Tyre Load Rating

Marks

A question for someone who knows, my van, a TA conqueror, had an mtplm of 1761kg and had fitted as per the plate 82 rated tyres, which is 475kg or 1900kg for the 4. I have now upgraded the van to 1800kg mtplm so the tyres have about a 5% safety margin. It's now tyre time, do I pay a load extra for 86 rated tyres or will the 82 rated tyre do, the actual max load on the side of the 82 rated tyre is actually 615kg.

Land Rover Discovery and Conquerer 630

You don't have a 5% safety margin, in reality you have more in that the load rating has its own built in margin. And that load rating will be for the rated speed of the tyre; you in all probability will not be running up to the rated speed so have a further level of margin.

I know there is a school of thought that you should over specify things like tyres but adding margins on margins makes a nonsense of having ratings. They never got to the moon with such an arbitrary slapping margin on margins philosophy.

Have a look at www. tyresafe. org

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

You need some safety margin as the caravan might not weight the same both sides . Mine has a 160kg difference from one side to the other.

MTPLM + 10% is recommended for caravans . 86 is only a xl car tyre and are not much more than a normal car tyre.

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

86 is only a xl car tyre and are not much more than a normal car tyre.

Dave

If they were it would be a no brainer, dependant on the tyre some are approaching twice the price

Land Rover Discovery and Conquerer 630

I paid 51 for Goodyear Duragrips 86 .

Complete fitted and balanced.

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

When you had your MTPLM uprated the builder (sic) should have informed you if a tyre change is needed for the extra load.

Roughing it . . but in comfort . .

My louisiana is sat on 4 x 185/65/14 91/93N, the old trailermax lasted over 5 years with no cracking so went for the same again.

I guess the safety margin is up to personal preference, I thought having a slightly stronger tyre might help if one goes flat and all the weight goes on the remaining tyre until you stop?

If I remember they were c.£320 for all 5 including the local tyre man coming out to remove them,take them off to his workshop to fit and balance and bring them back to fit them, a round trip of 15 miles or so

86 is only a xl car tyre and are not much more than a normal car tyre.

Dave

'Car tyre' , 'XL' , 'extra load' and 'reinforced' are just a generic terms. . Many caravans are fitted with tyres described as 'light truck' ;)

Tyres are rated by load and speed for which pressures should be adjusted to suit the use to which they are put. .

All tyres suitable for caravan use will have speed rating of at least N (140kph/87mph) for maximum load.

Edited by beejay