Satellite Help Wanted

I have set up my sat dish dozens and dozens of times in all countries, I find roughly the direction and sometimes fine tune with my sat finder and always get a good signal.

Last camp site in Bruges had difficulties and I put it down to a very large bank of trees.

Today I am in the UK, no trees get a very strong signal from my sat finder and just occasionally I get a good signal on the TV but it does not last I have double checked all cables and connections, sometimes I get just two grey lines instead of four, but mostly I get nothing.

Could the digi box be at fault, does it take more tuning in the UK, it worked fine at Christmas, in fact all worked fine last week.

The digi box does travel in a locker, perhaps it has broken with the vibration, cannot take it to someone's house as we are in the south and know no one.

Any ideas I could try please.

Thanks

Other campers?

Site wardens/owners?

They may have spare kit to try/swap out for yours? or check the receiver is working.

Other than that a TV or aerial repair shop might be able to assist at a price.

Rough location of where you are staying now may allow nearby forum members to offer assistance?

Also make and model of the sat receiver might help.

2012 Bailey Pegasus 2 Rimini towed by 2019 Ford Galaxy Titanium X, 2.0 EcoBlue, 8 speed auto.

Ask your camping neighbour if you can plug your decoder and Tv into his already set up and working dish system. If it works then its your alignment, cabling or LNB, if it does not the decoder is prime suspect.

Strong signal from a signal finder might simply indicate you're lined up on the wrong satellite!

Find out if your receiver can check for specific channel and select Freesat EPG - make sure the elevation is correct, it's a lot lower in the UK than the continent.

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

I am in Brentwood Essex, I am using a sky plus HD digi box with card, it is possible it is faulty, box but have nowhere to check it, my neighbours on site apear to be mainly Dutch who have a different system.

I wil take it out with me tomorrow and try and get the box tested. Somewhere

The sat finder along withy app on the i pad is pretty accurate. there is one other caravan with a dish but he is not at home I am pointing the same way as him.

Last weekend at the Games, I forgot to peg the tripod down. We got back to the site from Glasgow to find a wind had knocked the tripod over and the LNB and its arm were badly broken.

Ordered a new quad dish, tripod, double cable and sat finder off Amazon for £42 this morning.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Have a look at the system setting page and make sure it is showing the correct network ID of 0002 and that it is showing as locked. The transport code will usually be 07d2 or 07d4 but it may not be as this is transponder dependent.

You say you have a strong signal on your satfinder but what does the Sky box indicate?

My guess is that you signal level will be high but quality will be zero and there will be no net ID, nor transport stream, and no lock. If that is the case you are on Astra 19. 2E. Move your dish left and down a bit (when viewed from behind) until you find the correct signal.

2018 Passat B8 Estate 150GT TDi150 towing a 2018 Bailey Unicorn S4 Seville

I am getting two very good grey lines but cannot get the bottom two, when I switch off the power and back on again they have dispersed,.

I will look at the numbers when I try next, been at it so long it is getting at me a bit, will try again this morning after re siting the dish

Thanks for the info

Just a thought, but have you tried unplugging the sky box from the mains and leaving it for a few minutes before re-connecting?

Sometimes worked for me when I used a sky box many years ago!

Vin Blanc

It is sometimes better to say nothing and be thought a fool, than to speak out and have it proven!

Frontera 3. 2L V6 4x4 tugging Compass Magnum Classic 540 (quite easily!)

Tripod mounted 57cm "Arcon Multi" prime focus dish - Humax Foxsat HD Recorder.

Yes Vic,

Because I set it up even if stopping overnight I have learned most of the tricks but here in the UK where it should be easy cannot get a picture no way, it is possible that as the dish is over a metre is needs to be more precise.

Just getting ready for another go.

Living abroad everything is difficult when having problems here in the UK it should be a peice of cake to get the help I need. Hopefully.

Yes Vic,

here in the UK it should be a piece of cake to get the help I need.

No problem, as long as you stop calling me Vic. :angry:

Vin Blanc :)

It is sometimes better to say nothing and be thought a fool, than to speak out and have it proven!

. If that is the case you are on Astra 19. 2E. Move your dish left and down a bit (when viewed from behind) until you find the correct signal.

It's my guess that the Bopeep is picking up Astra 1.

If he is picking up Astra 1 at 19. 1º in Brentwood the azimuth setting there is 157. 4º mag.

To hit Astra 2 at 28. 2º he needs to pan the dish about 10º further left to 147. 0º mag.

Vin Blanc

I have taken my digi box into a television shop and asked them to try it in place of one of their boxes, this they did and could not receive a signal and that my box was at fault, but I watched the antics and I am not one hundred per cent convinced.

I have tried to contact sky but after ringing about 30 times have had no luck.

Sorry Vin but my I pad auto corrects and I missed the miss spelling.

We will move on in the morning up to the midlands where my son lives hopefully he will have a skybox.

Pity you are nowhere near my place in New Milton.

I keep a sky box set up and working in my caravan which is parked up in the back garden.

Could have tested yours in 5 minutes! C'est la vie!

Vin Blanc

I was trying to get a signal in the midlands, I got what I thought was the correct signal and in the right direction but nothing showing on the TV, a man in the next caravan bought over his sky HD box to try and it worked perfectly, this proved my box was at fault.

Trying to find a digi box repairer in a strange town with no wifi has been difficult but thanks to Mac Donald's, I have taken it to a man who might be able to fix it. Updating and resetting did not work because I have no signal.

Hopefully fingers crossed I will get a call to say it is sorted, if not it is mega bucks for a new box from sky, as it will be a second box.

First off you don't say if thie box is your home box or something else, and you don't say whether you have subscription services or are just using it for FTA?

A replacement box from $ky used to cost about £65, but there is no need to go to that expense. Wander along to your local/nearest Cash Converters and you will be able to get a Sky+HD box for £20 or less with a remote and (usually 30 day) warranty. If you have any premium services (i. e. sports or movies) then you just need to take your box home, connect up, install your card and ring Sky who will activate your card in the new box; if you don't have any premium services then your card should work straight off, but again if not a quick call to Sky will sort it.

If you don't use it for recording then look for a Sky multiroom box which does the same job in terms of reception, but as it does not have the recording capability it is much smaller and takes less power. You should be able to get one from CC for about the same price or less.

Any Sky box will work without a viewing card for FTA services (including HD) but 101 will be BBC London and 103 will be ITV Central West.

Edited by Woodentop

2018 Passat B8 Estate 150GT TDi150 towing a 2018 Bailey Unicorn S4 Seville

Yes the box is from home and I have a viewing card, but I live in Spain which makes things a bit difficult, I have been in touch with sky and they said they will send an engineer, that is not possible as I am in a caravan and not at the address my sky is registered to.
The repair man said it was fried and scrap, I went to a sky stand in a shopping precinct and he was really unhelpful, he was ready to phone the police when I mentioned caravan, phoned sky and had three options all were not suitable for me. Today went to another precinct in the black quarter of Birmingham and the stand was manned by a Pakistani, a most friendly and helpful man he was too, gave me a box for free latest wifi box and knocked £5 off my monthly payments, just had to pay £60 for an engineer delivery, have yet to get round that one.
Trouble is I need the box to get a signal, but will sort all that when new box comes.