Returned To Tugging

Billywiz

Hi everyone.

We have just returned to caravanning after six years of motor homing.

We get our new van next week now getting excited

Bil

Welcome back to the towing world and welcome to the forum.

I was in my local dealers yesterday and someone else was doing the exact same thing, but he was driving off with no towing mirrors.

Out of interest - what are you reasons for coming back to caravanning ? It all helps in the big picture of things. ... or something. ... ;)

2007 Bailey Series 5 Senator Arizona (4 berth, rear bathroom, side dinette) towed by a 57 Kia Sorento XS Auto with Kumho KL17 tyres, Reich Mover, Kampa Rally 390, Caravan Tyres : GT Radial Maxmiler CX 185/80 R14 102R.

:welcome: To the Forum and to the fold of Caravanning :D

Bailey Pageant Series 6 Champagne 2007    Tow Car Toyota Rav4

:welcome:

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Welcome back to tugging.

Been there myself .

Had caravans for years changed to MH changed back to caravan about 8yrs ago and went out looking for a large tag axle MH again the weekend but nothing big enough so back to the caravan for awhile.

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

I thought a Tag axle was one where you can lift one set of wheels off the ground to save wear on the tyres when they are not required due to a lighter load. Why would you want to do that on a motorhome ? Surely the load won't change. ...... I may be completely wrong though. ....... :)

2007 Bailey Series 5 Senator Arizona (4 berth, rear bathroom, side dinette) towed by a 57 Kia Sorento XS Auto with Kumho KL17 tyres, Reich Mover, Kampa Rally 390, Caravan Tyres : GT Radial Maxmiler CX 185/80 R14 102R.

We changed back from a motorhome to a caravan last year. although our first time out in the caravan was not until April this year, and do be honest would never change back.

We previously had a a 2001 swift 480 which we brought secondhand in 2002, in 2005 I became disabled after a bad accident, and was struggling to get my mobility scooter etc into the car and caravan. Eventually in 2008 we decided to buy a motorhome brilliant, until it came to parking ?, so we brought a car to tow on an A frame, so now we are back to towing but in a reversed role.

Even though we had a big motorhome (autotrail cheynne 660) we found the inside quite crapped compare to our old caravan, the other issue to get in and out of the drives seat with it swizel mount base, plus struggle to fit any form of half decent awning.

We now have a bailey unicorn madrid, loads af space and airey interior, fitting the awning no longer a problem and we can park the car.

No I will never go back and would advise any disabled person to think long and hard before changing to a motorhome.

Edited by Oscarmax

2020 Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4  PHEV and 2016 Swift Conqueror 480 HT

We too went back to a caravan after a period with a motorhome. Agree about them being cramped (ours was quite a big one) but the biggest problem was parking the wretched thing. Tried towing a car but that was worse than towing a caravan. We too would never go back to a motorhome. Surprising how many other people you meet who have made the same expensive mistake! :(

Edited by Jslocks

Sadly no van anymore but 35 years was a good run

John

I thought a Tag axle was one where you can lift one set of wheels off the ground to save wear on the tyres when they are not required due to a lighter load. Why would you want to do that on a motorhome ? Surely the load won't change. ...... I may be completely wrong though. ....... :)

A "Tag" axle is just tagged behind the driven axle to help carry the weight on longer MHs usually over about 26 ft and about 6-7 t Gross .

Dave

We too went back to a caravan after a period with a motorhome. Agree about them being cramped (ours was quite a big one) but the biggest problem was parking the wretched thing. Tried towing a car but that was worse than towing a caravan. We too would never go back to a motorhome. Surprising how many other people you meet who have made the same expensive mistake! :(

An A class has a bit more space as your using the whole length of vehicle to a C class for the same length but they also come with a higher price ticket .

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

Out of interest - what are you reasons for coming back to caravanning ? It all helps in the big picture of things. ... or something. ... ;)

My experience is :

The motorhome is great if you can deal with their use when you reach your site. Usually you would stay for a few nights on your eventual destination (perhaps only one night en route), so you then need either to have alternative transport (bike/public transport/walk/hire car) once on site, or you use the motorhome as a car. That is possible if you have a smaller MH, say up to about 6 metres, as you can use surface car parks easily. Particularly car parks in France at supermarkets. No problem.

But if you have a big MH, that becomes difficult. Some people tow cars, but for me that was not sensible. You may as well have a nice car and tow a caravan. And the extra cost of another taxable vehicle is a consideration.

However. France, Germany etc are very MH friendly. Lots of Aires and dedicated parking in towns/villages. And roads are much quieter than UK roads. So its easy with a MH. Just stop and put the kettle on. You can also "wild" if you are brave enough. Stop any quiet place. But I did not for security fears!

MH's are costly if you buy new/nearly new. Reckon on about £5,000 depreciation a year for a good one (£45k plus) so you need to get good use. Add also maintenance, insurance and it can be very costly. And remember you are driving effectively a commercial vehicle. Most are built on Peugeot Boxer or Mercedes Sprinter bases so its hard suspension.

Caravanning is cheaper (only the car which you also use at home, and lower depreciation on the 'van), no extra vehicle costs although caravan insurance is more expensive than adding a MH to vehicle policy!

Once on site the setting up is more effort than a MH.

MH'ing is very popular. Some great vehicles out there. Caravanning gives you better flexibility once on site and are bigger inside and a lot less cost to buy similar length vehicles. .......It's "horses for courses".

We too went back to a caravan after a period with a motorhome.

This is an interesting topic. I've just returned home having spent a week in Yorkshire, followed by a week in the Lake District, and for the first time ever it seemed to me that motor vans had become the more popular mode of caravanning. See my picture taken at the Caravan Club's Thirsk Racecourse Site.

Personally, I would never consider changing from a towed van. I'm too fond of taking to the country lanes.

post-261-0-16830800-1407059284_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jaydug

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com