Porch Awning Too Far Away From Ground!

greenstick

Hi

We purchased our first caravan 2 months ago, a 1999 Swift Challenger SE 490/5 and love it. As part of the deal, we got a 2nd hand Bradcot 2 panel Porch awning - I think it's the portico + with fancy quick erect alloy poles. It was described as used, but looks almost new.

We can get the awning up (the poles are a breeze to use) but it appears to be too far away from the ground. There's a good 6 inches between the bottom of the canvas (not including the flaps) and the floor.

We think we must be doing something wrong, as all the pictures I can see on a google image search show about 2 inches of gap between the ground and the bottom of the canvas.

Also, are the flaps supposed to tuck under the groundsheet - we've still not figured that out.

If I've not explained that very well, please ask for more detail. Any advise appreciated - we're beginning to think it's the wrong size awning for the van (are they standard sizes?)!

Cheers

Porch awnings can come in a few hights it looks like yours is for a lower caravan

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

Have you got the instructions for erecting if not try the manufacturers website to download some .

Are the poles assembled correct ?

Is there any adjustment in the poles ? Some have a series of holes and the sliding part has a push in button . some have a locking screw to hold the sliding part .

Is the pitch and caravan level?

But caravans are roughly a std height

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

Greenstick,

When I bought my porch awning about 5 years ago I had to be careful regards height . .. if I remember correctly some were 230-240cm, some 240/250cm, etc. So, it sounds like you have a short awning on a tall caravan. I would assume, though, that the front of the awning sits correctly?

As regards the mud-walls . .. it depends where the tie-downs are . .. if they're on the inside then the flaps go outwards, and if they're on the outside then the flaps go inwards and you tuck it under your groundsheet or carpet. (Some 'posh' awnings have both so you can choose).

John

PS a photo or a measurement of the actual height of the awning rail would be useful.

Edited by Johnaldo

Thanks all, it sounds like we've not made any obvious mistakes.

I'm away from the caravan until Friday, and will have flakey internet when I get there, but I will take pictures and measurements and upload them when we return.

To answer some of the above, it is the same height off the ground all the way around.

the pitch and van are level, there's a good few inches of gap all the way around.

I think the flaps are the tuck under type, but because of the height issues they don't tuck properly.

Thanks again, pics to follow after the weekend

You have the poles set too long. Shorten the three (usually) furthest from the van so that the awning touches the ground correctly. Simples!

Enjoy every minute of every day. It doesn't last nearly as long as you'd like, and there's no guarantee of coming this way again.

The height is determined by the distance the awning rail is above the ground at the van side once the van is levelled and shortening the front poles will not help the OP's case as the awning is on level ground, depending on how level and true you want your awning to look.

If the 'material' edge is 6" above the ground at this position not a lot you can do about it, yes you can drop the front poles but then finish with the awning windows running down at an angle which I always think looks poor and it will still be the 6" above the ground against the van.

Now in my case I have the opposite situation where on level ground my Magnum awning material edge nearly touches the ground at the van side but this is on twin axle with slightly smaller wheels than most if not all singles.

I could however improve my situation by running the van up on boards, raising the front poles alone would put an unacceptable run across the side windows and the material would in my case, still be nearly touching the ground at the van side.

Sounds as if it is the awning design to me as I have seen quite a few level awnings of different types with the sides as much above the ground as you have in your case, probably to keep as much mud splashes in heavy rain off the material sides.

Stay safe ~ Griff    :ph34r:

Wheels at the front ~ Green Oval Towing Machine

Wheels at the back ~ 4 of ‘em

Have you contacted the firm who you bought the caravan from and explained the problem, they could have one the correct height.

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

Hi

From the sound of it somebody has explained it earlier, Bradcot did 2 models of Portico, the low model which fitted caravans in-between height of 210cm and 235cm, they also do a model called Portico high which fitted in between 235cm and 250cm, it looks you have a low model, frame is same on both models so altering frame will not help, there is no easy answer to it other than to replace as you cannot realistically make it fit .

Steve

Thanks all, it sounds like we've not made any obvious mistakes.

To answer some of the above, it is the same height off the ground all the way around.

Lower the three front poles until you get the front the height you want at the front.

The sides will then tapper up. (If on slopping ground everything gets messed up)

I thought Bradcot Porticos, I have one, were sold in one height only 230/250cm. but 3 sizes in projection from caravan.

Just a thought do you have correct tyres and wheel size on the caravan?

Regards, David
Peugeot 308 GT Premium, 1.5 diesel 2021

Hi

Bradcot make 4 sizes regarding width, as regards height they did the low version and the high version, the low versions were for vans such as older buccaneers,carlights and Avondale's amongst others, these were vans which had the old style boat shaped roofs where the awning channels were low down the side of the caravan

Hope this helps

Therefore OP has the correct size and that's just how it fits?

No I think the OP has the wrong size, he has the low size which fits up to 230cm/235 and the height

from floor up to awning rail will be above 235cm so will need the high version which fits in between 235 and 250,I have had this problem myself .