Servicing And Warranty - Never The Twain Shall Meet

camperlck

Apologies if this isn't the right place for this topic, I wasn't sure where to put it.

I don't think we're meant to name dealers so I won't. My previous dealer would undertake a service and look at warranty issues at the same time. Recently I changed dealers and had a service. I took the caravan in with my usual list of minor issues - some of which they sorted at the service.

However there were a number that they just said were warranty items and I needed to speak to Tom (name changed) but they would pass on the details. When Tom was back from holiday I contacted him fully expecting him to know about the issues and have ordered the relevant parts.

He didn't. Anyway he was helpful and discussed the issues but on one or two stated he might need to see the van before he could order parts. This led to a discussion about how did he need to see it again as his service department had already seen it and they had identified the issue as a warranty issue.

Anyway, my point is that this dealer clearly manages servicing and warranty as two completely separate departments that expect separate appointments / viewings etc. All seems a bit odd to me as each trip is an inconvenience for the customer. A full round trip, picking the van up from storage, towing it over to the dealer, leaving it there, going back a week later to get it etc. Surely it is better to sort servicing and warranty items at the same time? I get the fact parts need to be ordered so that may require return visits but this operation seems completely independent of each other.

I'm currently trying to give them the benefit of the doubt - this is the way this dealer appears to work so I'll go with it - luckily he's not now needing to see the van either - but it does seem strange to me.

Anyone have anything similar? Do other dealers work this way, or is this a one-off?

Fire. Now there's a hot topic!

I have no experience of this but service is a service they do and charge directly to you.

Warranty work will (or should) involve a third party, namely the manufacturer.

So I would have expected them to be different but twill be interesting to see how other people have fared.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

They are charged differently but should not be dealt with in that way. I have owned three vans since new each with different manufacturers and selling dealers and have never come across this before. Whenever I had servicing or warranty work done (or both at the same time) I only took the van in once and dealt with the same person in the service reception.

It does seem a little odd to me. .. If they want to do a second inspection in the future perhaps you could ask them to do that at your storage facility?

Mark.

Bailey Unicorn 3 Barcelona

Hyundai Santa Fe Premium 7 seater

Whilst many dealers will complete warranty work for people who purchased their van elsewhere, your contract on purchasing the van is with the dealer you bought it from. Any warranty offered by the manufacturer is to be honoured by the dealer as a part of that contract. Your contract is not with the manufacturer, so other dealers are well within their right to refuse to honour it. Likewise, many dealers will try to hide behind the 'its the manufacturers warranty, so we have to get the okay from them to do the work' line. The selling dealer may have to negotiate with the dealer for payment for any warranty work/parts, but in law they alone are responsible for completeing the work as it is a contract between you and them.

Edited by reluctant

Trevor.

Our dealer asks that if we have any warranty work, to let him know a few weeks before the service is due, so he can then order in the parts. That means he can do the service and warranty work in one visit.

On our last trip out I discovered there was a crack to the vanitory unit behind the tap - possibly caused by over tightening tap at manufacture. I rang the dealer who said they would order a new unit under warranty and keep it until our next service if we liked. Although the service is not due until next year the dealer has a separate storage room where all such orders are kept. This seems like a very good system to me - one that is designed to meet the customer's needs rather than the dealers

Is the dealer who serviced your caravan the dealer who supplied it when it was new ?

This topic in Bailey caravans may give you an insight into warranty matters.

No it isn't. This is where it gets interesting because. ..

Whilst many dealers will complete warranty work for people who purchased their van elsewhere, your contract on purchasing the van is with the dealer you bought it from. Any warranty offered by the manufacturer is to be honoured by the dealer as a part of that contract. Your contract is not with the manufacturer, so other dealers are well within their right to refuse to honour it. Likewise, many dealers will try to hide behind the 'its the manufacturers warranty, so we have to get the okay from them to do the work' line. The selling dealer may have to negotiate with the dealer for payment for any warranty work/parts, but in law they alone are responsible for completeing the work as it is a contract between you and them.

I bought the van from one dealer. Almost immediately after was informed the dealer had lost the Coachman franchise. Couldn't sell new vans but could continue to service and do warranty work. 1st service and some warranty work was therefore done by the original dealer.

Then I received a letter from Coachman stating that the original dealer is now no longer able to do warranty work and that we should go to one of two other dealers for warranty work. The new dealer will honour this as long as we switch our servicing too (hence 2nd service done by them).

Interestingly on phoning the first dealer to let them know why I wasn't booking my caravan in with them, they informed me they were now at court with Coachman due to loss of business.

Anyway, in some ways that's an aside - I think the warranty / servicing split at the new dealer is just the way they work - I don't think it is anything to do with my warranty set up. I'll play it their way and see how it pans out.

I think that the fact that you did not purchase from this dealer makes a huge difference. The dealer I bought from also services. If there is a fault I expect him to sort it. If he claims money back from the manufacturer that is not my concern. He has an obligation to me as we have a contract.

Another dealer has no obligation to me. Why should he do the work without getting authorisation from the manufacturer unless I agree to pay him if the manufacturer refuses the warranty claim?

Edited by Easy T

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

An odd one this!

However, I should have thought that as the dealer sold you the van and it came with a warranty as part of the deal, even if he can't do the work and get paid by Coachman, he is still liable to do the work?

Depending on what warranty work is required I would expect them to be able to do some minor work at the same time as a service.

more major stuff may take longer to get a reply from manufacturer and so the carasvan does have to return. there is also the issue of what parts are required and may need to be ordered and the servicing agent does not have the space to store another caravan waiting parts

macafee2

An odd one this!

However, I should have thought that as the dealer sold you the van and it came with a warranty as part of the deal, even if he can't do the work and get paid by Coachman, he is still liable to do the work?

The dealer doing the servicing is not the dealer that sold the OP his 'van!

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

This always brings out the "Your contract is with the dealer you bought it from and its his responsibility to sort it out" comment.

Whilst legally that is correct if another dealer is happy to do the work and the manufacturer is prepared to cover the cost they surely that is the best way forward and involves the least hassle. The only problem I guess with Coachman is that their dealers are few and far between.

And despite what is said manufacturers do have a legal liability to fulfil their warranties wherever the van is bought.

poolebob

Honda CRV Diesel Petrol & No caravan now. :angry:

The dealer doing the servicing is not the dealer that sold the OP his 'van!

Unless I am missing something I don't see how that is relevant to the original post. It might be true that the responsibility to carry out warranty work is with the selling dealer, but the OP doesn't have any issues with getting the new service centre to take on the warranty work.

The question is about how they operate and why the OP has to make a separate booking/trip to the service centre for warranty work to be inspected when it has just been there for a service and the faults were made known to them beforehand. I think the OP is correct to have expected them to inspect the warranty work whilst his van was there for a service so that the claim could be submitted. If it wasn't something simple then yes he would have to bring the van back once claim was approved and any parts were available. However as it stands he could be making three visits. ..

I am not sure why the fact that they are not the selling dealer should make them operate this way. Please correct me if I have missed the point, it wouldn't be the first time :).

Mark.

Edited by Markt1891

Bailey Unicorn 3 Barcelona

Hyundai Santa Fe Premium 7 seater

Unless I am missing something I don't see how that is relevant to the original post. It might be true that the responsibility to carry out warranty work is with the selling dealer, but the OP doesn't have any issues with getting the new service centre to take on the warranty work.

The question is about how they operate and why the OP has to make a separate booking/trip to the service centre for warranty work to be inspected when it has just been there for a service and the faults were made known to them beforehand. I think the OP is correct to have expected them to inspect the warranty work whilst his van was there for a service so that the claim could be submitted. If it wasn't something simple then yes he would have to bring the van back once claim was approved and any parts were available. However as it stands he could be making three visits. ..

I am not sure why the fact that they are not the selling dealer should make them operate this way. Please correct me if I have missed the point, it wouldn't be the first time :).

Mark.

No, I think it is me that is daft!!

Perhaps there was a reason - I suppose it might depend on the problems that needed to be rectified.

Alan

:goodpost:

Indeed I think this thread always had the potential to drift off course due to the switching of dealer. However as you stated, I don't currently have any issue with the switch, neither does the new dealer and neither does Coachman.

It was more just a comment on how they operate. To be honest I think some of it was also due to holidays and different people being off that would have worked together had they been in at the same time as my van for its service.

Anyway, I'll wait and see how we get on - it's going back in October for some remedial work.

Thanks all.