Powertouch Classic

F185

Got a nice little job to do this weekend, my new powertouch classic MM arrived this morning all nicely boxed up, I got all the parts out and checked them over and read the instructions. It all looks pretty straight forward and not too difficult for a man of my DIY skill level.

My only worry is the instructions say loosely assemble then raise the whole unit up to the chassis and bolt on which is ok but it's blooming heavy, I've planned to lay it under the van then chock up each side an inch at a time on some off cut planks until it reaches the chassis then bolt on.

Can I ask anyone who's fitted a mover, is this the best way of doing it or is there another way I haven't thought of.

Got to say after looking at all the bits in the box it all looks very well made and solid, can't wait to get stuck in to fitting it, just hope it stays dry.

Cheers

Rob

Edited by F185

Compass Corona (Magnum) 524 (2003) -----------VW Passat Alltrack 170 BHP DSG

Got a nice little job to do this weekend, my new powertouch classic MM arrived this morning all nicely boxed up, I got all the parts out and checked them over and read the instructions. It all looks pretty straight forward and not too difficult for a man of my DIY skill level.

My only worry is the instructions say loosely assemble then raise the whole unit up to the chassis and bolt on which is ok but it's blooming heavy, I've planned to lay it under the van then chock up each side an inch at a time on some off cut planks until it reaches the chassis then bolt on.

Can I ask anyone who's fitted a mover, is this the best way of doing it or is there another way I haven't thought of.

Got to say after looking at all the bits in the box it all looks very well made and solid, can't wait to get stuck in to fitting it, just hope it stays dry.

Cheers

Rob

The method I used was to raise and fit one side and then the other. The chassis clamp is such that it will allow you to do this and not allow the unit to fall off when you are fitting the second side. You should "nip" the clamps so that you can still slide the unit on the chassis to effect the correct gap before tightening fully.

I did, 'though, raise the caravan off the ground and placed axle stands under the axle to give more room for "wriggling"

Pete
Range Rover(s) towing Buccaneer Caravel

I watched the power touch fitter fit mine he did not jack up laid underneath and did one motor at a t time then fitted the cross bar

took hime about 4 hours all told

I also tipped the caravan the most the jockey wheel allowed so the space was as great as practical to work with.

The lifting I did as you plan to do; I got it up 80 odd % of the way both sides, then near 100% to make the bolted clamp one side before attending to the other. Leaving everything loose enough to set the rollers across the tyres and off the tyres.

If doing it again I would push on the motor unit's electrical spade connectors, with cables, and make good the weather seal before starting the installation! A real pig to do when they are in place.

Edited by JTQ

Oh great, just when I'd persuaded myself I didn't need one, along comes a thread about how easy they are to fit :-)

Clearly the caravan gods want me to have one, and I wouldn't want to anger the gods . .. or the wife, who says if I don't buy one she may have to divorce and/or murder me next time we go away in the van!

Look forward to an update on how the fitting went Rob.

Thanks for the advise chaps think I'll take it nice and slow and enjoy my day working on the van, Rael I've put off buying one for years thinking yes they're great but expensive and do I really need one when I can reverse ok, but getting the van on to my drive is a bit of a fiddle manoeuvring between gate posts a tree and a bollard, it's its going to be only a matter of time before I damage the car so I've saved up my pocket money and invested, also I can't have a bumper protector on my new car so bringing the caravan to the car when hitching up will be a weight of my mind.

Ill let you know if it's easy to fit. ...

Cheers

Rob

Compass Corona (Magnum) 524 (2003) -----------VW Passat Alltrack 170 BHP DSG