Lunar Quasar 564 2014 Nose Weight

Andy Evs

Hi everyone.

Wonder if someone can offer some advice please?

My parents have just purchased the above caravan. This being their first caravan and me being relatively new to it all also we decided to check the unladen nose weight of it. I was quite shocked to find it weighs 120 kg without a thing in it. Now I understand once items are put in we can shuffle about to balance it to the tow car's recommended 93 kg but doing some maths (please bear with me) 120kg would mean approx 30kg straight away in the rear of the van. So with a 150kg payload split, the rear would have to have 90kg total to balance. To me this doesn't seem normal?

We have contacted the distributor who have no answer for us other than contact Lunar which we are in the process of waiting for a reply. By the way does anyone have a contact number for Lunar?

Can anyone offer any advice please?

Lunar tend to refer you to dealers if you do phone. They have answered emails though.

I think your analogy isn't quite as black and white as you suggest in it would be true IF all the weight was always placed at opposing points at either end of the van. In reality the weight is spread about and I would suggest you load the van initially as you see fit and then weigh the nose. Once you've established the actual noseweight at that point you can set about adjustment.

The noseweight you quote seems a little suspect as they're normally round figures and the lowest of car, towbar, hitch and van. Also be careful how you weigh, because I found my inherited gauge was reading well over and therefore was shifting way too much to the back. When I invested in a BS tested gauge a lot more stuff could be moved to the middle of the van

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

Thank you for the reply.

We tried two different gauges and a bathroom scales and all were very similar.

We have loaded the van but as there is only the 2 of them they tend not to carry too much but if they are to balance it they'll need to carry a lot of unnecessary gear.

They haven't helped themselves by buying an air awning which is light as a feather lol.

One other concern I had was the fact that as the tow bar is rated to 93 kg is it actually safe bringing it hone from the dealer with 30kg more on it????

I'm still very wary of your 93kg figure, it sounds suspiciously unlike any noseweight limit I know of.

What is this the limit for?

What are the limits on the car, the towbar, the van hitch?

Once we know exactly what we're talking about we can advise about driving back from the dealership.

I cannot advise on how safe. I have a noseweight that is too light when empty and that makes the van a little skittish. No great problem as in that situation I keep the speed down. Surprisingly when laden it is about right.

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

Just had a quick trawl of the net and specs range from 90 to 100kgs. So even on the upper limit of 100kgs the van is heavy. The figure is for the tow ball limit. It has a kerb weight of 1684kgs. The vehicle is a VW Tiguan.

How do I find out the hitch limit?

The noseweight limit on the Tiguan is 100Kg.

2018 Swift Elegance 580  towed by a 2018 Volvo XC60 D5 Power Pulse R Design

The industry guideline is to run a van with the noseweight between 5% and 7% of it's total weight, which in the case of the 564 when fully loaded will mean between 68 and 95kg. That is assuming that none of the other components in the rig stipulate a lower weight limit. I believe the Al-Ko hitch has a maximum limit of 100kg and your Tiguan has a limit of 100kg (needs confirming with the handbook). The only other limit we don't know is what should be stamped on your towbar/towball. If any limits are lower then that's the limit of the whole rig.

As to towing when empty, then the recommended 5% to 7% would give you a range of 59kg to 83kg. If the van's noseweight is 125kg when empty then I'd suggest taking along some ballast to allow you to shift it up and down the van 'til you get below 80kg.

One tip is to remove any gas cylinder from up front as these can add 15kg or more each when full.

Noseweight should be as heavy as possible without exceeding any limits imposed by car, towbar or caravan hitch - there's a legal minimum of 4% of trailer loaded weight.

5-7% are just figures plucked out of thin air by UK manufacturers - vehicle manufacturers from other countries use much higher %'s.

Most caravans sold in the UK have a 100kg hitch limit.

Edited by Black Grouse

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

Thank you for the reply.

We tried two different gauges and a bathroom scales and all were very similar.

We have loaded the van but as there is only the 2 of them they tend not to carry too much but if they are to balance it they'll need to carry a lot of unnecessary gear.

They haven't helped themselves by buying an air awning which is light as a feather lol.

One other concern I had was the fact that as the tow bar is rated to 93 kg is it actually safe bringing it hone from the dealer with 30kg more on it????

I don't trust bathroom scales, I used mine to get a reading and then checked the weight with my Milenco which is guaranteed to be accurate to with 1% and the Bathroom scales read 15kg higher then the milenco guage

2022 Pilote P696GJ for European touring-  2022 Coachman VIP 565 for touring the UK towed by a 2020 Kia Sportage GT line S

I don't trust bathroom scales,

Funny that - I use them every day and they have never given an accurate reading - I'm not over weight, I'm just not tall enough . . . :D

I am happy with bathroom scales. I have a dedicated set. I can check the calibration easily by weighing myself on our proper bathroom scales and checking the ones for the caravan.

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

We used 2 different new calibrated gauges and the bathroom scales. All were within a couple of kgs so it's a fair reading. Has anyone else ever weighed their vans completely empty as in the condition on collection from a dealer, if so what reading did you get?

There's been an awful lot of debate about initial noseweight on CT, mainly, but not exclusively around the fact that only certain manufacturers publish empty noseweight these days.

There appear to be two possible reasons for this, one being the potential for inaccurate information due to the substantial tolerances inherent in caravan manufacture, which might mislead people and that as the noseweight can be varied very simply and easily by the positioning of payload it renders the empty nosewight relatively immaterial, except for an unballasted initial trip home.

But my point is they would have to carry a lot of potentially unnecessary gear just to balance the nose. The 120kgs is without a gas bottle which could then put an extra 7-10kgs on. So they'd have to firstly balance it with around 30kg of gear.

Most of the storage space in this van is at the front which would render it useless whilst towing cos obviously for every kg you'd put in the front you'd have to put one in the back.

Anyway I think we're are going off topic a bit. Does the 120kgs seem right or excessive? And has anyone else weighed an unladen van before?

I know some people have and I suspect that if you put 'noseweight' in the search box you'll find plenty.

In my case I overlooked checking the noseweight when I collected the van in June last year and drove it home 200 miles or so from Worthing. When I came to take it on its first real trip it was already loaded with two gas cylinders and gear. At that point it read circa 125kg and I needed around 75kg. Removing one gas cylinder helped, as did moving any small heavy stuff into the rear dinette lockers and only having pillows under the front benches. All that I had left to 'play' with was the circa 30kg of awning. I found that by placing that right at the back, between the dinette seats, the noseweight came down to what I wanted.

It was only much later that I purchased a BS standard gauge that I found the noseweight so loaded was actually 45kg and I was able to shift the awning to midships.

It would be refreshing if the supplying dealer took more of an interest in this aspect, as part of their handover procedure.

When I went to pick up my caravan, I asked the dealer what the noseweight was likely to be as we were hitching up.

Answer: "Dunno Mate, you should be alright"

Volvo XC70 D5 Auto SE Lux

Bailey Unicorn Valencia

• 2 weeks later...

We've got the same problem with our Lunar Cosmos 546.

It is stripped bare inside and the front locker contains 2 gas bottles, a hosepipe, a couple of towels, an empty plastic jerry can and the waste hose. We weighed it last week and the caravan dropped down on the noseweight gague with such force that it broke the base.

We have just weighed it again with our newly purchasednew Milenco gague and it is coming up at 125 kg unladen.

We can remove one of the gas bottles for our trip and load as best we can but we still find that we are having to put the majority of our payload to the rear of the axle and I have been told that this creates instability problems.

As we are travelling all the way down to the Dordogne we want to ensure we are loaded as safely as possible.

Putting payload to the rear of an axle is OK, it's putting too much payload too far back that causes instability. If you think about it by putting weight to the rear of an axle you are only balancing weight that already exists in front of the axle. Problems arise when a lot of weight is put at the extreme rear as that can obviously act like a pendulum.

Try and reduce weight up front as much as possible and load some heavy stuff just aft of the axle, then shift it back and forth 'til you get a noseweight you're happy with.