Power Drain

online_caravaneer

Does anyone know what is causing this problem please?

We noticed that the water pressure was very low and indeed ground to a halt. The water pump had stopped making a noise so that made me wonder if the pump was broken. On inspection the pump seemed ok. Having scratched my head a bit I decided to read the truma handbook to see if I could find the problem. My lifestyle manager (Sarah) turned the radio on, but it did not come on. So I had a look at the battery meter and found it was flat.

There are no things in the caravan that wholly rely on the battery constantly so the battery should not drain so quickly. The battery is new 100Amp so I know that it's ok.

The strange thing is the water pump will only work when the battery is fully charged, Why is this? we are on a caravan club site with EHO.

So here we are with no water unless I charge the Battery with the on board charging unit . Incidentally I found out to my cost that if you try to use the water pump whilst the battery charger is working, it will blow the motor in the pump causing us to buy a new one. So even with a new water pump we still have the problem.

Another issue with the pump has been it's intermittent switching on for about 5 seconds and then going off at about an average of every 30 minutes.

Again we don't have any appliances running on 12v which could drain the battery.

Thank you for reading.

For a battery to go flat while connect to a EHU it has not been getting a charge . Check your Mains feed to the caravan has not tripped at the bollard or has a loose wire or any trips in the caravan has not tripped. If it's none of those it is possible the power supply charger is dead.

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

Sounds like more than one problem to me. ...

Exact make/model and age of caravan may help identify what kit you have on board. Do you have a multimeter and know how to use one? If yes check the volts on the battery terminals: with all off, with the master DC power on, and finally with the mains on and charger/psu on.

Are you willing to ask fellow campers and or the wardens for help?

If the charger has 'blown up' a water pump hat is very unusual and may indicate excess volts due to a fault with the charger psu?

If the battery doesn't work the pump it suggests a fault with the circuits. ... SOME installs have an in-line fuse to the battery, which may be almost hidden in a wiring loom close to the battery compartment.

The pump cycling on and off is quite common when battery volts get low and the system relies on a 'pressure switch' in the water pipework.

2012 Bailey Pegasus 2 Rimini towed by 2019 Ford Galaxy Titanium X, 2.0 EcoBlue, 8 speed auto.

Just had a similar problem and hopefully fixed!

We have 3 position switch for 12v supply. Car /O/ Van,With the Charger 'ON' and this switch Set to 'O' 12v is supplied to loads direct from transformer. With switch set to Van 12v supply is via battery.

If your charger is working then you will have 12v in 'O' position and your battery indicator will show a full battery.

Our problem was not the charger but loose connections on the back of the charger switch. All sorted by our mobile mechanic who had to drill out rivets to get to it.

One or two things spring to mind, can you post your make and model of caravan and pump then someone with a similar van can help

Another issue with the pump has been it's intermittent switching on for about 5 seconds and then going off at about an average of every 30 minutes.

Hi,

That is a symptom of a leak somewhere in your system, the pressure switch senses a drop in pressure and turns the pump on, pressure is then built up until the leak reduces it again and so on and so on! Check all connections in your water lines, taps as well as your drain valve to your water heater.

Regards

M

Gite and 6 pitch CL type Campsite https://labucaille.com/ Normandie France

The van is a 2004 lunar clubman 475.

I took off the battery to see what stopped working but still kept the EHO. I tested the on site electric feed before doing this. When i tested the van the things which went off were the Fridge even though it was set for 230V and the water pump and the toilet flush.

I then had a look at the PSU. The 25amp fuse inside it was still ok and there were no loose terminals or wires I don't have a multi meter with me so I cannot test anything. My strong feeling is that something has gone wrong either with the new battery of the PSU.

Just a note on the pressure switch. Thanks for your help on this by the way. I have checked as much as I am able to get to. I don't see any leaks and the van is on hard standing so I looked to see if there were any wet patches but none were there. I get the theory behind the loss of pressure and why the swithc would keep coming on. But I have found nothing. I am taking it in to the garage tomorrow to have a service on it. It's been a week of sheer bad luck because the brakes seized on during our journey and the van has to have a new axle fitted, which means our other two holidays are lost as this work will take 4 weeks (Alko on a shutdown) At least the insurance will pay for it, thank goodness.

Just a note on the pressure switch. Thanks for your help on this by the way. I have checked as much as I am able to get to. I don't see any leaks and the van is on hard standing so I looked to see if there were any wet patches but none were there. I get the theory behind the loss of pressure and why the swithc would keep coming on. But I have found nothing. I am taking it in to the garage tomorrow to have a service on it. It's been a week of sheer bad luck because the brakes seized on during our journey and the van has to have a new axle fitted, which means our other two holidays are lost as this work will take 4 weeks (Alko on a shutdown) At least the insurance will pay for it, thank goodness.

Hi,

The other thing to check is the nrv for the hot water outlet from the truma water heater (red elbow) if this has failed then water pressure will be lost through the clear plastic tube and can cause the symptoms you describe. Another thing to consider is the nrv to the water pump inlet, if this has failed then pressure will be lost back through the pump to the water butt and cause the same symptoms.

M

Regards

M

Edited by MDM

Gite and 6 pitch CL type Campsite https://labucaille.com/ Normandie France

I can't understand why the battery charger/psu hasn't been running all the time :unsure: the battery will certainly go flat without it.

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

If the garage can find the answer to the problem l will post it on here. It maybe a while though as it's in the garage for 4 weeks waiting for an Alko axle because the Alko manufacturers are on shut down next week.

I should make sure you take your battery out before it goes in and charge it at home, leave the workshop use one of their old rubbish batteries whilst diagnosing the charger/psu issue

If I take the battery out won't the garage say that It's unable to make a true diagnosis without the scenario being replicated. They may say that there could be a fault with the battery or a possibility of more than one fault . Can you tell me what could likely happen if I did leave it in. The garage I am using is A&E Leisure in Northwich Cheshire. They seem to be a very good garage and have a good reputation.

Yes leave the battery in as this may be the fault. The cycling of the pump turning on and off is normally the nrv (non return valve) and depending what pump is fitted this will determine where the valve is. With a submersible pump that sits in the aquaroll the valve will be in the connector on the van wall and if faulty will leak a tiny amount of water back into the aquaroll so no water loss will be noticed. As for the discharged battery, it sounds like you don't keep the psu on all the time when on mains. Most psu's are designed to be left on for the whole of the holiday but check your owners manual for anything that contradicts this. With the pump cycling on and off this could drain a battery but at 10 seconds an hour or 4 minutes a day this would take weeks to drain a 100 amp/hour battery. It seems something else is draining the battery possibly the fridge or other appliance. If the fridges 12 volt circuit was connected to the van battery via a short in the 12S plug this would drain the van battery quickly but other than that I am at a loss to know the answer.

2004 Citroen C5 2. 0ltr diesel auto VTR and 2011 Bailey Orion 430/4

I just had visions of his new 100ah battery being sat in the workshop for 3 weeks while they faffed around with the axle, by that time it will be dead beyond repair anyway, maybe they are a better workshop than that and I shouldn't be so cynical!