Whats This Switch For ? Elddis Mistral Ex2000 2-Birth

whatshisname

Hi, Can anyone tell me what the (240v type) switch is for thats on the drinks locker side. It's to the right of the BIG TALL window low down . Its a bit hidden by the right hand curtain of the BIG window.

I would guess it's a light switch to switch the lights / light when laid down in bed ?

It doesn't do anything on my caravan so before I look into it, it would be handy to know what it does.

Any help is much appreciated

Thanks

post-69023-0-38206100-1406882897_thumb.jpg

Something like that in my Coachman . . turns on a floor-level light (12v) for the trip to the loo . . but if you can't find your way in the dark your proprioception is adrift anyway.

Roughing it . . but in comfort . .

Something like that in my Coachman . . turns on a floor-level light (12v) for the trip to the loo . . but if you can't find your way in the dark your proprioception is adrift anyway.

Thanks for that @Disco Kid. I will take a look for a low level light but havn't seen anything in my many adventures fixing this n that.

Is it a light switch for your drinks cabinet. Our drinks cabinet has a light but no switch so is on all the time when the ceiling light at that end of the van is on

We have a similar switch but ours is for an outside light for the step so really i am saying your mystery switch could be for anything

Live life to the full you are a long time dead

Is it a light switch for your drinks cabinet. Our drinks cabinet has a light but no switch so is on all the time when the ceiling light at that end of the van is on

We have a similar switch but ours is for an outside light for the step so really i am saying your mystery switch could be for anything

Hi Kat girl,

Nope, thought of that and looked inside, theres no light in the cupboard.

thanks anyway

ps . I was hoping it was a "fix it switch" flick it and all the faults . ... blinds, windows, door catches, leaks etc, all got magic fixed :excl:

ps . I was hoping it was a "fix it switch" flick it and all the faults . ... blinds, windows, door catches, leaks etc, all got magic fixed :excl:

ooh if it turns out to be a fix it switch you could make zillions if you patent it

Live life to the full you are a long time dead

Hi, Can anyone tell me what the (240v type) switch is for thats on the drinks locker side. It's to the right of the BIG TALL window low down . Its a bit hidden by the right hand curtain of the BIG window.

I would guess it's a light switch to switch the lights / light when laid down in bed ?

It doesn't do anything on my caravan so before I look into it, it would be handy to know what it does.

Any help is much appreciated

Thanks

Whatshisname,

First off, chances are it's 12v not 240v.

And from what I remember of our old Mistral, it's the wrong end of the bed for a 2-way bedside switch.

I'd be tempted to look in the cupboard behind the switch and follow the wires.

John

PS . .. Just out of interest - is there a funny little cupboard in the 'skirting board' just out of shot at the bottom of your photo which appears to have no use whatsoever?

Edited by Johnaldo

I have known caravans that have a lighting master switch just like this.

The idea is you turn on the lights you want just before you go out, then switch off this "master switch".

Whe you come back after dark, you open the door and switch it back on and voila, you can step into the 'van wiithout tripping over every thing.

A very crude approximation of domestic two way switching, but not, of course, truly two way.

Ssangyong Korando Sports SX / Adria Altea 472DS Eden

Not heard of this 'master switch' idea, bspks . ... but having had a Mistral, I know that this switch is fitted almost as far from the door as possible, so I doubt if that's what it is.

John

Whatshisname,

First off, chances are it's 12v not 240v.

And from what I remember of our old Mistral, it's the wrong end of the bed for a 2-way bedside switch.

I'd be tempted to look in the cupboard behind the switch and follow the wires.

John

PS . .. Just out of interest - is there a funny little cupboard in the 'skirting board' just out of shot at the bottom of your photo which appears to have no use whatsoever?

Thanks John.

I don't see anything that would dictate which end of the bed ( ie which direction one sleeps ) your head goes ? ( other than this switch ) . I am curious now as to why you say " its the wrong end of the bed ?

I have not used the caravan yet and will let my commanding officer decide which way she prefers,

I have looked in the cupboard. Theres no light and no wires. the wires from the switch are inside the wood . By angling my view I can see they go into the caravan sidewall then up .

there is no funny little cupboard

cheers Ken

Not heard of this 'master switch' idea, bspks . ... but having had a Mistral, I know that this switch is fitted almost as far from the door as possible, so I doubt if that's what it is.

John

Correct, Its opposite corner far from the door.

It's not something I will struggle with. I can find what its for with a bit of testing with a multimeter and some logic.

I was just wondering if someone knew exactly what it was before I start messing .

thanks . . Ken

Thanks John.

I don't see anything that would dictate which end of the bed ( ie which direction one sleeps ) your head goes ? ( other than this switch ) . I am curious now as to why you say " its the wrong end of the bed ?

I have not used the caravan yet and will let my commanding officer decide which way she prefers,

I have looked in the cupboard. Theres no light and no wires. the wires from the switch are inside the wood . By angling my view I can see they go into the caravan sidewall then up .

there is no funny little cupboard

cheers Ken

Ken,

My van had a 'headboard' (well, a bit of plywood offset from the wall, which you can just make out in the attached picture) at the opposite end to the big window . .. and that long window really stops you having your head at that end anyway . .. plus the extra bit of 'sofa' gives you a bit more pillow room.

If the wires go into the sidewall it sounds like a factory fitting, rather than an afterthought. See if you can get hold of a wiring diagram.

You can also just see the funny little cupboard in the picture.

John.

post-42316-0-35889300-1407015444_thumb.jpg

Edited by Johnaldo

Ken,

My van had a 'headboard' (well, a bit of plywood offset from the wall, which you can just make out in the attached picture) at the opposite end to the big window . .. and that long window really stops you having your head at that end anyway . .. plus the extra bit of 'sofa' gives you a bit more pillow room.

If the wires go into the sidewall it sounds like a factory fitting, rather than an afterthought. See if you can get hold of a wiring diagram.

You can also just see the funny little cupboard in the picture.

John.

attachicon.gifDSC02156. JPG

John,

Nice photo and nice van. I like the seating material . It's better than many that are "chintzy".

I too have that bit of plywood boxing-in but NO cupboard.

I like air when sleeping so it might be that I want my head at the lonbg window end.

Having said that, I always sleep with my feet uncovered, even in winter .

Diabetes means my feet often feel onfire !

It might be that if I sleep the other way I can get that cool feeling on my feet from the window.

I will find out from Sunday night ( sight booked )

I am not really too bothered about that switch.

I am actually an electronics engineer so shouldn't have any problem finding what it's for with a few tests.

For now I have been too busy sorting other niggly problems out and checking things too.

I just thought if I put a quick picture on here and asked, someone might just know SPOT ON.

That would save me a bit oif time tracing it.

Just out of interest . ... My commanding officer and me BOTH looked carefully at the van before we bought it.

We opened all windows, worked all blinds, Opened all cupboards . .. etc etc . We then bought it.

Day after, I started looking round . Found the following >

Catch missing on bathroom mirror. (now fixed)

Door on vanity unit cracked on mountings and doesnt hold on (now fixed)

Fridge not secured (now fixed)

Fridge not working on Gas

One front window is a replacement ( doesnt quite fit the hole ) it's also not trimmed on bottom edge outside.

One blind has a holding clip broken at bottom of track

Big window screen net blind has end lug broken (now fixed)

Blown air heating doesn't work on electric (OK on gas )

Status aerial amplifier light up but no output (now fixed)

12v Awning socket missing from battery locker ( the holes there )

Gas cupboard door out of alignment

Door blind ruttled

Middle front window partially de-laminated.

Sounds like a bit of a list

I have been working through these things and sorted some out.

Theyre not major problems for a 14 year old van .

However, it just goes to show that even with careful looking and checking, you can miss things.

The worst thing we missed was the delaminated front window and I am NOT happy that we didn't see it.

Next time I will check . .. leason learnt.

All of these things would not have stopped me buying the caravan, it's lovely and it was a good price.

cheers Ken

ps. Looking for a FULL awning to fit this caravn if anyone has one as of August 2014 let me know.

I have an identical switch in my abbey, in mine its a master switch for my ceiling lights

Chrissy.

Thanks for that . It does seem logical that that's what it's for . Now I just need to find out why it's not working .