Gas Regulators

BidstonBailey

Message added by CT Advertising,

clesse-320x120.jpg

Hello. We are now on our 4th Truma gas regulator in 10 years, they keep oiling up. Is there a more reliable brand that I can use instead? I've seen an unbranded one on eBay which claims not to oil up. Any thoughts welcomed. Thanks

If you fitted a slightly longer pigtail so there is a loop

lower than the gas bottle valve, wouldn't any oil tend

to collect at the low point

If mine goes again I will Not be giving Truma any more money instead I will fit a Cleese regulator from BES.

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

A Clesse regulator and a stainless hose will help, the gaslow 300 comes with just that and it has a 5 year guarantee http://www. gaslowdirect. com/epages/cyujrhdmmu67. sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/cyujrhdmmu67/Categories/Gaslow_Products/Gaslow_300_Regulator

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

We had to get a new one fitted when my caravan was 1 year old. Was told to always burn the gas off when we left site and having done that since the new one was fitted have not had any bother since ( touch wood!!!) my caravan is 5yr old now. I don't know if the gas left in the pigtail is what causes the problem.

Heather

We had to get a new one fitted when my caravan was 1 year old. Was told to always burn the gas off when we left site and having done that since the new one was fitted have not had any bother since ( touch wood!!!) my caravan is 5yr old now. I don't know if the gas left in the pigtail is what causes the problem.

Heather

I have the pigtails with the handwheels that are quick to undo and require no spanners and I disconnect from the bottles and drop the ends down when not in use . The idea is if any oil in the pipe it will drain and then I reconnect when I use the caravan.

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

Stainless Pigtails here and leave connected; no burn off i. e. do nowt and never had a problem.

Sam :beardy:

I have the pigtails with the handwheels that are quick to undo and require no spanners and I disconnect from the bottles and drop the ends down when not in use . The idea is if any oil in the pipe it will drain and then I reconnect when I use the caravan.

Dave

:goodpost: I do the same, but I do burn off remaining gas first

I carry a Clesse regulator as a spare "just in case" as always expect the Truma to go when it is at the most inconvenient time & place

Alan J

Bailey Pageant S6 Bordeaux Tow Car BMW X5 3. 0D

I've had two truma traumas within 6 months, I have fitted the truma filter when I replaced the last regulator and "touch wood" it has been fine since the filter was fitted, that was last march and it's been in constant use since then.

Someone on here suggested leaving the gas "settle" for an hour or so when arriving on site which I've done as there's no harm in trying, can't say as I've seen any oil in the filter yet.

I think there are some regulators on eBay and the like that claim not to oil up but in fact they are not the right sort of reg for a caravan so be careful what you purchase.

If you fitted a slightly longer pigtail so there is a loop

lower than the gas bottle valve, wouldn't any oil tend

to collect at the low point

I believe there should be no loop, to allow any oil to run straight back into the gas bottle.

Land Rover is now back towing.

I believe there should be no loop, to allow any oil to run straight back into the gas bottle.

As long as there is gas pressure oil will not "run back into the bottle"

it would collect in the bend then when unused and disconnected and

left hanging down it could drain out.

We are away for the first time in our new van now, and last night the smell of gas was so bad I had to disconnect the bottle and open all the windows and door at 11 o'clock at night. Nothing in the van is leaking, and when I opened the front locker the smell nearly knocked my head off. It's a Truma regulator.

Went to 2 chandlers (the first had no gas hose) and they both said the Truma regulators are pants, and either clog up or leak badly!

Solution, I've cut the pipe out of the bottom of the Truma reg, fitted some high pressure gas hose and an old style red regulator to the bottle. It did us for 15 years in the old van without a problem. ....

I would be honoured if you could spare a few pounds to sponsor me.

I am playing in a charity ice hockey match in July in aid of Help For Heroes

Please text STGO94 £2 to 70070 or visit justgiving. com/SteelerGoalie94

If mine goes again I will Not be giving Truma any more money instead I will fit a Cleese regulator from BES.

Dave

Wondered what he did after leaving the Ministry of funny walks !

Edited by david 1220

Skoda Scout 4x4 pulling a coachman Amara 520/4 at 93%---- when full!

Solution, I've cut the pipe out of the bottom of the Truma reg, fitted some high pressure gas hose and an old style red regulator to the bottle. It did us for 15 years in the old van without a problem. ....

Sounds a good idea, but is it legal?

Regards, David
Peugeot 308 GT Premium, 1.5 diesel 2021

Sounds a good idea, but is it legal?

Why wouldn't it be?

I don't mean I have used the old regulator from the old van, the guy that bought it got that with the bottle.

I mean I went to a chandler, bought the hose and the regulator, the same type thousands of people use, and fitted it to my property. I don't see why there would be an issue? There must be tens of thousands of vans out there with these regulators, and they are all fitted the same way. Hose slipped over the copper pipe and fixed with a jubilee clip, regulator at other end with another jubilee clip, and screwed into bottle.

I always used to carry 2 of each (red and blue) to make sure we could get any gas, and have a spare. My spare has been swapped not only on my van, but on other peoples from time to time who's regulator had packed in or they could only get the other gas. Never had anyone say owt? Is there a law we should be aware of you think?

:-)

Edited by Ice Hockey Goalie

The problem is the jets should have been fitted so that they will work on 30mbar pressure (bulkhead regulator) and the air will have been adjusted accordingly. If you've fitted a bottle regulator it will now have 37 mbar pressure.

Please ignore the above if it was a 30mbar regulator :lol:

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

The problem is the jets should have been fitted so that they will work on 30mbar pressure (bulkhead regulator) and the air will have been adjusted accordingly. If you've fitted a bottle regulator it will now have 37 mbar pressure.

Please ignore the above if it was a 30mbar regulator :lol:

It's a good point, and I did think about that. Your right, at the moment it is a standard 37 mBar one, but I'm away, so options were limited. I have already priced a 30 mBar one when I can get it. Or I might talk to my dealer as the van is only 2 months old (to us) so they may replace the Truma, but do I really want another one? Everyone I talk to says they are pants and know to fail :-/