Caravan Insurance - Yes Or No

Chillout

It has just occured to me re the number of cars on ourroads which are not insured, one million plus, and I was wondering how many caravans are not insured. Point in question, if someone has a servere problem with a caravan adjacent to yours which results in damage to your van and they are not insured, what are the options? Sue the site owner, claim on your own insurance or sue the owner whose van has caused the problem. Trouble with the last is claiming against the owner of the van could cost you money on top of the damage if he pleads poverty, ie no assets. Unlike some car insurance companies which have a built in cover for claiming against unisured drivers who damage your car. What are your thoughts?

I would expect most if not all on here with caravans of a reasonable value will have insurance cover.

Of course the people you mention with no car insurgence should they have a caravan that will be uninsured too.

Making a claim against others wouldn't the first procedure to claim against your own insurance then that company chase the other party?

Regards, David
Peugeot 308 GT Premium, 1.5 diesel 2021

Your own insurance company should pursue the errant third party for damages, but it would be best to sign up to the legal protection option when insuring your van, as you may want to recover your excess payment.

Land Rover is now back towing.

Forgot to mention I am fully insured. Just thought I would get other views on the subject regarding caravanners with no insurance as I am sure there are some out there.

Forgot to mention I am fully insured. Just thought I would get other views on the subject regarding caravanners with no insurance as I am sure there are some out there.

If I keep this caravan long enough there will be a time I do not insure it because it's value will be such that I would consider it uneconomical.

Regards, David

My wee old thing is insured for just under £70 a year as mst seasonal sites you have to show a copy of your insurance certificate.

Compass Shadow 1988

If I keep this caravan long enough there will be a time I do not insure it because it's value will be such that I would consider it uneconomical.

But, as Chillout implies, if your caravan runs away down hill and collides with other property/persons, you will have no third party liability cover and will have to get your wallet out :o

Attached to the car you will obviously be covered by the car insurance.

Land Rover is now back towing.

The principle of subrogation would apply. In essence if your van is damaged by an insured peril such as fire starting from a neighbour s van. .. you claim on your insurance and if they want to the insurer would pursue the negligent party. Dont worry too much. ... just insure yourself.

3 essentials imo are insurance servicing and recovery my total bill for the 3 including continental recovery was about £600 bargain for getting away so much,legal was £12. 00 with C&CC iirc

Bailey Indiana S. 6 and Hyundai i800 auto

I havent got the van insured, Ive presumed that if the van did cause damage it would more than likely be attached to the car and covered by car insurance? Other than a fire spreading across or a runaway van is there another situation you would need insurance to cover it?

I havent got the van insured, Ive presumed that if the van did cause damage it would more than likely be attached to the car and covered by car insurance? Other than a fire spreading across or a runaway van is there another situation you would need insurance to cover it?

Your car insurance would only cover loss or damage to third parties. It would not normally cover the loss of or damage to your caravan.

Someone could steal your caravan or it could be badly damaged by flood water. The uninsured caravan could suffer other weather events such as lightning damage or even damage caused by hailstones. Reversing your caravan into a solid object could cause considerable damage leading to hefty repair bills

I was told a story today about a man who was in his shed burning cable to remove the plastic. Unfortunately, the fire got out of control and burnt his shed down. Even more unfortunately, it spread to the neighbouring house which was thatched - and listed. The house was also burned to the ground. The householders turned out to be underinsured.

English Heritage appeared, and demanded that the house had to be rebuilt as it was. They pursued and bankrupted the hapless owners. The ruin of the house is still there for all to see, as the costs of rebuilding it as it was are prohibitive. They couldn't do anything about the original idiot burning the cable as he had no assets of consequence and couldn't be sued.

Enjoy every minute of every day. It doesn't last nearly as long as you'd like, and there's no guarantee of coming this way again.

Your car insurance would only cover loss or damage to third parties. It would not normally cover the loss of or damage to your caravan.

Someone could steal your caravan or it could be badly damaged by flood water. The uninsured caravan could suffer other weather events such as lightning damage or even damage caused by hailstones. Reversing your caravan into a solid object could cause considerable damage leading to hefty repair bills

Yes but you only get the market value of the caravan so the longer one keeps the caravan the less it is worth, so if just to pluck a figure out of fresh air of a £1000 if payment would be that or less one might consider not paying for insurance.

Regards, David

Yes but you only get the market value of the caravan so the longer one keeps the caravan the less it is worth, so if just to pluck a figure out of fresh air of a £1000 if payment would be that or less one might consider not paying for insurance.

I was responding to a previous post where the poster was asking of other circumstances for which insurance could be beneficial. The poster did not indicate the worth of the uninsured caravan.

I always like to feel that I am covered for all eventualities.

A few years ago I was on a site in southern France, a caravan belonging to a Dutch family caught fire while they were out for the day.

The fire spread to the van & car next to theirs. I have no idea if they were insured or not, but I thought what if?

It could be £60,000 worth of Range Rover plus £20,000 for a van. Could I afford to pay for that?

Yes, I could but it would seriously damage my future. So I pay £350 a year just to cover the "What If "

2015 SorentoKX2 pulling a 2011 Sterling Eccles Moonstone

The caravan was exactly that, £1000, its a calculated risk, If it gets stolen or damaged it would just have to wait till we could afford to replace or repair, if there was a greater chance of it causing damage or loss to someone elses van then it would be insured appropriately.

Just to clarify my situation since getting our first van last year we have had redundancy looming and money has been tight to say the least, next month will be only our second trip of the year in it, if we were away every week again it might be insured as it would be at greater risk.

We are new to caravanning so how likely is it that a fire would spread? Isnt that why the vans are spaced the way they are on site with bans on windbreaks etc to prevent the spread of fire, if a fire spread how liable is the actual site? if combustible materials have been allowed on the "firebreaks"?

The caravan was exactly that, £1000, its a calculated risk, If it gets stolen or damaged it would just have to wait till we could afford to replace or repair, if there was a greater chance of it causing damage or loss to someone elses van then it would be insured appropriately.

Just to clarify my situation since getting our first van last year we have had redundancy looming and money has been tight to say the least, next month will be only our second trip of the year in it, if we were away every week again it might be insured as it would be at greater risk.

We are new to caravanning so how likely is it that a fire would spread? Isnt that why the vans are spaced the way they are on site with bans on windbreaks etc to prevent the spread of fire, if a fire spread how liable is the actual site? if combustible materials have been allowed on the "firebreaks"?

They have no firebreaks on continental sites and what about the possibility of sparks being carried over to another awning due to the wind,

I just hope I never end up next to someone who wants to save a few bob, by putting me & mine at risk of serious financial loss.

Edited by Steve W77

2015 SorentoKX2 pulling a 2011 Sterling Eccles Moonstone

They have no firebreaks on continental sites and what about the possibility of sparks being carried over to another awning due to the wind,

I just hope I never end up next to someone who wants to save a few bob, by putting me & mine at risk of serious financial loss.

I appreciate your point but what good would insurance be if your awning caught fire due to someones BBQ which is far more likely to happen than the van next door spontaneously combusting isnt it?

Other than the fire situation is there another situation that could incur financial loss to a third party whilst the van was not attached to the tug?

You are extremely brave to admit this on here.

I'd wager that I am more likely to burn my neighbour's house down (accidentally, they are nice people) than I am a neighbouring caravan. Does my home insurance cover damage to other people's homes? I have no idea.

Does my home insurance cover damage to other people's homes? I have no idea.

I may be wrong, but it is my understanding that your insurance would probably not directly cover their loss, but normally they would claim from their insurers, who in turn would seek compensation from yours.

Similarly with a caravan, if theirs is damaged through your fault, their insurance should cover their property, and then their insurer would seek compensation from you (or your insurers). If you are not insured you could face a large bill, or court appearance to recover damages.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

I've just seen this thread and hadn't thought about insurance. Just run a few quotes through go compare and the cheapest cover is £60 for the year. Company is unnamed, are they any good?

Will I need to contact my car insurer and tell them I'm fitting a towbar and will be towing a caravan?

Well, as if by magic the company name disappeared,

Admin comment

Post edited to remove initials, PM to be sent shortly

• 3 weeks later...

Caravan Talk will remove company names on here to cover themselves in case of litigation. If they had left the company name on your post, i. e. "Company is ***, are they any good?" I could reply something like, "I've dealt with them and they are rubbish". The company reads that statement and sues Caravan Talk, not me or you.

As for informing your car insurer about fitting a towbar and towing a caravan, the answer is YES. Most (if not all) insurers wil not charge you extra, but will make a note on your policy that you have a towbar, (classed as a modification to the original car), and that you tow a trailer.

Hope this helps, Mike.

2014 SsangYong Rexton W towing a 2017 Sprite Major 4EB. (After June 9th).

First up, I think it is irresponsible not to have insurance, it's not about the damage you cause to your own, it's damage you may do to others, Imagine your van comes detached on the motorway, imagine the carnage, and you with no insurance on the van, I think you have a tough time trying to use your car insurance for the claim. If you do suffer damage from another van and it is uninsured you have two options, us your own insurance, and it is up to them to recover costs from the guilty party, or take them to court. Don't drag the poor site owner into it, it is not his fault, or problem, so why should he suffer, have you ever been asked to prove insurance when you can to stay on any site, no, so you can't really blame them if a camper has no insurance.

Land Rover Discovery and Conquerer 630

Just to clarify my situation since getting our first van last year we have had redundancy looming and money has been tight to say the least, next month will be only our second trip of the year in it, if we were away every week again it might be insured as it would be at greater risk. We are new to caravanning so how likely is it that a fire would spread? Isnt that why the vans are spaced the way they are on site with bans on windbreaks etc to prevent the spread of fire, if a fire spread how liable is the actual site? if combustible materials have been allowed on the "firebreaks"?

What about damage to the site, the ground, a power pole, loss of income of the site owner, removal of the wreckage, you may get a bill from the fire brigade, as I say in my post, it is irresponsible not to be insured. Edited by Marks

Land Rover Discovery and Conquerer 630

I have always covered my caravan for insurance. When I had old cheap caravans and say a value of £1000 I would cover them for £500 with the about same excess. I was not worried about the cost of van or contents. In 30 years of caravanning I have probably seen 3 runaway vans on site. I have had someone damage my car door whilst manoeuvring a van by hand. I have seen the remnants of a burnt out caravan. I have also seen a caravan drop off the hitch and the owner had not applied the breakaway cable - no idea if it is still covered by the car then? Is it covered by the car if it detaches and the brakes are applied? No idea.

The insurance has not cost a lot and it has been there in the situation where a van runs away or if it burns to the ground or is written off to clear the mess away.

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES