Vendée; 1952 Norton ES2

These rules aren't universal - it depends which company you use.

I only used the one, so cannot comment on others. You could well be right though. Maybe worth checking before booking.

We did about 350 kM extra which then cost about another $120 (£60-ish) (Current rate $0. 37 / kM)

Bailey Orion News & Information - 

Yes I have, I bought a new fifth wheel and truck and toured on and off for 7 years, visited nearly all the different states.

It was a while ago before 9/11 things were a lot easier then.

Yes we enjoyed it, would do it again but too old now.

post-49159-0-68600700-1412678633_thumb.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Hello. Have hired twice in last few years, from Los Angeles and from San Francisco. Both holidays enjoyable & no hassle worth the mention at immigration. Booked through motorhomebookers. com each occasion, much cheaper than booking direct. Agree with previous post re Cruiseamerica, first vehicle they offered had 80k miles on clock and looked it in every respect. replaced with 40k model which was OK at best, except fridge u/s more days than working. Think suggested fees of $10 per night may be for National Park sites, some in great positions - often full - but very basic, may or may not have hook-ups, doubt it at $10. woodalls. com quite informative on sites. Las Vegas sites may cost multiple by 3 or 4, or more, of $10 suggested. Vehicle we had from Road Bear was in it's first year and good in just about every respect. We found mpg about 10 achievable. Do consider mileage you will do, this adds substantially to cost. If you do go to Vegas, Monument Valley in Utah is not a lot further, it's a unique place. Yosemite is fabulous but can be difficult to get a pitch, best book in advance if you want to try it. RV Western USA can be a great holiday.

So I cannot comment about the RV side but I travel to the USA several times each and every year east coast and west coast and other than New York immigration is no different to Heathrow where I have also seen horrendous queues. We have used minivans and hotels to cover 3500 miles over 21 days covering California, Nevada, Arizona taking in SF, Tahoe, Yosemitie, Death Valley, Vegas, Grand Canyon, LA and back up pacific highway which are all fantastic in their own right. America offers so much for a range of people and represents huge value. We will do the RV year after next and will have no reservations certainly not letting hearsay immigrations issues spoil things. We have a 17 year old and a 9 year and they equally enjoyed their time over there.

Sunrises and sunsets to die for https://www. dropbox. com/s/t3xi31ximol7e6x/canbera-ca. jpg?dl=0

Edited by rwoodfine

VW Touareg R-Line 245ps Air Suspension, Area View, Bailey Verona