How Do You Leave Your Van When Overnighting On A Ferry?

Daft question and maybe last minute nerves/excitement/daftness before we go to France later on, but was wondering how you leave your van on the ferry when overnighting.

My thoughts were to put alko hitchlock on and disconnect power to the van. Jus wondering if anything else (do you remove the mirrors off the car/apply van handbrake etc)

Thanks

John

I have used the hull to zeebruge ferry a few times . I take wing mirrors off (fold in the car mirrors ) , handbrake on van on, lower jockey wheel (take some of the strain off the hitch if the sea is rough) disconnect electric (just in case) . Sit back and relax and enjoy the ferry.

We just leave the van with handbrake on. Don't even disconnect the electrics. Certainly don't bother with the hitchlock or taking the mirrors off. The van isn't going anywhere. Don't put the alarm on!!!!! :lol:

Edited by Jslocks

Sadly no van anymore but 35 years was a good run

John

we put handbrake on the van,remember to lock the car manually,otherwise if it,s rough you will return to a flat battery.

As the car alarm will be sounding for several hours.

We then take the dog to the kennels,bed him down then drop the bags in the cabin & head to the bar.

Works for us. ;):)

van Bessacar 625 towed by Mercedes M class 3. 2 cdi.

we do 6mths at home (winter) 6mths touring (summer)

Retired & loving it.--------- :D Adventure before Dementia. :P

Hi milkymarsh, on the ferry at the moment on our way to Caen, all l have done is remove ex mirrors, folded the car mirrors in, just pulled the electrics plug out and that's it. Did think about leaving the fridge on gas as it is full but the wife told me to turn it off.

Might see you down Yole.

Wayne

2011 Hyundai Santa Fe towing 2010 Sterling Eccles Coral

Voted Best MPV by Prince Charles

Voted Best Practical Caravan by Old Mother Hubbard :-)

As above but we always turn the fridge off, otherwise the Thetford' LED display keeps flashing - and we were on a 24hr crossing! Just have to remember to jump back in and turn on again before driving off.

Check your car alarm instructions too, as you mustn't fully arm it.

2019 Ford Kuga 2. 0 (150 bhp) AWD Manual and 2022 Coachman Acadia GTS 565.

Hand brake on as it stops the van swaying if its a bit choppy, disconnect the electric cable, the fridge has frozen fruit juice cartons in it to help it keep cold on longer crossings.

Steve

2017 Dethleffs Globus I1 Motorhome.

Hi milkymarsh, on the ferry at the moment on our way to Caen, all l have done is remove ex mirrors, folded the car mirrors in, just pulled the electrics plug out and that's it. Did think about leaving the fridge on gas as it is full but the wife told me to turn it off.

Might see you down Yole.

Wayne

Your wife is quite correct. Running the fridge on gas on a ferry is a definite NONO - in fact the gas bottles should be turned off.

We pull the van into indicated spot and single lock the car and that's it.

if you haven't removed the tow mirrors and you can't fold them in whilst waiting to disembark, the ferry staff will push them in manually which may damage something.

Land Rover is now back towing.

I do the return from Portsmouth to Bilbao/Santander each year. I always pack a couple of one litre cartons of orange well frozen. It keeps the fridge quite cold for 24 hours. Apart from locking the door, I disconnect the 12S&N plugs and apply the handbrake. The towing mirrors fold with the fitted ones. Car is locked manually.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

Hi onewheelonmywagon, all turned off in the end, ran the fridge on gas while I was in the qu for the ferry, froze lots of back bacon, chicken which if I remember is quite pricey and some nice fillet, so it should be OK when arriving on the other side.

2011 Hyundai Santa Fe towing 2010 Sterling Eccles Coral

Voted Best MPV by Prince Charles

Voted Best Practical Caravan by Old Mother Hubbard :-)

As others have said. ...fold mirrors in (car does that for me when it gets locked - even with extension mirrors still fitted) Caravan hadbrake on and disconnect 13 pin plug to save ATC draining battery. Drop overnight bag in cabin and begin the holiday in ernest!

Trevor.

As others have said. ...fold mirrors in (car does that for me when it gets locked - even with extension mirrors still fitted) Caravan hadbrake on and disconnect 13 pin plug to save ATC draining battery. Drop overnight bag in cabin and begin the holiday in ernest!

Exactly what we do :)

We left the electric cable plugged in once and the car did not like it and turned all the lights on after we got on board. Got a call to go to reception and they took me down to my outfit to sort out the problem. Disconnected the cable and had no more problems - so I always do this now.

BMW X6 M50D + Buccaneer Schooner 2017

Don't put the alarm on!!!!! :lol:

Difficult with a keyless entry car! Wouldn't leave it unlocked though.

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

Difficult with a keyless entry car! Wouldn't leave it unlocked though.

Wasn't thinking of the car but the caravan. Good point about the car alarm. We have got a key ignition but no outside locks on our car so I just lock it with the remote. No idea if the alarm goes off on the ferry. Never had a flat battery after a 6 hour crossing.

Sadly no van anymore but 35 years was a good run

John

My car has keyless entry. To lock it I press a button on the door once, to alarm it I press the button twice, not sure if all keyless systems work this way.

One more thing John, I am going to remove the jockey wheel from my Verona as I find it sometimes bottoms on speed ramps and the ferry ramps can be a bit severe. The jockey wheel is outside the A-frame so will come off and go back on easly.

Graeme.

Check that everything is off including alarms, then just lock it and leave it.

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

Handbrake on only.

Geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

Might see you down Yole.

Wayne

I hope the remark about the fridge was a wind up! It is bordering on criminal to leave a naked light on on the car deck.

David

Various vans 78-2019,  currently  Hobby Excellent 540 FU and Mercedes E220 CDI Estate

www. caravan-europe. co. uk

Well. Ferry was fine. Handbrake on, remove electric cable and fold in mirrors was what we did. Amazing what others do.

Just wish I had removed the jockey wheel, not because of the ferry but because of the speed bumps near to the site. Taken a massive chunk out of my new jockey week tyre and also grazed the hook up cable

Well. Ferry was fine. Handbrake on, remove electric cable and fold in mirrors was what we did. Amazing what others do.

Just wish I had removed the jockey wheel, not because of the ferry but because of the speed bumps near to the site. Taken a massive chunk out of my new jockey week tyre and also grazed the hook up cable

Glad yo made it there ok(ish). Did them speed bumps catch you on the corner just before you arrive at La Yole? And i might test folding my mirrors in tomorrow before we leave to see if i can leave the Grand Aeros still attached

Glad yo made it there ok(ish). Did them speed bumps catch you on the corner just before you arrive at La Yole? And i might test folding my mirrors in tomorrow before we leave to see if i can leave the Grand Aeros still attached

Yes it was the speed bump just round the corner. Was doing less then 10mph too.

Left car mirrors on car whilst on ferry. Folding mirrors did the rest for me.

Safe journey tomoz. Btw - pelforth tasting has commenced. ..