Rouen - Pont Mathilde Re-Opens On 26Th August

According to this website the Pont Mathilde in Rouen, subject of so many recent posts about alternative routes, is to re-open on the 26th August 2014.

Mind you, we shall stick to our tried and trusted route alongside the east bank of the Seine, avoiding the Pont Mathilde altogether.

Yeap . .... like you Val . .. we will be using our tried and tested route . ...

Have a good holiday . ...

Cheers

Pete

Mine : Land Rover Defender 90, big, black and shiney.
Polly's : Land Rover Discovery Sport, HSE in Scotia Grey . .......
Towing : A 2011 Coachman Pastiche 545, on the driveway . ....... and now a CT Ninja, too.

What the **** is everybody on all the forums going to talk about now :ph34r:.

If the good people of Rouen knew about the issue this had made in the UK, while they carried on their lives perfectly normally they would be howling with laughter or stunned by disbelief!!

I would like to give a big thank you to ValA for all her helpful posts and information that she has contributed to this subject. :D

Bailey Pageant Series 6 Champagne 2007    Tow Car Toyota Rav4

Yes a second vote of thanks to Val, we used her route and it was "simples"

Going down again on the 24th August and I would have thought Val that you could have persuaded them to open a day earlier !!

Dave

I should have done, Dave, it would have cut down the amount of traffic using 'our' route!

We're heading in that direction on the 24th, too. Keep a look out for a 62 Reg silver Mondeo estate, with Halfords top box, heading alongside the Seine towards Pont de l'Arche. What time is your ferry?

Hi,

We are going down through Rouen on the 15th, what's the alternative route?

Thanks

Volvo XC90 D5 AWD, Lunar Ultima 615,Towing at 62%

You have a second chance at life it's called tomorrow!

Humph, with the bridge open it will take all the fun out of driving through Rouen!!

I really enjoyed driving a new route when the tunnel was closed as well

Edited by MGBGTV8

Now living in Haute Vienne France

Thanks, we are heading for Labenne, near Biarritz.

Hi,

Thanks

I'd do my best NOT to be on the road on the 15th - it's notorious for jams, crashes and bad tempers.

Enjoy every minute of every day. It doesn't last nearly as long as you'd like, and there's no guarantee of coming this way again.

I'd do my best NOT to be on the road on the 15th - it's notorious for jams, crashes and bad tempers.

The 15th is a Friday, it will be relatively quiet, Rouen won't be busy. The 17th (Sunday) on the routes towards Paris will be a nightmare in the afternoon.

Had no choice first day i could go after A level results, kids hay!

Hi,

Thanks

The 15th of August is Assumption Day and is a National holiday, so be prepared for a lot of road closers and diversion's in a lot of towns. Also a lot of shops and business WILL be closed. :(

Bailey Pageant Series 6 Champagne 2007    Tow Car Toyota Rav4

Spoke to a friend last week who came through Rouen solo said the bridge looked ready lights working lines painted signs up just looked like they just needed to remove the barriers, perhaps they are just waiting for the mayor to finish his lunch so they can have a grand opening. ...pete

If the good people of Rouen knew about the issue this had made in the UK, while they carried on their lives perfectly normally they would be howling with laughter or stunned by disbelief!!

It made quite few column inches in the Rouen area as well. Anyone living and/or working in the area will have been affected by the closure, diversions and subsequent road works and hardly commuted 'normally over the last year or so.

Google 'Pont Mathilde' produces 39 entries in the first four pages and it goes on for a lot more.

' *what*' (Wisdom Through Forums ;) ) is because the subject is of interest to those who use the route through/around Rouen for an annual holiday trip. Regular users of the route will have planned accordingly and updated the information for others.

Edit: "What the **** " in post 3 gets passed without comment but W Tee F gets modified. ........ :rolleyes:

Edited by beejay

I should have done, Dave, it would have cut down the amount of traffic using 'our' route!

We're heading in that direction on the 24th, too. Keep a look out for a 62 Reg silver Mondeo estate, with Halfords top box, heading alongside the Seine towards Pont de l'Arche. What time is your ferry?

We are on the 12. 05 P&O to Calais, will overnight at St Claire at Neufchâtel en Bray and around Rouen on the 25th on our way to Vendee initially

So are we! I'll be the one with a red rose between my teeth, and carrying a copy of the Daily Telegraph! See you there! However, we may just try to get an earlier ferry - all depends on the timing from home, via son's in London!

So are we! I'll be the one with a red rose between my teeth, and carrying a copy of the Daily Telegraph! See you there! However, we may just try to get an earlier ferry - all depends on the timing from home, via son's in London!

So I guess I have to approach you and say some sort of code word like " Ee bye gum lass ows your Alko Chassis" although on second thoughts I could get arrested if there just happen to be 2 ladies with a red rose and telegraph and I pick the wrong one!

Dave