Replacing An O Ring

bob1982

Hi all. ...

I recently noticed that a very small amount of water is dribbling out of the drain point for the water heater. The screw on the outside of the van is very tight but its still slowly dribbles out. I suspect if I replace the o ring then that would sort it out.

Is this simply a case of unscrewing and drain point. .. letting the water drain out of the water heater and then just removing the existing o ring and putting a new one in and then just tightening up the screw?

Also if I do this how do I refill the tank? Do you just turn the hot water tap on?

are you 100% sure its leaking from there because behind the cover there is a pressure relief valve that are notorious for leaking

Lunar Ultima 540

Honda CRV 2. 2 Diesel

Not really. Looking at the outside of the van it seems to dribble very slowly out but only at the bottom. How would I know if it was something else?

There is no evidence of internal water leaking. It just seems to dribble outside the van. But water dribbles sound like a bad idea so I do wanna sort it.

Edited by bob1982

From your description you have a Carver Cascade water heater.

You will probably find that once you remove the drain plug the O ring and seating are quite heavily contaminated by limescale buidup

Make sure you remove all the limescale and renew the O ring and only tighten enough to stop any water leaking out.

You can check the pressure relief valve to see if that is leaking by removing the 4 screws in the outer cover and taking it off, the PRV is at the top left corner.

Ensure that you have the heating OFF before draining the tank and do NOT switch it back on until the tank is full again, and yes, you just run water through the hot tap until it runs without air in it.

Edited by Brecon

There is a plastic screw above the drain plug to allow the water out faster, if you forget to close this then it will dribble from the drain plug. ....I know this from experience!

O ring only pushes on, get them on ebay cheap.

Edited by Greasychips

The O ring does not need or require any sealant, it should seal effectively without, on a clean seating.

It simply sits around the base of the plug.

The "screw" mentioned in the above posting is not a screw, it is a spring loaded pressure relief valve.

If it is not in the closed position you will soon know about it as water will pour out of it, if it does, a half turn will close it.

Edited by Brecon