Good Location But Empty?

Im on the next leg of my hols, and now at a site near newquay.

Strange thing is that it is empty.

The pitches are massive, the location is a few mins from all good things. There are some other very good points as well.

But how major are these potential matters for people?

- lane to get here is only suitable for 2. 35m caravan, and single track with few passing places.

- The field has a bit of a gradient (nothing i havent overcome easily)

- The grass cuttings are left on the ground and not collected up.

Id be interested to hear peoples thoughts.

I think the lane would do it for me!

What's the site called, I'll have a look on google maps out of interest?

Edited by sleepyfolk

The pitches are massive, the location is a few mins from all good things. There are some other very good points as well.

- lane to get here is only suitable for 2. 35m caravan, and single track with few passing places.

What facilities are provided and what are the fees ? Is it a CL or a commercial site ?

Yes the lane . ..... Being newish to towing the lane would certainly make me look at other sites nearby.

Derek + Sharon

I dread these narrow approaches, often no passing places, or not enough.

I have met "late leavers" they should go at midday and I wasn't to arrive until 1:00pm

my timing was right I made them reverse as I refused to reverse onto a main road.

I have met the owner in a tractor at my arrival time (stressed over the telephone)

Untrimmed branches scratched my bathroom window badly

Some of these roads are potholed at the edges, just where your wheels ought to go.

I try and avoid these, using Google Earth where possible

A basic CL down a narrow lane with slopey field may not be that popular anywhere even in summer hols

Newquay would attract a lot of families this time of year and most family sites I am sure are pretty full as are the local roads

Unless you've tried it, you simply won't understand. .....

In late June I stayed on a CC site with all the usual facilities about five miles from the above for £16. 80 a night for a party of two. The CL would apparently have charged £10 per night.

However, having looked at the access roads to the above CL on Google Streetview I would suggest that the site which I was on had a far more challenging access route than the CL above.

Narrow lane is a concern due to side of caravan and car being scratched. Gradient not really an issue unless steep. Hate grass cuttings being left on the ground as these get tramped into the caravan and can stain the carpets. Not the sort of site we would like unless there was something exceptional. Now you know why the site is empty! :D

I can't even see site numbers in the caravan club book! Page 190 is up north!

Found it, yes the lane would put me off, I can only imagine how ***** off I would be having to reverse half a mile because some idiot with a twin axle is driving around cart tracks! You have to accept the tractors and milk tankers but not caravaners when it gets to single lanes, we spend enough of our time at 5mph between July and September, lol.

Edited by sleepyfolk

Sounds like a typical British CL to me.

We tried them in the 1970's and shook our heads in disbelief all those years ago, and started going to France instead, where even small farm sites and village municipals have proper approach roads, decent toilets and showers, and these days very often free wi fi as well.

Newquay in the rain on a CL. Have fun.

I can't even see site numbers in the caravan club book! Page 190 is up north!

Found it, yes the lane would put me off, I can only imagine how *auto-deleted* off I would be having to reverse half a mile because some idiot with a twin axle is driving around cart tracks! You have to accept the tractors and milk tankers but not caravaners when it gets to single lanes, we spend enough of our time at 5mph between July and September, lol.

When we arrived we behind another caravan that we had followed for some miles,

obviously going the same way, and as it turned out the same site.

Just as we both saw the sign and started to indicate, the first outfit had to stop half in

and half out of the narrow lane because someone was "going shopping" I was not too

close, so the first chap could reverse out onto the main road but not a very satisfactory

situation in fact I am surprised they got planning permission with such a poor access.

Yes some if them are quite "tucked away" aren't they! Even if I had a smaller van I'd think twice, thank heavens for google street view

Sounds like a typical British CL to me.

Newquay in the rain on a CL. Have fun.

Cheers. Eden project tomorrow, surfing sunday, dairyland monday and get ready to move on tuesday.

Got plenty of stickers, arts and crafts, etc for toddler.

Wife is awesome at cooking and im not at work.

Plenty of routes for some 10k running as well (rain doesnt bother me).

Narrow lane is a concern due to side of caravan and car being scratched. Gradient not really an issue unless steep. Hate grass cuttings being left on the ground as these get tramped into the caravan and can stain the carpets. Not the sort of site we would like unless there was something exceptional. Now you know why the site is empty! :D

Maybe im more tolerant of things and more confident at towing than i thought! Lol.

I have had to reverse a couple of times, and been fine.

But yes, now i have my answer!

Cheers. Eden project tomorrow, surfing sunday, dairyland monday and get ready to move on tuesday.

Got plenty of stickers, arts and crafts, etc for toddler.

Wife is awesome at cooking and im not at work.

Plenty of routes for some 10k running as well (rain doesnt bother me).

Maybe im more tolerant of things and more confident at towing than i thought! Lol.

I have had to reverse a couple of times, and been fine.

But yes, now i have my answer!

Thanks for the heads-up on this site:)

It's exactly the sort of site we always look for - quiet site, just an EHU and a waste dump, part sloping so you can see the scenery, grass pitches

It's going on my list of possibles for when I'm down that way next time :)

Jim

PS Trying to find it on the CC website but they don't give you the site "numbers", can you post the postcode please :)

Edited by JamesF

"keep your motor running"

caravan: Avondale Avocet ( 2006) - tow car: Renault Laguna (2007) - play car: Mercedes 300SL (1988)

If you search the find a CL on the CC website, selecting Cornwall for county and Newquay for town the site's name is Tikembret. The postcode is TR8 5HY.

If you search the find a CL on the CC website, selecting Cornwall for county and Newquay for town the site's name is Tikembret. The postcode is TR8 5HY.

Thanks DeeTee - I did do a search and thought it might be that one -now included on my Bookmarked list of CLs for our next visit to the West Country.

Love this type of site - there are too many "fully facility" and busy BUSY!!! sites around Cornwall and it's great to find a nice quiet one with just an EHU and a view :)

Jim

"keep your motor running"

caravan: Avondale Avocet ( 2006) - tow car: Renault Laguna (2007) - play car: Mercedes 300SL (1988)

Just looked at the road in and the site entrance on street view its almost a motorway by by Cornish standards.

Steve

2017 Dethleffs Globus I1 Motorhome.

Just looked at the road in and the site entrance on street view its almost a motorway by by Cornish standards.

That was my view also. It does not seem to me, possibly due to potentially fewer vehicle movements on the relatively short access road, to be as difficult or hazardous as the access to the CC's Treamble Valley site which has more than 100 pitches. However I haven't been to the site in question though I stayed at Treamble Valley in late June.

Thanks for the heads-up on this site:)

It's exactly the sort of site we always look for - quiet site, just an EHU and a waste dump, part sloping so you can see the scenery, grass pitches

It's going on my list of possibles for when I'm down that way next time :)

Jim

PS Trying to find it on the CC website but they don't give you the site "numbers", can you post the postcode please :)

Weve extended our break here by 3 days.

The pitches are the biggest ive ever used.

My only gripe is that the water point and CDP are at the bottom of the site. Great for us (bottomw pitch) but if youre on the top 3 (esp top 2) it will be a bit of a ball ache.

I have to fill our 250 litres of water every few days. Doing that with just aquarolls would be exhausting.

But otherwise, it is pin drop quiet, beautifully dark night sky and very relaxed.

There is a van with some kids at the top, and due to the size of the site you hardly hear them.

Silverfoxapparently, i wouldn't bother with the eden project, ridiculously expensive for what is basically dozens of restaurants and ice cream vendors glued together by two oversize greenhouses. Very poor show in my opinion. The only thing remotely exciting about the whole place was the zip line and we couldn't even do that because there was a 3 hour wait. I will for certain never be returning!

Silverfoxapparently, i wouldn't bother with the eden project, ridiculously expensive for what is basically dozens of restaurants and ice cream vendors glued together by two oversize greenhouses. Very poor show in my opinion. The only thing remotely exciting about the whole place was the zip line and we couldn't even do that because there was a 3 hour wait. I will for certain never be returning!

Yeah, we discovered this.

Prompt u-turn and refund obtained.

We loved it and will certainly return. Best bit was watching all the people who couldn't cope with the jungle.

Enjoy every minute of every day. It doesn't last nearly as long as you'd like, and there's no guarantee of coming this way again.

Nothing wrong with that access, but it's great that it puts so many others off.

Grass clippings are not something that I think could ever swing a destination either way for me (and the carpet's in good nick despite this blatant casualness).