Why Not Put Your Caravan Details On Here ?

Doosan

I know this has been mentioned before but today there has been 2 posts asking for help with their caravan but give no information about what caravan they have. So why don't people add this to their profile ? This would save people asking for this information and waiting for the answer.

Is this just an oversight when signing up to the Forum, or are they with holding this for some reason?

I can not see any reason not to put this information on their profile.

Bailey Pageant Series 6 Champagne 2007    Tow Car Toyota Rav4

Agreed but why not go further and make it compulsory? This would give 'us' some really useful data (anonymous) on how many people tow what with what and future polls would then make sense against the backcloth of that data.

'Cos so many don't use it, I tend not to look there - many have it in siggy block.

Edited by SamD

Sam :beardy:

Agreed but why not go further and make it compulsory? This would give 'us' some really useful data (anonymous) on how many people tow what with what and future polls would then make sense against the backcloth of that data.

'Cos so many don't use it, I tend not to look there - many have it in siggy block.

Hi SamD, You say that you agree and should be made compulsory, but you don't have this information in your profile. Is there any reason ? That's what I would like to know :)

As a mod, I sometimes get the urge to add the van or car details to someone's profile - especially when the discussion is on just that.

But I respect people's personal information and resist the urge.

C'mon SamD !!!

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Does it matter whether it's in the profile or on the signature (like mine) ? Can all these new fangled contraptions (smart phones, Ipads etc) see the signature ?

Edited by Shirl250

2007 Bailey Series 5 Senator Arizona (4 berth, rear bathroom, side dinette) towed by a 57 Kia Sorento XS Auto with Kumho KL17 tyres, Reich Mover, Kampa Rally 390, Caravan Tyres : GT Radial Maxmiler CX 185/80 R14 102R.

Hi SamD, You say that you agree and should be made compulsory, but you don't have this information in your profile. Is there any reason ? That's what I would like to know :)

As a mod, I sometimes get the urge to add the van or car details to someone's profile - especially when the discussion is on just that.

C'mon SamD !!!

OK just for you! It was already in the siggy partially hidden under my beard - to be fair to me (!) I had tried before but if you try to edit your profile it refuses the alteration unless you delete the start (http etc) of the URL box - took some figuring!

Sam :beardy:

C'mon SamD !!!

I'm not saying it should be compulsory but could it not be suggested when joining CT that this information helps when you want advice about you caravan? After all why join a caravan forum and not say what caravan you have :blink:

It would help if it was added to the post when we ask questions

eg

I have problem with the grill on my Eldis Avanté 505 year 2003, its a spinflo cooker model number 123456

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

I'm not saying it should be compulsory but could it not be suggested when joining CT that this information helps when you want advice about you caravan? After all why join a caravan forum and not say what caravan you have :blink:

I used to put my tug & trailer details, but when I saw others treating the facility and signature entry as brag sheets, listing the extras and other 'vans and cars, I decided that it was enough, for me, to mention the outfit if it was relevant to the post . .

Edited by Disco Kid

Roughing it . . but in comfort . .

Does it matter whether it's in the profile or on the signature (like mine) ? Can all these new fangled contraptions (smart phones, Ipads etc) see the signature ?

Nope! Or at least it doesn't on Android and Chrome with the mobile view.

Edited by fatgit

After all why join a caravan forum and not say what caravan you have

Simple - I joined to find out about caravans and to ask questions before I spent £20,000. If adding a van became part of the registration process then it would have been a complete work of fiction just to gain access to the site.

However I do agree that it's pointless asking a question without giving sufficient information so that others can then give a positive reply.

Simple - I joined to find out about caravans and to ask questions before I spent £20,000. If adding a van became part of the registration process then it would have been a complete work of fiction just to gain access to the site.

However I do agree that it's pointless asking a question without giving sufficient information so that others can then give a positive reply.

Totally agree you DC, which is why I said that you can't make it compulsory, but when you do take ownership of a caravan then place it in your profile, as this will save repeating yourself every time you need an answer too any problems with your caravan and having people to ask what caravan you have before they can answer your question.

As I stated in my original post that there were 2 post with in half an hour of each other this morning wanting help but had to be asked what caravan they had before they could help.

Yes you can put it into the start of your post so everyone knows, but a lot of posters don't. I hope you can see my point.

The main reason we've not made it compulsory is that quite a few of our new members don't yet have a caravan, some of our members have motorhomes and statics and some are Trade members, who may not have (or want to list) their particular caravan make and model.

But agreed that it would certainly help if new members with a specific caravan related query included it in their profile or signature!

:)

Tim
Developer | Caravan Talk

:goodpost: Beat me to it Ben :)

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

I can see all your signature details on my ipad.

Brian

The main reason we've not made it compulsory is that quite a few of our new members don't yet have a caravan, some of our members have motorhomes and statics and some are Trade members, who may not have (or want to list) their particular caravan make and model.

But agreed that it would certainly help if new members with a specific caravan related query included it in their profile or signature!

:)

In the case where you have no van, you could have an option of, just looking, or not got one yet, or something similar. If you are a trade member, just have trade member. Edited by Marks

Land Rover Discovery and Conquerer 630

In the case where you have no van, you could have an option of, just looking, or not got one yet, or something similar. If you are a trade member, just have trade member.

You already have the option to add any text into the caravan & towcar fields when registering. Likewise you can also add most things to your signature.

Gordon

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

I know this has been mentioned before but today there has been 2 posts asking for help with their caravan but give no information about what caravan they have. So why don't people add this to their profile ? This would save people asking for this information and waiting for the answer.

Is this just an oversight when signing up to the Forum, or are they with holding this for some reason?

I can not see any reason not to put this information on their profile

Get the feeling sometimes that posters dont have a caravan -- just here for the -er-" fun" they can stir up.

Skoda Scout 4x4 pulling a coachman Amara 520/4 at 93%---- when full!

Get the feeling sometimes that posters dont have a caravan -- just here for the -er-" fun" they can stir up.

:lol:;)

On my Nokia Lumia, I cannot see either the left or right hand pane. Just the signature. So in limited to the info I can see at a glance. ..

Lunar Solaris 1 Limited Edition 2007 Hopefully Behind A

BMW 520D MSport Touring. ...

***** Jack of all Trades. ... Master of None *****