Light Weight Awning

Lisa2701

Hi guys. my hubby and are are very new to caravaning. we bought an old van to get us started and it came with a small awning but what a nightmare to build, I was ill by the end of it and was in agony the next day. I have physical disabilities which means i struggle with any stretching/bending etc, hubby isnt good at building AT ALL and our son has autism so all in all we need something that is quick and easy to erect. I have seen the inflatable ones which are fabulous but i just cant afford £500 for an awning so i've been looking at the lightweight ones. can anyone advice if (a) they are as easy to put up as they appear and (B) which ones are best? thanks :)

We have a sunncamp 390 Aspire for the same reasons - traditional awnings are impossible to put up singly. The Sunncamp is light and goes up pretty easily, and costs about half the price of the inflatable ones.

Yes the Sunn Camp Aspire ones are the ones I've been looking at. Watched a you tube video of it being built, but then I had to wonder how many times the sales guy had built it to make it look so easy hence I wanted to ask people on here how they find them.

There are cheaper versions of the same awning on ebay for £175 with ground sheet. Anyone know if these are any good? I don't want something thats going to fall apart in the first year, I'd rather pay a little extra for the quality but that said I do often wonder if we are just paying for a brand name and theres no point spending extra is the cheaper version is just as good?

Also have a look at the Kampa Rally. We also have been looking around for a lightweight porch awning and have found this one to have the better reviews particularly the Kampa Rally Pro if your prepared to pay a bit more.

Derek + Sharon

Be careful with some of the very cheap 260/390 awnings. We bought a low cost 390 awning at the start of last year for £145. It will probably go in the bin at the end of this year.

Despite being quite careful when erecting/dismantling it, 2 of the windows have cracked/split & have tape over them. I have also had to stitch various bits back together on 4 occasions. We have used it quite a bit over the 2 years - by the end of September we will probably have had over 100 nights usage in it. We will be looking at a more substantial 390 awning to replace it with.

Jim

Lunar Clubman SE Towed by Vauxhall Vivaro containing 6 border collies

Sorry Jim are you referring to the Sunn Camp or Kampa ?

Derek + Sharon

We've had the Kampa Rally Pro 330 which was so easy to put up.

We then bought a Kampa Rally 200 for weekends which can be put up from start to finish in 20 minutes.

Now got a Kampa Rally Pro Air 260 which is just perfection for us.

So yeah, Kampa all the way.

Edited by KimmyandGinge
Hyundai Santa Fe 2. 2 Premium Auto 2010 - Sterling Eccles Moonstone 2005 - Kampa Ace Air 300 2016

Haven't seen the Kampa but I've heard good things; I am very impressed with the quality of the Sunncamp we have though, and my wife enjoys the fact that she doesn't have to help put it up :-)

We have a Kampa Rally 390 (Club version) and pretty easy to do. Quality pretty good and should last better than the cheaper 390 non branded ones we all see for around £150

Kampa one also has adjustable front legs which is useful if pitching across a slope or uneven ground

You also get rear poles, monsoon poles and storm straps for them and aI would recommend all these so you do need to add another £60 or so onto base price

We got an ex display one in the end and saved best part of £100 or so overall

Unless you've tried it, you simply won't understand. .....

Sorry Jim are you referring to the Sunn Camp or Kampa ?

Derek + Sharon

Hi Derek & Sharon,

I was referring to a bunch of generic very lightweight 260/390 awnings which are often sold as "own brand" by a number of retailers.

We actually wrecked ours on Friday night. I was threading the bead through the channel as normal, when all of a sudden it went very light - the carcass of the awning had torn away from the bead. On inspection, the material had worn very thin along the top edge & had just parted company. i don't know if this was due to deterioration caused by UV exposure or what. ....

Jim

Lunar Clubman SE Towed by Vauxhall Vivaro containing 6 border collies